Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Fan control module/ ABS ESP issue

Old 08-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan control module/ ABS ESP issue

My car overheated and blew a hole in the coolant overflow tank, i've fixed that issue now I have a issue with the root cause of that. My fan does not come on and I have a low coolant light on, also my brake lights won't turn on and my ABS/ESP light is on. I have looked at the forums (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...nt-go-off.html ) which tel me it's probably either the fan control module or the fan. Does the fan control module also have any ties to ABS/ESP? I think a part failed that controls both of these functions, but the manual doesn't give me any info. Thanks for any info!

Old 08-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Fan control module/ ABS ESP issue

Keep in mind that the low coolant light is not a low coolant light - what it is meant to tell you, is very little.

Several things can light that light:
  • Coolant level too low
  • Temperature of coolant too high
  • Failure with the engine cooling fan (in this case, it means that the PTCM either cant' communicate with the Fan Control Module - or it can, but the FCM is indicating it has a problem)
  • Perhaps other stuff I don't know about
It is NOT a "Low Coolant" light, it is a "Hey, something is wrong with the cooling system, take this car to a dealer right away and pay them anything they charge you" light. If they wanted you to know anything more, the PTCM would display it in the odometer display.

I THINK that I read here somewhere that if the system sees the brakes being applied and the brake light not coming on, (meaning the brake light switch is bad or Fuse 2 in the ICM is blown) that alarm light will come on. Again, I THINK I read that here - but other than that, I got nothin....

Old 08-05-2016, 08:43 PM

I pulled my fan off and hooked it to my battery and it wouldnt turn on so I bought a new one and it works like a charm now and that has fixed my low coolant light, but now I get a loud clicking on a pair of solenoids?? that wasn't there before anyone know what the heck these are for? (Right next to the battery) Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 08-05-2016, 10:01 PM

Coolant circulation valve found it.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:33 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

See? The FCM saw that the fan motor was not responding and sent the indication to the PTCM that there was a problem - and the PTCM lit the light!

AS to the valves, I can't say I've ever heard them but I DO know they do pulse on and off in response to your temperature wheel settings.