Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Radiator fan not coming on?

Old 08-18-2018, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan not coming on?

I have managed to get through all of the XF fixes posted by the members here for the 8 years I have owned my car. I am not able to work on my car myself any more. I have to rely on mechanic for repairs. Early this week I heard a strange noise under the hood as I was approaching a stop sign(like something let go). Couldn't find anything under hood. Now I noticed that the radiator fan doesn't seem to come on any more. The car heats up and the coolant light comes on. The ac fan still works (all speeds). I tapped on the radiator fan once and it spun for a few seconds and stopped. Hasn't come on since. Going to have to take it to an ac shop that comes highly recommend here in San Diego. Any ideas what might have to be replaced and how many hundreds it might cost My car is a daily driver that has been good to me. I'm 75yrs old and don't want another car. Everyone tells me my XF is the nicest they have ever seen. Get lots of attention when I go to local Cars and Coffee. I enjoy taking care of her. I realize I'm going to have to pay for the work. Just don't want to get taken.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Radiator fan not coming on?

It's the radiator fan motor, I'm sure.

But we can still play "20 questions" just to be sure.

Does the coolant light come on as soon as you start the car?
Or only after it has run and the temp needle is near 1/2 way up?
Oor only when you turn the A/C on?
The answer will tell us if:

1) The fan motor is bad (buy the whole assembly, around $200), it is replaceable without tools!
2) The Fan Control Module is bad (also runs $200 to $300), it plugs in but you will need a nutdriver to take the mounting nut off.

I REALLY think it's the fan motor itself. No need to look for an A/C shop.

Should be that easy.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-18-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response pizzaguy. The eight years I have had the car the temp gage has always been half to just below half no matter how long the motor has been running. It comes up slow then drops to just below half. It comes up slow now but at the half point the light comes on and then it starts creeping up the longer it runs. For a few days last week, when I started the car the fan would come on full blast like my neighbors E500 Merc. Then it would go back to normal. It has never changed speeds like that before (that I could hear). I start loosing fluid from the resivour when I shut the motor off.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:32 PM

pizzaguy, I found a new shroud, motor and blade fully assembled RB-620-040 for crossfire 2004 at autohausaz. for $211.20 includes shipping. If you think this is what the problem is I'll go ahead and order it. I've purchased lots of things from them.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:37 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

I think it is. From what you describe, the light is coming on just when the fan is being told to run - this indicates that the fan module is telling the ECM that the fan motor is not responding correctly, for that reason, it lights the light.

If the Fan module was just plaiin defective, the light woulid always be on.

The fact that you said there was an odd noise when this first started also may have been the motor coming apart internally.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:21 PM

I went ahead and ordered it. Can't believe the mopar version is over $700. If it turns out I need an FCM I found them available from Rockauto.
Thanks again for the help. You guys got me through the RCM problem, the sticky key problem and several other things.
I was looking at SRT6's a few months ago. It was really great to go FAST!!!, but I miss going through the gears. I have more fun in the hills and mountains with my 6 speed.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:00 AM

pizzaguy. The fan assembly showed up today. Was quick and easy install. It all runs quieter, smoother and better than ever. Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:58 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by geogramps
pizzaguy. The fan assembly showed up today. Was quick and easy install. It all runs quieter, smoother and better than ever. Thanks for all the help.
Mark (pizzaguy) is not all just good looks, he knows a thing or two also (like Farmer's Insurance).