Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Turbo Project about to begin but decision needed

Old 10-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Project about to begin but decision needed

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
As far as the M/T goes you may get your wish as the the first cars may be a M/T coupe and my automatic.
I'm gettin' antsy...

Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Worth mentioning is the attention to detail that goes into the "nuts and bolts" of every Bell Engineering Kit (every one that I have installed).

Top quality components precisely prepped as necessary
Step by Step Instructions with ample pictures.
parts neatly organized in bags labeled with installation sequence/step
top grade (correct grade) hardware and AN style fitting
custom fittings as required (I remember custom british pipe thread adapters in one kit !)
top quality hose clamps (no serrations or sharp edges)
very high quality "bits and pieces" ingeniously devised, carefully fabricated, and often powdercoated
Surprising extras ... I remember one kit came with a large drill bit & tap for adding oilpan return fitting

I don't beleive in compromise in such areas, and the attention to detail in his Kits sets the bar very high in my opinion.

Chris

Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is there anyone who latemodel doesnt now!!! sounds a solid plan bob and i hope it come to pass. would love to see john pushing 10 psi and rowing gears!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

count me in.. im looking to make big power and wanna keep my limited xfire so this seems like the start of something wonderful.. especially for the price n/a x fires can be bought at, my buddy bought his n/a for 5 grand and with this kit he still wouldnt be out the door 10k!

-Jason

Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 AM

Oh, boy, I wish I lived in USA)))
Your prices are so... tasty))
Wish u good luck with this project

Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Glebozavrrr
Oh, boy, I wish I lived in USA)))
Your prices are so... tasty))
Wish u good luck with this project
You are in luck. Bell Engineering does ship kits internationally!

Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

$3,500!
Get it built and I may have to buy one!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 AM

I am still waiting for a San Antonio TX Crossfire to confirm they will take the car to Corky's shop for a visual inspection.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Thumbs up Re: Turbo Project about to begin but decision needed

Put me on the list for one. I was just thinking about selling my Crossfire and turboing my Fiero, then I decided to see if anything new is happening in Crossfireland and came across this thread. If I can turbo the Crossfire it's a keeper. If I was closer to San Antonio they could use my car for as long as needed.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bill00
Put me on the list for one. I was just thinking about selling my Crossfire and turboing my Fiero, then I decided to see if anything new is happening in Crossfireland and came across this thread. If I can turbo the Crossfire it's a keeper. If I was closer to San Antonio they could use my car for as long as needed.
Definetely hold on to the Crossfire a little longer.

We have a volunteer to take their car to Corky. I have been talking to Corky Bell and Brandon at Kleeman daily and we have most of this this figured out. We just need Corky to see a car to figure out the the best location for the turbo and map out the system.

The BIG difference in this project compared to others is the fueling is already figured out. We really just need to map out and design the physical location of the components. There isn't a lot of wasted space to take advantage of in a Crossfire! Corky told me today that he and his team have never been stumped yet. Today I looked at the area just below the cats t see if two small turbo's can be used but it looks like the turbo's would drag on the gound. The best area's that I can see is the area where SRT's have a resonator or the nice big long tunell where the muffler is. Can't wait to find out how Corky wants to do it! We will know more soon.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Definetely hold on to the Crossfire a little longer.

We have a volunteer to take their car to Corky. I have been talking to Corky Bell and Brandon at Kleeman daily and we have most of this this figured out. We just need Corky to see a car to figure out the the best location for the turbo and map out the system.

The BIG difference in this project compared to others is the fueling is already figured out. We really just need to map out and design the physical location of the components. There isn't a lot of wasted space to take advantage of in a Crossfire! Corky told me today that he and his team have never been stumped yet. Today I looked at the area just below the cats t see if two small turbo's can be used but it looks like the turbo's would drag on the gound. The best area's that I can see is the area where SRT's have a resonator or the nice big long tunell where the muffler is. Can't wait to find out how Corky wants to do it! We will know more soon.
Keep me posted! Car is on standby... racing in a week but free afterwards.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Keep me posted! Car is on standby... racing in a week but free afterwards.
We have a volunteer who will bring his car to Corky for inspection. Just trying to coordinate a meeting time. After that we should be ready for your car!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Sounds promising. The only places I see putting a turbo is in place of the muffler like STS does or maybe over top of the transmission in between the engine and firewall.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bill00
Sounds promising. The only places I see putting a turbo is in place of the muffler like STS does or maybe over top of the transmission in between the engine and firewall.
I was thinking about that today...

Two small snail turbos behind each log manifold, neatly coming up and over the valve covers into a surge tank (like the SRT, only backwards)... or even both feeding into a 74mm Y-pipe, dumping into the throttle body like the single Needswings. Plug the MAF in, run a resistor to the MAF cable to bypass the rising rate crap with the MAF, and VOILA!

That would be tidy, easy install and keeps the boost lag (a problem with rear-mounts) to a minimum.

My *only* issue with rear-mount systems is the clearance... After seeing Eric's piping take a hit on the Devil's Triangle, I'm a bit nervous about hanging pipes under there.

I plan on working on some sketches to integrate the E-320 enginge cover used commonly with the NW intakes... Nestling a BOV in the cavity seems like a perfect filler for the otherwise unsightly hole.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it is just me, but I saw an STS car and the turbo hung down farther than anything else on the underbelly of the car. I already have trouble with larger speed bumps due to the lowering, it would have to snug up in there NICELY for it to really make sense...

I have faith

Old 10-26-2011, 01:51 PM

Keep the faith!

Corky will not build an undrivable or dangerous kit. He also claims he has never been stumped. I am very anxious to see what he comes up with. That said, it is fun to speculate about what he might come up with. I have been all over my car trying to figure this out. I sent him a picture of a rear mount Crossfire that was not Eric's car. This had an oval charfge pipe to increase clearance. Some guys run the charge pipe under the rocker sills, but I don't think we have room there either. There is another cut out under the car on the other side of where our exhaust pipe is. It looks like the floor pan was designed for dual exhaust. Since we don't have dual exhaust other stuff is filling that area. Maybe relocate that crap and put the charge pipe in there? The picture I sent Corky had the turbo mounted in the same place as Eric's twin charge car, but I am betting if Corky goes rear mount, he will put it in the big long tunnel where the muffler is. this at least will keep the turbo out of harms way and he just has to worry about tucking the charge out of harms way. Here is another idea, cut out the secondary cats and put the primary ones there and put two small turbo's where the primary cats used to be? I know Cats are supposed to be closer to the exhaust manifold but maybe this would work.

Edit: I just looked under my car again and the channel I was thinking of is on both sides. Looks like fuel lines are in the left side and brake lines are in the right side. On this install they used oval pipe and used the channel on the right. This appears to have much more ground clearance than Eric's car, but not sure how much more.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 10-26-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Wow - that rear-mount setup by the muffler is creative but I really hope they can come up with something that doesn't involve 5 feet of boost piping! That's a lot of air volume to keep pressurized in there...

Excited to see what Corky comes up with; this is pretty exciting!

Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

fantastic, i bought "Maximun Boost" back in the 90's, still have it

Old 10-26-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
Same here. I bought the book years ago and have been looking everywhere for it! I want to find it and have Corky sign it when I meet up with him.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
i have an autographed copy : )

it is amazing, Corky knows more about turbocharging than I know about ANY subject I am supposed to be an expert on.

.... one of the nicest people you will ever meet too !

Chris

Quick Reply: Turbo Project about to begin but decision needed