Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

hot restart problem

Old 07-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot restart problem

Greetings Crossfire Forum Members!
I have been absent for some time, but that's a good thing
my wife is still loving her 05 coupe without any big problems
but lately there has been an intermittent starting problem when warm
(cold start no problem)
it will crank but not fire
my first thought was something like a fuel pressure sensor relay
after a try or two it will start
any thoughts??

TIA for your help
Cheers
Dennis B

Old 07-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: hot restart problem

#1 the Crankshaft Position Sensor ( CPS ) sensor
#2 the Relay Control Module ( RCM )

Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 PM

i have the same issue, plugged in my fault code reader, tells me p0335 crank position sensor, i am going to fit a new one, hopefully that will sort it

Old 07-17-2017, 09:59 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Buy and use a Bocsh part ONLY!
If you buy any other you'll be sorry!
Someone had to tell you!

Old 07-17-2017, 01:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is anyone ever going to try cleaning the CPS? there are NO moving parts, so try removing, using electric contact cleaner on both the business end and the plug end(both sides) and reinstalling. I plan to do that, if and when it fails.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I did, but it was only precautionary. I was having no issues at the time, and haven't since.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:49 AM

I'd like to try cleaning the CPS. Tell me more please!

I bought a 2004 coupe in 2013 with only 70K miles. I've had--am having--the same problem. Car would crank but would not turn over. Able to start after car cooled down.

First indication I had of an impending problem was the car started to (but did not) stall on a few occasions--mainly after getting off expressway. I thought it was just 'bad gas'.

I had the problem with the car turning over within one week. It stalled on me at the bank drive-through. It would not restart and I had it towed to Pep Boys. Within a day they installed a crankshaft sensor (noticed the engine check lamp when I drove it off). Within a day the same problem recurred (able to start though). I had it towed back to Pep Boys. Before getting it off the tow truck it would not start (cranking but no turn-over) so problem was back to what I originally took it there for.
They did a diagnostic, came up with same solution and replaced crankshaft sensor with a 'higher quality' sensor. Told me I would need to take it to Chrysler if same problem.

Well,...the problem persist.

I was compelled to reply before reading all the post in this thread. I'll continue reading to see if I find an idea to share with Chrysler service team.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just get a Bosch CPS, install it and your troubles will go away. Aftermarket CPS's don't function well on the Crossfire. (Speaking from experience)

Old 07-25-2017, 02:15 PM

Thanks Shamrock. I found the part for $34.50 at Autohauz AZ (list $159).

I'm going back to Pep Boys and let them know the only CPS that'll work in Crossfire is Bosch. I have the part number as 0031532728 (updated is 0031532828) and will get them to order and install under existing warranty.

I'll feedback the results when this repair issue is closed.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PowersTreat
I'd like to try cleaning the CPS. Tell me more please!

I bought a 2004 coupe in 2013 with only 70K miles. I've had--am having--the same problem. Car would crank but would not turn over. Able to start after car cooled down.

First indication I had of an impending problem was the car started to (but did not) stall on a few occasions--mainly after getting off expressway. I thought it was just 'bad gas'.

I had the problem with the car turning over within one week. It stalled on me at the bank drive-through. It would not restart and I had it towed to Pep Boys. Within a day they installed a crankshaft sensor (noticed the engine check lamp when I drove it off). Within a day the same problem recurred (able to start though). I had it towed back to Pep Boys. Before getting it off the tow truck it would not start (cranking but no turn-over) so problem was back to what I originally took it there for.
They did a diagnostic, came up with same solution and replaced crankshaft sensor with a 'higher quality' sensor. Told me I would need to take it to Chrysler if same problem.

Well,...the problem persist.

I was compelled to reply before reading all the post in this thread. I'll continue reading to see if I find an idea to share with Chrysler service team.
My 2005 Roadster did the same thing and I did the same thing you did, but I changed the crank position sensor myself but the problem continue so I finally bought a new relay control module changed it and fix the problem, has been running perfect sense. My advice to you save your time and money replace your relay control module and be done with it.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingdav1954
...My advice to you save your time and money replace your relay control module and be done with it.

You didn't mention if you had fault codes or not. The CPS will throw the P0355 code.
It is possible (if no code) that the fuel relay in the RCM is going bad. If you decide to go this route, repair, don't replace the RCM. I can check and replace the relay and do other repairs to your RCM for just $30.
Cheapest RCM's go for around $140-ish.
LMK

Old 07-25-2017, 07:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1

You didn't mention if you had fault codes or not. The CPS will throw the P0355 code.
It is possible (if no code) that the fuel relay in the RCM is going bad. If you decide to go this route, repair, don't replace the RCM. I can check and replace the relay and do other repairs to your RCM for just $30.
Cheapest RCM's go for around $140-ish.
LMK
To the best of my memory the only codes that my Roadster has thrown was for the secondary air injection pump, I would get the no start when hot so I replaced the crank position sensor, I thought that took care of it but then it started stalling 😬 since my Roadster is my daily driver to and from work I did not have the luxury of time, so I had to Source one right away, the only place that had one Within a reasonable driving distance was our local Mercedes Benz dealer 😭 so I bit the bullet and bought one. it was the only one they had in stock, no one else within driving distance had one, $225 for the RCM and 5 minutes of my time to put it in and she's been running right as rain since. I still have the old RCM and I've been meaning to send it to you to be repaired but you know how that goes been very busy working and always seem to forget about it. Eventually I'll get around to it.