Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

O2 Sensors

Old 07-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensors

I have a 2006 roadster. Engine light came on and I had the dealer diagnose the problem. Codes read bank 2 sensor 1 slow to read and bank 1 sensor two slow to read. For what they wanted to replace I left and ordered all four new Bosch sensors and replaced them. I hadn't driven 30 miles and the check engine light came back on. Sure enough, the same messages came up when I had someone else hook up their ODBC. I'm at a loss as I can't believe all the new sensors were bad. Has anyone had this happen or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: O2 Sensors

Check your connectors

Old 07-16-2015, 09:25 PM

[QUOTE=blackpepper;842356]Check your connectors[/QUOTE Thanks will do that.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use of silicon sealant on the engine that is not "safe for oxygen sensors" will cause sensor failure shortly after it's applied.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark McKay
I have a 2006 roadster. Engine light came on and I had the dealer diagnose the problem. Codes read bank 2 sensor 1 slow to read and bank 1 sensor two slow to read. For what they wanted to replace I left and ordered all four new Bosch sensors and replaced them. I hadn't driven 30 miles and the check engine light came back on. Sure enough, the same messages came up when I had someone else hook up their ODBC. I'm at a loss as I can't believe all the new sensors were bad. Has anyone had this happen or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

Get your own OBDII reader. then reset the codes, you may need to do this two or more times until the computer learns that they have been changed and makes adjustments. Checking connections won't hurt either. Did you do anywork on or around the exhaust, bits of carbon etc. can be knocked loose and clog the sensors, a little cleaning may renew their efficiency.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Get your own OBDII reader. then reset the codes, you may need to do this two or more times until the computer learns that they have been changed and makes adjustments. Checking connections won't hurt either. Did you do anywork on or around the exhaust, bits of carbon etc. can be knocked loose and clog the sensors, a little cleaning may renew their efficiency.

Thanks Jim. I didn't do anything but change sensors. Guess I'm going to have to buy my own reader.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Classic example of the limitations of OBDII code readers. They tell you what code it is but they cannot tell you what parts need to be replaced, only suggestions. There are too many variables (ie loose ground, loose wires, intermittent, bad gas, bad sensor). Valuable tools needed are a good VOM, a quality multimode OBDII reader, and the service manual (for circuit testing), or just throw parts at it until its fixed.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:18 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

I was getting O2 codes, can't remember just what they were - changed all plugs and plug wires and the problem went away. (I knew the plugs and wires were bad, the car had 101,000 on it.)

SOMETIMES the code does not mean a bad sensor but that the sensor's data is out of bounds. Question is, is it out of bounds due to a bad sensor, or is the sensor telling the truth and something ELSE is causing the out of bound condition? In my case, the O2 level was showing too high because it WAS too high, the engine was missing and therefore passing unburnt O2 thru.....