Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Power Steering Flush

Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Flush

Hey guys,

I want to do a power steering flush on the '04 Alabaster but am having trouble finding the return hose. Right now, I'm going off what is posted on the MBWorld (C320 2002 Power Steering Flush DIY - MBWorld.org Forums) and what is posted in repair manual.

I'm a pretty good DIY'er but do not want to pay for somebody else to touch my car. Could use some of the forum's expertise. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts
Default Re: Power Steering Flush

Originally Posted by edgehead2000
Hey guys,

I want to do a power steering flush on the '04 Alabaster but am having trouble finding the return hose. Right now, I'm going off what is posted on the MBWorld (C320 2002 Power Steering Flush DIY - MBWorld.org Forums) and what is posted in repair manual.

I'm a pretty good DIY'er but do not want to pay for somebody else to touch my car. Could use some of the forum's expertise. Thanks.
There are only two hoses, the fluid transfers directly from the reservoir to the pump. It passes through the flange at the top of the pump, item 4 in the diagram is the retainer that locks the joint.
Hose #6 is the return hose.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-06-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There are only two hoses, the fluid transfers directly from the reservoir to the pump. It passes through the flange at the top of the pump, item 4 in the diagram is the retainer that locks the joint.
Hose #6 is the return hose.
Umm... Is that right? The manual is a bit confusing because I don't think they clarify where the return hose is.

They list their instructions as:

1. Remove the accessory drive belt (1). Refer to Page 7-45.
2. Remove the oil in the power steering reservoir (5).
3. Remove the power steering supply line (6) from the reservoir.
4. Remove the return hose from the power steering pump.
5. Remove the high-pressure hose (2) from the power steering pump.
6. Remove the power steering pump by removing the two bolts (3) attaching it to the engine block.
7. Remove the reservoir if necessary, by pressing out the c-clip (4) using a suitable tool.

The only hose I see on the pump is the High-Pressure Hose.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by edgehead2000

Umm... Is that right? The manual is a bit confusing because I don't think they clarify where the return hose is.

They list their instructions as:

1. Remove the accessory drive belt (1). Refer to Page 7-45.
2. Remove the oil in the power steering reservoir (5).
3. Remove the power steering supply line (6) from the reservoir.
4. Remove the return hose from the power steering pump.
5. Remove the high-pressure hose (2) from the power steering pump.
6. Remove the power steering pump by removing the two bolts (3) attaching it to the engine block.
7. Remove the reservoir if necessary, by pressing out the c-clip (4) using a suitable tool.

The only hose I see on the pump is the High-Pressure Hose.
I agree, but the hose #6 comes from the radiator and another hose comes from the steering gear and goes to the radiator.
The fluid leaves the reservoir via that flange and goes directly to the pump, exits the pump via the high pressure hose going to the steering gear, exits the steering gear to the radiator and returns from the radiator to the reservoir via hose #6.
You can see that hose #6 comes from the radiator.
I think they have an error in their write up.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-07-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 AM

THANKS A LOT!!

I knew I wasn't crazy. This is why I love this forum.

So, to change the power steering fluid:

1. Siphon out the reservoir
2. Unscrew the return hose (aka supply line) from the reservoir and route to empty container
3. Block reservoir to return hose opening with something (suggestions? )
3. Put some fluid in the reservoir
4. While car is lifted, turn steering wheel left and right to its limits up to 30 times
5. Refill reservoir until full and no air is in the system
6. Repeat #3-5 until fluid does not settle anymore and all old fluid is purged into container

Sounds easy enough. Thanks!

Old 05-19-2016, 12:06 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a new reservoir and o-ring but what about the c-clip? I think this is where the leak is or am hoping it nis as it is the easiest to access. Where can I get a c-clip or is it reusable? Anyone?

Old 05-19-2016, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet2002
I have a new reservoir and o-ring but what about the c-clip? I think this is where the leak is or am hoping it nis as it is the easiest to access. Where can I get a c-clip or is it reusable? Anyone?
C-clips hold things together and in contact with one another, they do not act as seals. If the part is not cracked then it would be OK to use, is it steel or plastic?

Old 05-16-2022, 07:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So, does the Serpentine belt need to be removed for this?
2 graphics say to remove it, and then one doesn't say anything about it at all. It appears that Edgehead's post is the closest to correct. But don't you need to have the engine running? Or do you just turn the steering wheel manually with the engine off?
Also, it says to do this 35 times lock to lock? How much fluid is required, based on it being constantly lost into the waste container?. I ordered 2 liters of Pentosin, but I am thinking I may need 2 more liters, or even 6, to go for 35 cycles of the steering gear. Anyone who has done this, please tell me what your fluid consumption is per cycle, and how much total Pentosin you needed to complete the flushing cycle.
Does anyone have the MB part numbers for the hoses? Since I am doing this, I would like to install all new hoses in my power steering system. My car is now 18 years old, and I doubt any of them have ever been changed, especially with only 30,000 miles on the vehicle.
Thanks, everyone!