Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

TCU tune info

Old 10-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default TCU tune info

From Evotech Motorsports and still in testing. But I've some information to start with. "S" mode is bone stock. Shifts, redline and all other stock transmission programing remains stock. Works in drive or manual mode with no change what so ever.

"W" mode. You can upshift manually quite early and it will hold the gear. It WILL downshift when you reach 1000 rpm, more or less, from the gear you are in. For instance, poking along in 5th and slowing. Reach 1000 rpm and it downshifts to 4th, reach 1000 again and it downshifts to 3rd, etc. until you come to a stop in which case it returns to first. However it won't upshift. Having been in 5th and now in first, without touching anything, you stay in first. You have to tell it to upshift. Upshifts are "on demand only". Therefore it keeps a minimal downshift function so you don't stall. I tried to get my car to downshift from 3rd by flooring the gas pedal but from 2000 rpm and perhaps even lower, it won't. I hit the warp speed button and it held the gear. I don't know the TCU's new "redline" but if it's similar to the Mopar LX performance TCU it's 6700 rpm. You still have the ECU redline which I believe is 6100 rpm. This TCU will not benefit your times at the drag strip unless your a shifting wizard and time the shifts perfectly. I was consistently slower. 2 reasons. Hitting the ECU 6100 rpm limiter or shifting too early. In "W" the torque limiters are reduced. Supposedly removed but I don't think so. The shifts are quicker and firmer but far from instant or neck snapping. Sporty is how I'd characterize them. You will feel a difference but it's far from a turbo 400 with a shift kit. You can shift on the fly between the "S" and "W". Switch on the fly and you find yourself in the same gear as when you made the mode change. Switch from W to S and immediately back to stock parameters and functioning. This is great for canyon carving or Dragon type drives.

Eurocharged to the rescue with a new tune with a raised ECU limiter. From my dyno pulls today it's at 6400. I couldn't remember if I requested 6400 or 6500 as I was back and forth on the decision. Now it may make a difference in the 1/4 mile. A little late on the upshift, no problem. More testing to come at the racetrack. The drag strip won't happen for a few months from now.

Les

Old 10-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TCU tune info

Forgive me for asking a perhaps dumb question, but I'm looking for gas saving upgrades that might also make the car a little more fun to drive when I'm feeling a little rebellious. Is this Evotech transmission something that would be worth doing? I'm in college and do probably 95% of my driving in town. The car refusing to shift before 2000 rpms while cruising at 40 mph, even after a transmission reset, drives me insane at times. I often find myself hitting the upshift on the autostick hoping that will do some good. Anyway, short of making the expensive switch to a manual, would this be a good way to get that improved control over the car? If it works as advertised, I'd be fine with spending the money, but will the automatic downshifting defeat the purpose of the gas saving aspect of the upgrade?

Old 10-30-2019, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by velociabstract
From Evotech Motorsports and still in testing. But I've some information to start with. "S" mode is bone stock. Shifts, redline and all other stock transmission programing remains stock. Works in drive or manual mode with no change what so ever.

"W" mode. You can upshift manually quite early and it will hold the gear. It WILL downshift when you reach 1000 rpm, more or less, from the gear you are in. For instance, poking along in 5th and slowing. Reach 1000 rpm and it downshifts to 4th, reach 1000 again and it downshifts to 3rd, etc. until you come to a stop in which case it returns to first. However it won't upshift. Having been in 5th and now in first, without touching anything, you stay in first. You have to tell it to upshift. Upshifts are "on demand only". Therefore it keeps a minimal downshift function so you don't stall. I tried to get my car to downshift from 3rd by flooring the gas pedal but from 2000 rpm and perhaps even lower, it won't. I hit the warp speed button and it held the gear. I don't know the TCU's new "redline" but if it's similar to the Mopar LX performance TCU it's 6700 rpm. You still have the ECU redline which I believe is 6100 rpm. This TCU will not benefit your times at the drag strip unless your a shifting wizard and time the shifts perfectly. I was consistently slower. 2 reasons. Hitting the ECU 6100 rpm limiter or shifting too early. In "W" the torque limiters are reduced. Supposedly removed but I don't think so. The shifts are quicker and firmer but far from instant or neck snapping. Sporty is how I'd characterize them. You will feel a difference but it's far from a turbo 400 with a shift kit. You can shift on the fly between the "S" and "W". Switch on the fly and you find yourself in the same gear as when you made the mode change. Switch from W to S and immediately back to stock parameters and functioning. This is great for canyon carving or Dragon type drives.

Eurocharged to the rescue with a new tune with a raised ECU limiter. From my dyno pulls today it's at 6400. I couldn't remember if I requested 6400 or 6500 as I was back and forth on the decision. Now it may make a difference in the 1/4 mile. A little late on the upshift, no problem. More testing to come at the racetrack. The drag strip won't happen for a few months from now.

Les
Hello,
I know it has been awhile but how did the testing go? Any results you could share.

Thank you for the information.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:25 PM

I went back to a stock TCU. Even with the ECU redline at 6400 rpm I kept hitting the rev limiter. The Evotech TCU shifted extremely slow. I hated it after a while. Now I have a TCU for the 3:27 ring and pinion I installed. I've heard of successes with TCU tunes but my experiences have been frustrating to say the least. A valve body may be a better option.

Les

Old 10-30-2019, 11:42 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

I am working on a tcu tune,, one that works great with the v8 made by you know who one that i have had with my 307,, my 327 and my 346 with out any problems,, the thing is it may cost around 500. i think that is higher than others but do you want the best or not!?

Old 10-31-2019, 07:52 AM

My current TCU is from "you know who". I had to purchase a new TCU because my old tuned one was epoxied together. It works fine but I don't notice a difference in shift performance.

Les

Old 10-31-2019, 10:41 AM

hope by the first of the year we will have a few tunes , maybe just not sure yet,,,
1 extreme performance,,,2 high performance,,, 3 with 1 or 2 + gear change and 4 almost stock with just gear change

Old 10-31-2019, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I went back to a stock TCU. Even with the ECU redline at 6400 rpm I kept hitting the rev limiter. The Evotech TCU shifted extremely slow. I hated it after a while. Now I have a TCU for the 3:27 ring and pinion I installed. I've heard of successes with TCU tunes but my experiences have been frustrating to say the least. A valve body may be a better option.

Les
Ya I just unistslled my 3.27 and going back to stock tune myself. Rhnx for reply

Old 10-31-2019, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
I am working on a tcu tune,, one that works great with the v8 made by you know who one that i have had with my 307,, my 327 and my 346 with out any problems,, the thing is it may cost around 500. i think that is higher than others but do you want the best or not!?
I do want the best

Old 11-01-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by srt6Master
Ya I just unistslled my 3.27 and going back to stock tune myself. Rhnx for reply
I wasn't clear. I still have the 3:27 installed. I returned to stock limiters in the ECU as well as TCU. When and if I go down the 1/4 mile again I'll post my times and let you know if the car's faster with the 3:27 or 3:07.

Les

Old 11-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Working with Needswings ,,we have the TCU almost ready . we will have 3 set ups .
1 Will be a TCU tune for either the srt and the limited (the srt does good )(the limited does not do much)
2 The TCU tune works with the blue tops ,( does great)
3 The TCU tune works with the blue tops and the valve body (does fantastic)
will keep you updated.