Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Transmission slipping/problems

Old 04-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission slipping/problems

I finally get my XFire back and for the past two weeks i have been using the manual mode in my 2005 limited coupe, 39260 miles bought used about 2 and a half months ago. Keeping it in auto was okay but i want to experience the drive with "me" in control. So i have come across a few things that have caused some concern with me. First i have never driven a vehicle where the driver has to do any shifting. So this slapstick shifting is all new to me but is fun and very simple to learn. I will start out with what happened today. On my way home i was in 1st gear at about 20-21mph and around 3000rpm didn't want to shift into 2nd because i was coming to a stop sign very soon. I stop (still in 1st gear) as i accelerate past the stop sign I shift into 2nd at around 3000rpm, it did shift into 2nd but then i felt a complete loss of power it seemed, i looked at the tachometer and it was in 4th gear. all i did was shift from 1st to 2nd and somehow it managed to jump from 2nd, skip 3rd and decide to land into 4th. I then realized why i felt that loss of power and acceleration it was in high gear (4th) at 25mph. This isn't the first time this has happened to me, about three other times this happened. this has never happened at high demands meaning under heavy acceleration this does not happen only when I'm driving around 20-25mph and shift from 1st gear does it somehow decide to land into 4th. What will happen at high accelerations: when i am on the highway I come to a complete stop at this stop sign and wait to merge on, note i am in 1st gear, because nobody will switch lanes i am forced to make a heavy acceleration to merge into traffic. so i tend to nearly floor it from 1st gear, when i see it hit around 5000rpm is when i shift into 2nd only sometimes it never shifts and continues to increase RPM, only when it hits 6000RPM is when it shifts into 'D' (drive). So i have to downshift from drive and i look and it downshifts from 'D' to 3rd. apparently under this heavy acceleration the xfire decided to not shift from 1st to 2nd and because of the overdrive it automatically shifts. I was able to get this to work once, when i floored it from the same stop sign i hit around 5000rpm again only this time i let off the gas then shifted into 2nd accelerate until it was time to shift to 3rd everything worked fine that time. I don't think i should have to let off the gas just to shift because any other time i shift i do not lift off the gas. Also i have to mention there was one time where i couldn't downshift from 3rd to 2nd when i was slowing down and coming to a red light. or should i have just waited until i stopped then downshift to 1st. I also have to mention why does the xfire shift from 4th to 'D'. when i am really cruising around 95mph and shift from 4th gear it goes directly into 'D' (drive) is there really a 5th gear or is the 5th gear represented as 'D'. I have also found that sometimes shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd isn't always the quickest shift sometimes it shifts i can hear it shift because of the exhaust noise and then about a half second later i feel the shift. should it take this long? what are the shift times for a car like this? I don't want to have to replace the transmission even though it should be covered under warranty i have finally gotten my car back after 2 months of hell with an alarm problem. don't want to be without the car again because summer weather is here. also could there be a possibility that the tranny fluid needs changed?? thanks in advanced

Last edited by bby412; 04-26-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: forgot to add some things
Old 04-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Transmission slipping/problems

Originally Posted by bby412
I finally get my XFire back and for the past two weeks i have been using the manual mode in my 2005 limited coupe, 39260 miles bought used about 2 and a half months ago. Keeping it in auto was okay but i want to experience the drive with "me" in control. So i have come across a few things that have caused some concern with me. First i have never driven a vehicle where the driver has to do any shifting. So this slapstick shifting is all new to me but is fun and very simple to learn. I will start out with what happened today. On my way home i was in 1st gear at about 20-21mph and around 3000rpm didn't want to shift into 2nd because i was coming to a stop sign very soon. I stop (still in 1st gear) as i accelerate past the stop sign I shift into 2nd at around 3000rpm, it did shift into 2nd but then i felt a complete loss of power it seemed, i looked at the tachometer and it was in 4th gear. all i did was shift from 1st to 2nd and somehow it managed to jump from 2nd, skip 3rd and decide to land into 4th. I then realized why i felt that loss of power and acceleration it was in high gear (4th) at 25mph. This isn't the first time this has happened to me, about three other times this happened. this has never happened at high demands meaning under heavy acceleration this does not happen only when I'm driving around 20-25mph and shift from 1st gear does it somehow decide to land into 4th. What will happen at high accelerations: when i am on the highway I come to a complete stop at this stop sign and wait to merge on, note i am in 1st gear, because nobody will switch lanes i am forced to make a heavy acceleration to merge into traffic. so i tend to nearly floor it from 1st gear, when i see it hit around 5000rpm is when i shift into 2nd only sometimes it never shifts and continues to increase RPM, only when it hits 6000RPM is when it shifts into 'D' (drive). So i have to downshift from drive and i look and it downshifts from 'D' to 3rd. apparently under this heavy acceleration the xfire decided to not shift from 1st to 2nd and because of the overdrive it automatically shifts. I was able to get this to work once, when i floored it from the same stop sign i hit around 5000rpm again only this time i let off the gas then shifted into 2nd accelerate until it was time to shift to 3rd everything worked fine that time. I don't think i should have to let off the gas just to shift because any other time i shift i do not lift off the gas. Also i have to mention there was one time where i couldn't downshift from 3rd to 2nd when i was slowing down and coming to a red light. or should i have just waited until i stopped then downshift to 1st. I also have to mention why does the xfire shift from 4th to 'D'. when i am really cruising around 95mph and shift from 4th gear it goes directly into 'D' (drive) is there really a 5th gear or is the 5th gear represented as 'D'. I have also found that sometimes shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd isn't always the quickest shift sometimes it shifts i can hear it shift because of the exhaust noise and then about a half second later i feel the shift. should it take this long? what are the shift times for a car like this? I don't want to have to replace the transmission even though it should be covered under warranty i have finally gotten my car back after 2 months of hell with an alarm problem. don't want to be without the car again because summer weather is here. also could there be a possibility that the tranny fluid needs changed?? thanks in advanced
It does seem erratic but I am no expert on this. I do know that if it is working properly it will not let you do something to harm the transmission. It will force a change in that situation, either go up or down a gear.