Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Another 3.7 swap

Old 04-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 3.7 swap

I posted on the end of another thread hoping to get some feedback as I'm looking to start this project within the week. But I think it makes sense to start a new thread as this is a project of it's own others may have interest in. I was surprised to not see that more people have done this since it seems like it's not too big of a job.

I recently bought a XF off of a past member. Car has 160k miles on it, the clutch is going and there is a slight knock at idle. I've already dropped the car at the mechanic to do a 3.7 swap. I have a new LUK clutch and I'm shopping for a motor to buy within the next week or so.

Any advice on buying the used motor? I'm looking for a motor with 100 miles or less, an 03-05 ML350 or 06 S350 engine. Preference over the two? It looks like the S350 is rated 241/258 HP/TQ compared to the ML at 232/254. I think as long as I get a used one with warranty that has been tested running and for compression I should be ok. I'm planning on changing all fluids, several seals,etc.

I told the guy who's doing the swap that it's pretty straightforward except for the mechanical fan. Is that correct? Anything else I should tell him?

Happy to answer any questions I learn as I go through the process.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:18 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Another 3.7 swap

I believe the reason if the hp / tq differences is with or without mechanical fan, and switched out should be the same numbers.

They are both the same m112 engines, should be nice and easy.
I have been looking on craigslist and fb marketplace for ppl parting out to find a descent engine, the scrap yards with mb want 2k - 5k for the engine alone.

If cams where a descent price then would help alot.
3.7, cams, tune, intake, some head work, would be over 300

Many 500's out there, but if there was a guide or list on things that need done for the swap to greatly decrease the down time, I would already have a 500 in it.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
I believe the reason if the hp / tq differences is with or without mechanical fan, and switched out should be the same numbers.

I have been looking on craigslist and fb marketplace for ppl parting out to find a descent engine, the scrap yards with mb want 2k - 5k for the engine alone.

Many 500's out there, but if there was a guide or list on things that need done for the swap to greatly decrease the down time, I would already have a 500 in it.
That would make some sense if the S350 also uses an electric fan like ours. I should have an engine bought today or tomorrow. The guy doing the work and I have narrowed it to a handful of engines. We found a handful in the 50K-100K mile range with warranties that ranged in price from about $800-$1100.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4

What?? These engines at the scrap yards are incredibly cheap. From 400 to 700 CAD in my area. I want to do this swap at one point so please keep us updated!

Old 04-15-2019, 08:54 PM

Engine bought from a 2006 S350.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Grats on your purchase, anything else you going to do to it while it is out ?

All the yards I have looked at have high mileage or have to go to a import yard and prices are alot more.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:12 AM

Update:

Finally have my used motor, a 3.7 from a 2005 ML.

My Lincoln MKT is loaded with parts I will be dropping off tomorrow morning. As long as a new engine is being installed, I wanted to take care of the following.

-Upper(Mopar) and lower(Gates) radiator hoses and new antifreeze
-Luk Power Steering pump with every line(high pressure, return, cooling) from Gates(was noisy) with fluid
-idler pulley
-Gates belt
-Beck Arnley water pump
-Luk Clutch Kit
-Centric master cylinder with blue brake fluid
-Felpro gasket kit
-NGK wires and Autolite iridium spark plugs
-mobile 1 oil and filter
-mobile 1 oil for trans and gear fluid for diff
-K&N air filters
-exhaust manifold gaskets

I am also having new rotors and pads installed and was considering having SS lines done at the same time.

AND I also have spring and shocks ready to go in. I might do this separate because I want to make sure I have the correct camber parts that I haven't researched or ordered yet.

Anyway the car is getting some serious love here.

I'll be updating again soon!

Old 05-16-2019, 01:14 AM

I forgot Beck Arnley thermostat