Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Drive shaft flexible disc

Old 09-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to drop the differential by taking out the 3 bolts you'll get enough room to wiggle in the rear flex disc.

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I'm sure that torquing them with the "suspension
compressed (wheels UP) would be just fine. Drive-on lift as opposed to a frame lift.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Default Re: Drive shaft flexible disc

Originally Posted by turbomar
Not 100% sure but I believe so
Thanks. I hope you're right, I'm going to get two from rockauto... Hopefully get the car up on a lift for the discs and trans oil not this weekend, but the next.

BTW, I'm not understanding the torque with car on the ground. This is an IRS. The driveshaft shouldn't know or care where the suspension is. Does it have something to do with not relying on the trans to hold the shaft while torqueing (however you spell that) the bolts (in which case it would seem having the parking brake applied would work), or am I really missing something here?

Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by closer9
Thanks. I hope you're right, I'm going to get two from rockauto... Hopefully get the car up on a lift for the discs and trans oil not this weekend, but the next.

BTW, I'm not understanding the torque with car on the ground. This is an IRS. The driveshaft shouldn't know or care where the suspension is. Does it have something to do with not relying on the trans to hold the shaft while torqueing (however you spell that) the bolts (in which case it would seem having the parking brake applied would work), or am I really missing something here?
It has to do with dropping the diff and reinstalling the 3 bolts holding it. When I replaced the rear disc, I left the diff mounted. Instead, I used a prybar to push the drive shaft forward enough to clear the pilot shaft on the yoke. No need to apply the park brakes since you will have to hold the bolt and nut with 2 wrenches.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Forum Regular

can someone just post a rock auto link for the flexdiscs ? that way we can all have it here when we need to buy it

Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Part-specific links do not work for Rockauto.com I've tried before.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Forum Regular

darn , are there any other sites that sell them we can get a link of? for some reason searching by part number on rock auto i got nothing

Old 02-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by falshami
darn , are there any other sites that sell them we can get a link of? for some reason searching by part number on rock auto i got nothing
Your Parts Search Returned 3 Part(s)

2004 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK320 Parts - Mercedes Benz Parts, Mercedes Accessories: Buy Discount Genuine Mercedes OEM Auto Parts, Low Prices

And also Rob at Needswings.com has them.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by turbomar
It has to do with dropping the diff and reinstalling the 3 bolts holding it. When I replaced the rear disc, I left the diff mounted. Instead, I used a prybar to push the drive shaft forward enough to clear the pilot shaft on the yoke. No need to apply the park brakes since you will have to hold the bolt and nut with 2 wrenches.
Hi, can I ask you more about using a bar to lever the prop shaft forwards to clear the pilot shaft - Is there some play or were you just compressing the front rubber disk? it must have been a tight squeeze to get the rear one in place?
Was it confirmed that the SRT has the same part 210 411 0415? My 2007 SRT has cracks and looks like its got to come out! Was the exhaust in the way?
Thanks, Steve

Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
Hi, can I ask you more about using a bar to lever the prop shaft forwards to clear the pilot shaft - Is there some play or were you just compressing the front rubber disk? it must have been a tight squeeze to get the rear one in place?
Was it confirmed that the SRT has the same part 210 411 0415? My 2007 SRT has cracks and looks like its got to come out! Was the exhaust in the way?
Thanks, Steve
Not sure if srt disc is the same but guessing yes. I was just shifting the hanger bearing rubber forward. You'll see once you get there. Exhaust is not in the way

Old 06-01-2013, 02:47 PM

Hey guys, is this the correct fit for the car on rock auto? 2104100815
Its for the slk 320 1994- 1997

Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Forum Regular

Why would MB use this instead of a u joint? The u joint seems like it would be stronger, and more durable.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Abaton6
Why would MB use this instead of a u joint? The u joint seems like it would be stronger, and more durable.
$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 06-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Abaton6
A U joint is generally used in a scenario where there is a large degree of angle varience between two spinning components in one plane. In the case of our cars, there is very little difference in alignment between the components, the flex disk is more for smoothing out the shock transients between the transmission and the differential.
A U joint has no value in shock dampening.

Of course, that's just my opinion, but I stick by it......

Old 06-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
A U joint is generally used in a scenario where there is a large degree of angle varience between two spinning components in one plane. In the case of our cars, there is very little difference in alignment between the components, the flex disk is more for smoothing out the shock transients between the transmission and the differential.
A U joint has no value in shock dampening.

Of course, that's just my opinion, but I stick by it......
You are correct. A conventional live rear axle setup has the differential going up-and-down. Our diffs are stationary to the driveline and rest of the chassis.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Forum Regular

Just wanted to add some part numbers for the SRT6.

As we can all tell from Chryslers part listings they do not show a flex disc kit for the SRT6, only the NA. Now I am not saying one is not out there somewhere in Chrysler land but here is what I found today.

The SRT uses two part numbers A 203 411 00 15 for the rear and A 210 411 02 15. Now here is where things get interesting! Mercedes dealers do have these, however the part casting number is not the part number on the boxes. Normally we see A170 for the slk32 and those are the part numbers on the bag, at least in my experience.

The units I picked up today are the a 000 411 02 00 and a 230 410 01 05

Not the real kicker is that if you use the casting part numbers at the dealer, only one of them is available in the US, the other one comes up as a Euro part only and must match to a euro vin. Funny thing is that one of the part numbers above is actually that part.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinity
Just wanted to add some part numbers for the SRT6.

As we can all tell from Chryslers part listings they do not show a flex disc kit for the SRT6, only the NA. Now I am not saying one is not out there somewhere in Chrysler land but here is what I found today.

The SRT uses two part numbers A 203 411 00 15 for the rear and A 210 411 02 15. Now here is where things get interesting! Mercedes dealers do have these, however the part casting number is not the part number on the boxes. Normally we see A170 for the slk32 and those are the part numbers on the bag, at least in my experience.

The units I picked up today are the a 000 411 02 00 and a 230 410 01 05

Not the real kicker is that if you use the casting part numbers at the dealer, only one of them is available in the US, the other one comes up as a Euro part only and must match to a euro vin. Funny thing is that one of the part numbers above is actually that part.
This is not always true, the numbers after the A are the car series that the part was originally made for, So if an SLK32 used a part from a previous model that part number would stay the same, if there was a slight change in the part for the SLK then the first numbers would stay the same but it would have the revision numbers and update numbers changed. Or something like that.
000 numbered parts are parts that could go on various models and are not model specific.
That's my understanding of the numbering system.

See this thread for more details.

Autohausaz parts

Pelican Parts

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-06-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Forum Regular
Old 07-27-2014, 11:47 AM

05127495AA taken from the 2004 Chrysler Parts Catalog PDF

This part says its for DGU transmission type (5-Speed Automatic) but is this also the correct part for the 04 limited NA manual transmission? Also is it the exact same part for both front and back?

Old 07-27-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by dom03
05127495AA taken from the 2004 Chrysler Parts Catalog PDF

This part says its for DGU transmission type (5-Speed Automatic) but is this also the correct part for the 04 limited NA manual transmission? Also is it the exact same part for both front and back?
According to Rob at Needswings, different parts :
Engine

You make the call ......

Old 07-28-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
According to Rob at Needswings, different parts :
Engine

You make the call ......
From what I have found from the chrysler parts catalog, looking at another years parts catalog book I can see it's still the same part number for both manual and automatic transmission.

Not sure why rob at needswings has the item listed separately for rear and front, I can only guess this is because his listing the Mercedes part rather than the Chrysler oem part, and also to help people when searching for both rear and front when browsing the parts on his website, they look identical to me.

If anyone else can confirm this that would be great but I am pretty certain as per the parts catalog there is only one part number listed for this item and they are identical.

Quick Reply: Drive shaft flexible disc