Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Catch can with a catchy appearance

Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Catch can with a catchy appearance

Hmmmm....no one has answered my question:

Does the NW catch can have anything inside it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by deltacrossfirebob
i went with the best...needswings.
seems that these cheapos need some mods to be legit.
extra fitting or internal work.
not worth the problem.
i just plugged and ran.
simple.
keep up the great work rob.
Best? Ooookayyy.

Most expensive? Oooookayyyy?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Best? Ooookayyy.

Most expensive? Oooookayyyy?
I Was thinking with that statement I would buy one on ebay..mod.. sell it to him and guarantee twice the filtration.. or half your money back.. LOL...
STill be a win for me!

Sure would like to see the test results myself. Filters your bank account... Okay I'll give you that one.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 PM

"3 chambered internal design with stainless steel filtration media."

Per their website.

I'll be happy with the reverse osmosis coupled with stainless steel media. 80 thousand miles without anything, so I'm sure she'll be a happy camper too.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also "tig welded 6061 billet aluminum".
not a recycled beer can from china.
you also have a real person you can communicate with.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:27 PM

Step up to the "expensive" 35 dollar ones.. screws securing assembly together.. Some of the heaviest beer cans you'll ever put your lips to. Or go crazy and pull up the 65 dollar ones.. still a half price sale over NW.

Its a figgin oil mist collector.. not a flux capacitor!

Footnote.. 240,000 miles on my v-6 chevy truck without one.. I'll think we'll be okay with these..

Old 03-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

I always find it strange that everything is 'billet' this or 'billet' that. We have billet grilles as well, what else would be used? It's not cast, it's not sheet, it's just plain bar stock or tube something you can pick up at the Home Depot. Most commonly seen bar stock is billet and it is just a generalization, nothing special.

I would just call the example here 6061 seamless tube, far more descriptive and I am guessing at the seamless part of it and maybe add -T6 to the 6061 if it was tempered.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:33 PM

Now that could be invaluable.. I've looked and cant for the life of me find the torque specs for the hose clamps.. guess that's worth an extra hundred peso's...

Old 03-22-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I always find it strange that everything is 'billet' this or 'billet' that. We have billet grilles as well, what else would be used? It's not cast, it's not sheet, it's just plain bar stock or tube something you can pick up at the Home Depot. Most commonly seen bar stock is billet and it is just a generalization, nothing special.

I would just call the example here 6061 seamless tube, far more descriptive and I am guessing at the seamless part of it and maybe add -T6 to the 6061 if it was tempered.
Like it's an airplane skin here.. 1/16 thick 3003 I'm sure could survive the vacuum and pressures involved.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Like it's an airplane skin here.. 1/16 thick 3003 I'm sure could survive the vacuum and pressures involved.
There is no vacuum involved here, we have a difference in pressures.
I tend to be specific.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Hmmmm....no one has answered my question:
Does the NW catch can have anything inside it?
Inquiring minds want to know.
absolutely

"How does it "put the oil back in the engine where it belongs" ?
Maybe Rob needs to add this feature to his can ? "

you sure as hell do not want to put that crud back into your motor!

as for level sights, i did not do them on our cans for several reasons, if you try a ebay can with them you will soon figure out why

Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
absolutely

"How does it "put the oil back in the engine where it belongs" ?
Maybe Rob needs to add this feature to his can ? "

you sure as hell do not want to put that crud back into your motor!

as for level sights, i did not do them on our cans for several reasons, if you try a ebay can with them you will soon figure out why
Rob, thank you. Perfect answer on all accounts.

As for the "sight tube", do the insides crud up and make it unreadable? Does it act as a by-pass and allow crud to pass through (my first guess)?

C'mon, bud...SELL YOUR PRODUCT, HERE!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

max i have robs product and the best way to sell it is this, when i empty the catch can i get almost 2 ozs of oily fluid out. it is a perfect fit and everything is included. lastly i dont mind paying for a quality product and supporting one of the few vendors we have. catch rob when he is having a sale and get it for a discount you wont be dissapointed. of course you could chrome it for more bling if you want!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Ok, yes there are 3 chambers to our internal design, the air has to go thruthe maze to get out (while being low restriction) and the oil gets collectedalong its path. There is an enter/cleaning chamber, a collection chamber andfinally the clean exit chamber. We have the top, bottom, chamber and bracketpieces cnc waterjet cut to ensure consistency.
I have a few universal catch cans here on the shelf collecting dust that welooked at before designing our can. None of them do squat for actuallycollecting the oil; they are all just blingy canisters. I didn’t want to haveto build cans then, I wanted to get a universal can and make a xfire specificinstall kit to use with a premade can. That soon became apparent that it neededto be purpose built from scratch. After seeing the amount of crap that we catchin these cans we have kept the same internal design (which rocks IMO) and madespecific mounting brackets for several other cars. I have NEVER seen one of ourcans fail in either function or structure (including the mounting brackets),that is a hard thing to say for sure as we have made more than a ton of them bynow.
As for it not being "blingy" enough, well we designed the kit tobe hidden, it blends in as if it were meant to be there. We coat 90% of themblack. If someone asks for a certain color that is not a problem. off the topof my head we have done them in black, silver, dark grey, red, yellow, blue, burgundy,a funky lime green and we even had one coated in san jose sharks turquoise fora customer again, in my opinion, a catch can should not be an attentiongrabber, it should be invisible and the attention should be brought to theparts that deserve it.
For the mounting bracket, i am just as proud of the mounting bracket as I amof the internal design. The bracketry to mount the can in the xfire or 170slkis the coolest mounting bracket I have ever seen! It securely mounts in 2points with 1 bolt. It doesn’t interfere with anything along its path, is easyto drain (I recommend draining it every oil change), and should outlast thecar.
There have been many nights at xfire gatherings when I was speaking to otherowners and talking about their cars when they tell me they have my can on thecar and have never drained their cans. the conversation at that point itusually me picking up a plastic cup from the ground in the parking lotsomewhere and going to drain their cans for them and watching their jaws dropto the amount of guck that drains out of it.
We also include everything that is needed for the install including all theclamps, hoses, fittings and instructions. There is not nearly the profit marginon these cans as many of you think.
As for the level sight, bad design all together as it is destined to fail. Wetried doing one of those on a srt4 can several years before we got our xfire,we went thru every type of hose imaginable to use for it and they all failed. Firstthey turn brown so you can't see thru them, then they break down from liquid. Idon’t even want to call it oil at that point as it is mixed with watercondensation and turns milky. Then the level indicator hose (which you haven’tbeen able to read anyways) cracks and leaks that garbage all over your enginebay (potential fire) and causes a massive vacuum leak for you. This isn’t amotorcycle crank case with a window sight with clean oil in it; this is thegarbage we don’t want!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 PM

Ok, yes there are 3 chambers to our internal design, the air has to go thruthe maze to get out (while being low restriction) and the oil gets collectedalong its path. There is an enter/cleaning chamber, a collection chamber andfinally the clean exit chamber. We have the top, bottom, chamber and bracketpieces cnc waterjet cut to ensure consistency.
I have a few universal catch cans here on the shelf collecting dust that welooked at before designing our can. None of them do squat for actuallycollecting the oil; they are all just blingy canisters. I didn’t want to haveto build cans then, I wanted to get a universal can and make a xfire specificinstall kit to use with a premade can. That soon became apparent that it neededto be purpose built from scratch. After seeing the amount of crap that we catchin these cans we have kept the same internal design (which rocks IMO) and madespecific mounting brackets for several other cars. I have NEVER seen one of ourcans fail in either function or structure (including the mounting brackets),that is a hard thing to say for sure as we have made more than a ton of them bynow.
As for it not being "blingy" enough, well we designed the kit tobe hidden, it blends in as if it were meant to be there. We coat 90% of themblack. If someone asks for a certain color that is not a problem. off the topof my head we have done them in black, silver, dark grey, red, yellow, blue, burgundy,a funky lime green and we even had one coated in san jose sharks turquoise fora customer again, in my opinion, a catch can should not be an attentiongrabber, it should be invisible and the attention should be brought to theparts that deserve it.
For the mounting bracket, i am just as proud of the mounting bracket as I amof the internal design. The bracketry to mount the can in the xfire or 170slkis the coolest mounting bracket I have ever seen! It securely mounts in 2points with 1 bolt. It doesn’t interfere with anything along its path, is easyto drain (I recommend draining it every oil change), and should outlast thecar.
There have been many nights at xfire gatherings when I was speaking to otherowners and talking about their cars when they tell me they have my can on thecar and have never drained their cans. the conversation at that point itusually me picking up a plastic cup from the ground in the parking lotsomewhere and going to drain their cans for them and watching their jaws dropto the amount of guck that drains out of it.
We also include everything that is needed for the install including all theclamps, hoses, fittings and instructions. There is not nearly the profit marginon these cans as many of you think.
As for the level sight, bad design all together as it is destined to fail. Wetried doing one of those on a srt4 can several years before we got our xfire,we went thru every type of hose imaginable to use for it and they all failed. Firstthey turn brown so you can't see thru them, then they break down from liquid. Idon’t even want to call it oil at that point as it is mixed with watercondensation and turns milky. Then the level indicator hose (which you haven’tbeen able to read anyways) cracks and leaks that garbage all over your enginebay (potential fire) and causes a massive vacuum leak for you. This isn’t amotorcycle crank case with a window sight with clean oil in it; this is thegarbage we don’t want!
Well said.
I should put mine on.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you!

Your website is very informative but this really helped answer all my questions.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 PM

wow, please forgive all the typo's

Old 03-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I always knew I loved mine, but now I understand why LOL. Thanks for the explanation Rob!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:13 AM

wow, please forgive all the typo's
Sir,

I forgive nothing. BUT, that was well explained and defended. Now, to decide to design and build my own or buy one of yours. My intake mani is coming off in the next couple of weeks for a cleaning, beadblasting and paint. Perfect timing, huh?

Well done, Rob. Well done.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Sir,

I forgive nothing. BUT, that was well explained and defended. Now, to decide to design and build my own or buy one of yours. My intake mani is coming off in the next couple of weeks for a cleaning, beadblasting and paint. Perfect timing, huh?

Well done, Rob. Well done.
Buy Rob's and paint it RED, then you have function and bling .....

( I'll sell you mine for $200 painted red with a Fred's spray can )

Quick Reply: Catch can with a catchy appearance