Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Oil Issues

Old 12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Issues

Ok heres the deal,

I took my X Fire in for a oil change about 2 months ago. Then all of a sudden the oil light came on. They topped the oil off and the light has gone away. Then the car started leaking order about 4 days later out of the bottom and accumulating on the bottom of the car. It made a huge mess in my drive way. Then after that happened I took it back once more and was irrate. They claimed it was just a bit of an overfill and that it should go away. They were right it doesnt leak anymore.

Fast Forward one Month -

Yesterday I took the car to goodyear for them to mount a new back left tire. They apparently saw the oil on the bottom of the car. Then the old phone call technique was in place. They called and said that my seal was broken and it was still leaking oil, the oil ruined my belt, and is "ruining" my engine. They claimed they needed a new seal for 140.00, new belt for 300.00, new belt tension ring or some crap for 200.00, and finally labor costs of 100.00. The total quoted for the alleged issue for 740.00. Here are my questions for you.

1. Why the heck did they open the engine for a tire mount? Were they looking for issues just because they saw oil on the bottom of the car?
2. Is this a common problem and could they be telling the truth?
3. What are the prices normally for replacing a belt?
4. Can you give me part numbers or sources to search for them?
5. Where should I go to get a second opinion and will they charge me a butt load?
6. The car passed emmissions only 3 weeks ago.

Please help an ignorant car owner.

Thanks,

Ryan

Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 PM
TVT_DESIGN
Default Re: Oil Issues

Where are you located?

I really wish more customers were in driving distance of NJ. We'd have a lot more satisfied Crossfire owners.

First, I can't imagine what seal they are talking about as the motor is more or less gasketless, just some silicon in its place.

Second, I don't see how this is ruining your belt, about a $35.00 part, or your non-existent tension ring. Are they talking about the idler pulley?

If I'm familiar with where you are located I'll recommend a reputable shop for you.

Good luck.

Anthony

Old 12-17-2008, 04:49 PM

Hi Anthony,

I am in Norcross GA. 30 Minutes outside of Atlanta. He just said the "seal is Broken" on the phone. 730.00 later he wanted me to get a new belt, fix the seal, and replace some sort of tension part to do with the belt. I would appreciate any referral you can give.

Best,

Ryan

Old 12-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about all that. Another reason why I always change my own oil & filter since it is an easy thing to do and don't want any bozo overfilling or underfilling my baby! Is underfilling even a word?

Old 12-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you see where it's leaking from? My guess would be it's leaking around the filter cap or the drain plug and they're just trying to screw you. I would have another place look at it.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Forum Regular

what kind of shop did u take it too.. goodyear / firestone / dealer/ shadetree.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by huudoo
what kind of shop did u take it too.. goodyear / firestone / dealer/ shadetree.
He says he took it to Goodyear...First sentence, second paragraph

Old 12-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First I'm thinkin because this all came about shortly after an oil change that they either didn't replace or damaged the upper Oring on the filter housing. Second, belts donot cost 300 bucks, Third, find a more reputable shop to take it to.

just my Dos Centavos