Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Frozen ignition switch, need to get out of Park

Old 01-03-2020, 10:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Frozen ignition switch, need to get out of Park

I'm going to be picking up another 04 XF. This one's an automatic. The ignition is stuck, what do I have to disassemble/manipulate so I can get the car in Neutral so I can get it on a trailer?

Thanks, Jared

Old 01-04-2020, 10:49 AM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Re: Frozen ignition switch, need to get out of Park

What do you mean, the ignition is stuck? If you can not move the shifter, the manual tells you how to but a screwdriver in and release it. If the steering lock is stuck, you must do the sticky inbition fix described on this site.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:54 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ZERACER
What do you mean, the ignition is stuck? If you can not move the shifter, the manual tells you how to but a screwdriver in and release it. If the steering lock is stuck, you must do the sticky inbition fix described on this site.
I get that the sticky ignition repair will need to be done..... already planned on it. I can't do any repairs on the vehicle in it's current location though.

I just have to get it out of park so that it can be winched onto a trailer, then I can work on it here at home.

If I am understanding you correctly, I can disable the shifter lock with the ignition in the off position? I will go through the manual and see what I find.

Thanks, Jared

Old 01-04-2020, 11:01 AM
Forum Regular

Great, just found it in the manual.

Hard to believe that it is as easy as poking a ball point pen into a hole...… almost too easy.

Jared

Old 01-04-2020, 11:02 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
Great, just found it in the manual.

Hard to believe that it is as easy as poking a ball point pen into a hole...… almost too easy.

Jared
I wonder why they call it the owners manual, maybe because it has a lot of tips in it.
'With a malfunction in the vehicle’s electrical system, the selector lever could remain locked in the PARK position. To unlock the selector lever manually, insert the end of the multipurpose tool from the glove box (or ball point pen) into the covered opening below the position “D” of the shift pattern. While pushing the tool down, move the selector lever out of the PARK position. After removal of the tool from the opening, the cover will not close fully. Only after moving the selector lever to the “D+” and “D-” positions does the cover return to its closed position."

Old 01-04-2020, 11:04 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I wonder why they call it the owners manual, maybe because it has a lot of tips in it.
I can live without the sarcasm..... thanks.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:06 AM

I can live without the sarcasm..... thanks.
You cannot live without the Owners Manual though.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:11 AM
Forum Regular

You cannot live without the Owners Manual though.
That makes no sense.....

I asked the question because I am a manual transmission driver. I have never needed to move a car equipped with an automatic transmission that wouldn't come out of park. I knew there was an ignition interlock..... I just wasn't aware that it would be so easy to defeat.

ZERACER mentioned checking the owners manual... which I did, and figured it out before you posted your sarcastic response. Further sarcasm is not required on your part.

Thanks, Jared

Old 01-04-2020, 12:39 PM

That makes no sense.....

I asked the question because I am a manual transmission driver. I have never needed to move a car equipped with an automatic transmission that wouldn't come out of park. I knew there was an ignition interlock..... I just wasn't aware that it would be so easy to defeat.

ZERACER mentioned checking the owners manual... which I did, and figured it out before you posted your sarcastic response. Further sarcasm is not required on your part.

Thanks, Jared
You have a negative attitude, what is sarcasm to you could be dry wit to another.
Do not worry I will not bother with you again.
I was typing my answer before any answer had been given
I thought about answering yesterday but figured someone else would. It is much easier to ask rather than look for the answer that has been given many times before.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-04-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:47 PM
Forum Regular

You have a negative attitude, what is sarcasm to you could be dry wit to another.
Do not worry I will not bother with you again.
I thought about answering yesterday but figured someone else would. It is much easier to ask rather than look for the answer that has been given many times before.
I do not have a negative attitude, and BTW, I see alot of your "dry wit" in a lot of posts.

What you don't seem to understand is that kind of attitude is unnecessary.

Is this not an online forum where you can ask questions from members with more experience with a specific model of vehicle? So I didn't want to wade through a bunch of threads while on my phone on break at work, I had a few minutes to ask the question.... so I asked.

I don't see the need to tease or poke fun at someone..... especially after their question had already been answered by another member. You want to treat someone like an idiot.... do it somewhere else because I certainly won't put up with it.

Jared

Old 01-04-2020, 01:04 PM

I do not have a negative attitude, and BTW, I see alot of your "dry wit" in a lot of posts.

What you don't seem to understand is that kind of attitude is unnecessary.

Is this not an online forum where you can ask questions from members with more experience with a specific model of vehicle? So I didn't want to wade through a bunch of threads while on my phone on break at work, I had a few minutes to ask the question.... so I asked.

I don't see the need to tease or poke fun at someone..... especially after their question had already been answered by another member. You want to treat someone like an idiot.... do it somewhere else because I certainly won't put up with it.

Jared
I guess that makes me regret giving you the info on the flywheel bearing and bolts the other day, no one else stepped up.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Per onehundred80's signature. I found an easy way to look up and fix issues with my Crossfire. Index of Crossfire problems, repairs and How To's

Last edited by Bill F; 01-04-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:34 PM
Forum Regular

I guess that makes me regret giving you the info on the flywheel bearing and bolts the other day, no one else stepped up.
Don't regret it, initially that was helpful information that was wanted. Now in all honesty I could have lived without the "remember these are Mercedes and Mopar never stocked parts for them" I knew that, and I expressed it. Again, the fastener and pilot bearing information was asked for and provided. Don't regret helping someone, the fact that you say you regret it annoys me.... that's a conversation I'm not going to go into. Let's just agree to disagree and move on. Now I understand your wit a little better, and now you understand I appreciate helpful information..... and maybe don't appreciate wit as much as I should.

Jared

Last edited by lotsofspareparts; 01-07-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another tip with the sticky key problem, you can usually get the key to work by turning the fob with a "finger snapping" motion.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:01 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Another tip with the sticky key problem, you can usually get the key to work by turning the fob with a "finger snapping" motion.
Good tip.

I won't be picking it up for another 2 weeks, I was going to fiddle the **** out of it when I got it home.

Jared