Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

My N/A 5.5 AMG Swap Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default My N/A 5.5 AMG Swap Thread

I figured I would go ahead and start a new thread for my 55 swap project. The previous thread can be found here..... https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post934400

For those new to the thread, this engine was pulled from a 2000 ML55 AMG. X-Mas special at the wrecking yard netted me this complete engine and ECU for $316 out the door with no core charge.

Went ahead and got the compression test done over the weekend. Pretty great numbers for an engine with questionable mileage and has been sitting for who knows how long. 7 cylinders were above 190, with the highest being 196, and 1 cylinder at 187.

Santa will be dropping off a package today dressed as the UPS man.... so will have to update the thread later with what that might be....

Jared

Old 12-25-2019, 02:05 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: My N/A 5.5 AMG Swap Thread

Well I was going to show pictures of a nice AMG engine cover from a SLK55..... but it certainly didn't match the description.

I hate sellers that take the photos in such a way as to hide flaws. I'm okay with normal wear and tear.... but broken mounting tabs and a missing emblem is just ridiculous.

Started the return process..... it's going back and I will not be shopping in his store anymore.

Jared

This was the listing photo!!

Old 12-26-2019, 09:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ya, I hate it when they use stock photos and to lazy to take a pic of the item.

Old 12-26-2019, 04:13 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Ya, I hate it when they use stock photos and to lazy to take a pic of the item.
I sent it back this morning. Seller contacted me about the feedback that I left..... they were surprised that I left negative feedback. I guess they assumed I would be happy about wasting my time and packing materials and gas to ship it back to them. Funny right?

Anyways, I went ahead and ordered a standard black cover from a 2004 SL500. I have to have something right? I'll hopefully find a nice AMG cover one day.

My replacement engine harness is supposed to be here today too.

Jared

Old 12-26-2019, 05:10 PM
Received 391 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
I sent it back this morning. Seller contacted me about the feedback that I left..... they were surprised that I left negative feedback. I guess they assumed I would be happy about wasting my time and packing materials and gas to ship it back to them. Funny right?

Anyways, I went ahead and ordered a standard black cover from a 2004 SL500. I have to have something right? I'll hopefully find a nice AMG cover one day.

My replacement engine harness is supposed to be here today too.

Jared

Just wait, they'll next ask you to remove the feedback OR ask you to 'cancel' the auction. When either happens they will have no neutral or negative feedback on this auction (cancel an auction, ebay removes any feedback since it didn't happen AND/OR they ask you to 'revise' the feedback and either may happen with a 'threat' of not processing a refund OR charging you a 'restocking' fee). When the crapola hits the fan with one of my purchases, I make sure the terms dictate a complete refund and they pay for return shipping. Also, no cancelling of any auction because then no one else knows how they actually are.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:29 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Just wait, they'll next ask you to remove the feedback OR ask you to 'cancel' the auction. When either happens they will have no neutral or negative feedback on this auction (cancel an auction, ebay removes any feedback since it didn't happen AND/OR they ask you to 'revise' the feedback and either may happen with a 'threat' of not processing a refund OR charging you a 'restocking' fee). When the crapola hits the fan with one of my purchases, I make sure the terms dictate a complete refund and they pay for return shipping. Also, no cancelling of any auction because then no one else knows how they actually are.

They already did ask me to revise my feedback. They offered me $40 added to my refund to revise the feedback.

I don't work that way though. I told them if they wanted me to revise my feedback, send me another cover just like the one I ordered in the condition that was described in the listing.

I declined the payment to revise my feedback. I think morally, it is wrong to offer someone money for positive feedback. I told them it should be used as a learning experience..... if the item you are packaging for shipping does not match the description..... don't ship it.

I think they were rolling the dice that I would just want to keep it. Which honestly has happened in the past. I've ordered things before that didn't work or were broken, I will start the return process with good pictures and a thorough description as to what the issue is..... and 9 times out of 10 they just refund your money because what seller would want to pay return shipping for something that is broken and they won't be able to resell. On the flip side of that, the buyer is left with a refund and something they can't use, or can't use without investing more money for repair..... so it goes in the garbage, or goes on a shelf in the garage. Unfortunately for them..... I didn't want to keep it. I want my money back so I can apply that balance to another cover in better condition (whenever I find one). Had they refunded my money, I would have applied it to trying to find a front cover that was in good shape and not broken, and would have tried to restore the rear portion of the cover. Functionally speaking the rear cover was fine.

The search continues.....

Jared

Old 12-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Forum Regular

Another piece of the puzzle has arrived.

Under recommendation from another member, I purchased the engine harness from an CL500. It plugs directly into the spare XF ECU I bought.

Well worth it for the time that will be saved not having to re-pin and solder/splice wires.

I have an intake elbow coming, and have found the C43 AMG exhaust manifolds I need, but haven't bought them yet.

I still need to pick up a new set of flywheel bolts, and a clutch alignment tool as well.

Jared

Last edited by lotsofspareparts; 12-27-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:32 PM
Forum Regular

And yet another piece....

I checked online for Mercedes at my local Pick-N-Pull, and there was a 2000 S430 that went on the lot.

Got lucky and got the engine cover/airbox assembly complete and undamaged for $26.16

Also grabbed the hood shock from the 04 XF that I already robbed a bunch of parts off of. The shocks are damned expensive from the dealer..... hundreds of dollars. $9.49 @ Pick-N-Pull.

Jared

Old 12-28-2019, 04:40 PM
Forum Regular

Did a search of all the Pick-N-Pull wrecking yards within 100 miles of me and found a 2001 CLK430 at the yard down in Lynwood.. about 45 minutes away.

Got both of my exhaust manifolds for $95...… which is nice because LKQ wanted $95 each and then there would have been shipping on top of that.

Snagged a set of wiper nut covers from an MKIV Jetta for nothing. I'm not spending $15 for a pair of little plastic caps online. Even RockAuto wanted $13 apiece for them.

Also learned (after getting home) that I need the upper and lower radiator hoses, fan with clutch, and fan shroud from this CLK430..... they share the same radiator as our XF's. I'm going back down there tomorrow to snag that stuff.

The wrecking yard I got the 55 AMG engine from finally posted the VIN online. This 2000 ML55 AMG only had 102,110 miles on it..... and I got the engine!! Judging by the condition under the valve covers, I would say it was well maintained. It's also probably the reason why the spark plugs had the MB star on them and were difficult to remove...… they were original.

Anyways..... hope everyone had a good X-Mas, and has a good New Year!!

Jared

Last edited by lotsofspareparts; 12-28-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:44 PM

Using a mechanical fan instead of electric fans ?

Old 12-28-2019, 05:52 PM
Forum Regular

Using a mechanical fan instead of electric fans ?
I'm going to use both.

The mechanical fan and a pair of Proform 67010 fans in front of the condenser. I do plan on measuring the pair of electric fans that are in front of the condenser currently on the CLK430..... they may work for me.

It's a "better safe than sorry" kind of deal. I could probably get away with the electric fans...… but there is obviously a reason why MB decided to use a mechanical fan for the V8's. Technically, they only rob HP when the engine is hot enough for the clutch to engage..... otherwise they just kind of pinwheel.

Jared

Old 12-28-2019, 08:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lift supports depot. I've used them for years. Best prices I can find.

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/ye...odel=CROSSFIRE

Old 12-28-2019, 08:54 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cowancom3
Lift supports depot. I've used them for years. Best prices I can find.

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/ye...odel=CROSSFIRE
I'm saving that link for sure. My hatch struts still work.... but I can feel they will need to be replaced soon.

Thanks

Jared

Old 12-29-2019, 06:09 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

your project is very interesting , brings back memories of my s500 conversion.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:44 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ardenian
your project is very interesting , brings back memories of my s500 conversion.
That's cool. Do you still have the car?

I'm trying to show that this swap can be done on a budget and how many thousands of dollars can be saved by doing the work yourself...… lot's of time has been spent going through others threads to determine exactly what I need.

I'm thinking somewhere around the middle of April I should have the swap completed. I haven't started yet. My plan is to drive the car up until the day before the swap, and have it knocked out in a few days. I could certainly pull it off sooner but I need to kick my Vette out of the shop..... and I'm not going to let it sit outside in the rain.

I've decided rather than having O2 sensor bungs added to the manifolds, I am going to have bungs installed in the down pipes before the cats...… just like the CLK I pulled the manifolds from.

I was able to pull the fan and upper radiator hose/s, but the shroud was broken and they cut the lower hose to drain the coolant. As a bonus, I grabbed the front and rear red bumper covers from a NA Miata. I have been looking for a set of red covers for over a year. Both are OEM parts too which is great!!

Good day at the wrecking yard!!

Jared

Old 01-03-2020, 07:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Jared, yes I still have the car, not driven it since the conversion because of various reasons, basically a lot more mods to the car not just the engine. The hardest part was the wiring and the ecu, I did all the other work myself.
trying to sort out the fans was a problem for me and I opted for 1, 12" electric fan on the engine side pulling air and 2 9" electric fans on the bumper side pushing air. I was told to use a mechanical 430 fan but could not find any CLK430's here in the UK.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:26 PM

Do you have your wiring harness figured out ?
on which wires you need to splice ?

Old 01-06-2020, 02:46 PM
Forum Regular

Do you have your wiring harness figured out ?
on which wires you need to splice ?
Not yet. I'm not real sure what I will have to splice since the engine harness that I bought plugs directly into the XF ECU..... There are a few leftover plugs that I will have to sort out. Josh offered to help me, and he has been a fantastic resource as far as the parts required. I'll be sending him my ECU's in about 2 weeks for rebuild.

I had heard mentioned in another thread that one of the plugs for the V8 harness was too big, and would have to be re-pinned with the V6 harnesses plugs.... I guess it depends on which V8 harness you use. The harness I bought was from a 2003 CL500.

Jared

Old 01-08-2020, 11:29 AM
Forum Regular

Got a pretty good update as my plans have changed.

Rather than chopping up my 62k mile XF, I have secured another XF that I will be swapping the AMG engine into.

I plan on starting a new thread titled "The Worlds Cheapest AMG V8 Crossfire". I'm calling it that because this is going to be a budget build, and will hopefully provide inspiration for guys that are on the fence about performing the swap.

This will not be a "hack job". Everything that is done will be done with quality and longevity in mind. Anyone that has seen the Tuned Port Injected 350 in my 91 S-10 would swear it came from the factory that way.

No need to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a V8 swap. Everything needed is available for very reasonable prices on the used market.

The donor car for the swap is a 2004 Graphite Gray Automatic with 200k on the clock. I'm spending a whopping $800 for the car.

My wife is on board, she is excited it will be an automatic which means she will drive it too.

Stay tuned!!

Jared

Old 01-09-2020, 07:54 AM

Grats on purchase and especially getting your wife on board.
pm me your number and I can text the few wiring pics I got from a guy in uk tha did his conversion.

Quick Reply: My N/A 5.5 AMG Swap Thread