Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Air/Intake question...

Old 02-06-2022, 05:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Air/Intake question...

Simple question before I start taking things apart.
Let's say that you remove the intake piece next to the radiator support (with the oval hole, as shown below).

How much room does that open up that area for a larger intake tube? Is it large enough for a 3-inch diameter tube with a curve or a scooped inlet?
Thanks...

The following users liked this post:
JustSynthetic.com (02-11-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 08:23 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: Air/Intake question...

you must remove that to install a needswings intake but it is not round and not quite 3" but 3" hard hose yes,, if the hose /tube u put through there is too soft it will collapse, u have to use the hose Needswings supplys with his intake,It will not collapse.

Last edited by amx1397; 06-05-2022 at 10:40 PM.
Buck62 (02-08-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 08:48 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

You may go thru the opening with two hose options. It depends on what you are attaching to the hose and whether the attachment must be internal or external. Three inch silicone hose is soft and easy to work with. It also comes in straight sections or with 90 degree bends already made; it will fit externally on to 3 inch metal tubing. A hard hose like Gates 24040 VULCO 2 1/2" will go thru the hole and it would fit internal to a three inch fitting. The choice depends on what you are fitting on either side of the radiator support. Many have put the air filter in front of the radiator and some have opted to put the air filter behind the radiator. Depends on what you are doing.

Buck62 (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. The reason I'm asking is because I bought the larger Mercedes air box which has 3" intake tubes on each side. I have silicone adapters to adapt down to the original 2.75" curved intake tubes that run down to the radiator support. I'm just wondering if it's worth it make the whole thing 3 inches wide and put a scooped front end of 3 inch tubes just in front of the radiator support.
I realize the NeedsWings CAI is the ideal system. But I just can't see throwing out that much money at this point. I just bought my XF and this is still new to me.
But one thing's for sure... the Mercedes Air box is much more attractive than the original one.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:13 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck62
Thanks for the replies. The reason I'm asking is because I bought the larger Mercedes air box which has 3" intake tubes on each side. I have silicone adapters to adapt down to the original 2.75" curved intake tubes that run down to the radiator support. I'm just wondering if it's worth it make the whole thing 3 inches wide and put a scooped front end of 3 inch tubes just in front of the radiator support.
I realize the NeedsWings CAI is the ideal system. But I just can't see throwing out that much money at this point. I just bought my XF and this is still new to me.
But one thing's for sure... the Mercedes Air box is much more attractive than the original one.
To my knowledge there are three Mercedes covers that fit on the Crossfire, trouble is two of them are too thick and rub against the hood liner.
The thickest one needs the hood to be forced down a little, the liner rubs against the cover and marks it.
Itook two covers to our local dump after I found the one that fits.
The original Crossfire intake tubes fit nicely inside the Mercedes cover.
I will add the Mercedes cover part numbers I used and the set up I ended up with. (CLICK)

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-09-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Buck62 (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
To my knowledge there are three Mercedes covers that fit on the Crossfire, trouble is two of them are too thick and rub against the hood liner.
The thickest one needs the hood to be forced down a little, the liner rubs against the cover and marks it.
Itook two covers to our local dump after I found the one that fits.
The original Crossfire intake tubes fit nicely inside the Mercedes cover.
I will add the Mercedes cover part numbers I used and the set up I ended up with. (CLICK)

I looked at your setup.
So, I guess that means the air box I bought will only work if I upgrade the stock throttle body and MAF to the larger 74 mm ones?
If that's the case, does this mod provide a bit more HP ?

Old 02-09-2022, 08:37 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Im guessing its possible to mod the covers to fit with the needswings pipes? I think mine has their intake on it and for some reason none of the covers are on the car right now. The garage has several mercedes and chrysler engine covers laying around but for some reason he didnt have any on the car when I got it.

I guess I need to see if I can put the covers on to find out.

Old 02-10-2022, 09:27 AM
Received 458 Likes on 221 Posts

We put a cover from an E430 on @QuadPrism 's 04 coupe, and as far as I know, it all fit on and is clearing everything just fine. He might jump in and post more info.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:13 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

I looked at your setup.
So, I guess that means the air box I bought will only work if I upgrade the stock throttle body and MAF to the larger 74 mm ones?
If that's the case, does this mod provide a bit more HP ?
The diameters where they fit the throttle body are all the same. Same donut seal as well. My post on this subject shows the two throttle bodies side by side and you can see the outside diameters are the same but the inside diameters are different.
No noticeable HP will be the result, my post is for fitting a Mercedes engine cover which uses larger filters, a 75mm throttle body, a 75mm throttle and a EuroCharged tune. This did give a little more HP, maybe ten max. It came to about an estimated 195 HP in all, not enough for me so l got an SRT the very next year (2011) which I still have. One ride in Rudy’s SRT at the 2010 Woodward GTG told me I had to have one.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-10-2022 at 10:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by onehundred80:
Buck62 (02-10-2022), Sussudio (07-21-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 04:47 PM

So, I swapped out the air box this afternoon.
The only cutting necessary was to take an inch off the intake tubes where they meet the air box. I think it came out pretty good.
I used red adapters because, you know... red makes everything faster. 🤣
I used the stock intake tubes (for now) until I decide whether or not to do the NeedsWings CAI somewhere down the line.
I just got my Sprint Booster delivered yesterday. So, that's next on my "to do" list.

Last edited by Buck62; 02-11-2022 at 04:52 PM.
JustSynthetic.com (02-11-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 12:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a question about the effects of changing the air intake. If the air flow is changed doesn't the computer ideally need to be reprogrammed using a dynamometer, 5 gas analyzer, etc? I found a video from Scotty about it here and it made me wonder. I ask these questions because I like to learn. As a retired engineer I have an interest in learning the how's and why's. If Scotty's wrong I'd like to know, and why.

Last edited by WarrantCWO; 06-14-2022 at 10:45 PM. Reason: To request an info answer
Old 06-05-2022, 08:08 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

that is quite a bit of oil leaking down your valve cover, time to reseal the upper panels before enough of it drips onto your hot exhaust manifold.

Old 07-21-2022, 08:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wondering if anyone came upon this problem and can share the part # (or an aftermarket solution) for a deteriorating gasket on the engine cover where it mounts to the engine's air intake / sensor. I cannot find this gasket, even a call to my local dealer parts Dept came up empty. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Air Flow Gasket1.pdf (430.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-21-2022, 08:40 AM
Ddave (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 09:15 AM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello I'd like to buy your Crossfire CAI Kit, however I am in the UK. Do you have any European distributors. Or I have to buy from your website, delivery from America ?!

Old 07-21-2022, 09:18 AM

Hello, we do not have a UK distributor, we can ship to you directly, we ship to UK every week.

Old 07-24-2022, 04:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to Needswings, got the air flow gasket and finished the job - crankshaft position sensor replacement, and new air filters installed while I had the thing apart.

Old 07-24-2022, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ddave
Thanks to Needswings, got the air flow gasket and finished the job - crankshaft position sensor replacement, and new air filters installed while I had the thing apart.
wow, that made it there quick!

Old 12-23-2022, 12:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WarrantCWO
I have a question about the effects of changing the air intake. If the air flow is changed doesn't the computer ideally need to be reprogrammed using a dynamometer, 5 gas analyzer, etc? I found a video from Scotty about it here and it made me wonder. I ask these questions because I like to learn. As a retired engineer I have an interest in learning the how's and why's. If Scotty's wrong I'd like to know, and why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zofnaV5Bi_Q
Strange, after 6 months and still not an answer to my question about the air intake mod.
Makes it hard to learn as an engineer, which is what I'm trying to do with my 3 Crossfires.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:46 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by WarrantCWO
Strange, after 6 months and still not an answer to my question about the air intake mod.
Makes it hard to learn as an engineer, which is what I'm trying to do with my 3 Crossfires.
The ECU has programming which within pre-defined data points allows the ECU to adjust the engines performance through injector timing. This is similar to when the car is driven to higher altitudes or the air intake temperature changes as well as the coolant temperature. The ECU thus can also adjust to increased air flow so long as it stays within the data pre-programed and a simple change of a Cold Air Intake is within the ECU ability. However, a tune will give better performance just as when boost is added with supercharger pulley changes it then becomes necessary to reprogram the ECU ( commonly referred to as "tuning" ) to get the best performance.

Edited further: There are tuning shops that will give the Crossfire a "tune" that they have found through experience fits the changes you tell the tuner you have made to the car. Euro Tune is such a shop in that through a computer connection done at your house they will tune your Crossfire to the specs they have found through the years to best match your modifications. These are inexpensive compared to a tune involving a run on a dynamometer which is custom to your specific car.

Last edited by zip439; 12-23-2022 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Air/Intake question...