Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Awesome exhaust system for $275

Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Awesome exhaust system for $275

Anyone interested in a cheap alternative, to the high priced Borla, exhaust system that is a quick and easy bolt on? Like most X-fire owners, I was a little frustrated that no one makes an affordable quality built and sounding exhaust system. The cheapest built, that I know of is Borla for around $600. I built a quick and easy clamp on that uses the factory hangers and/or bolts to existing chassis bolts. I used mandrel bent 2 1/4 tubing (factory diameter) and a polished stainless steel ARC performance muffler. It has the same look as the Borla and sounds awesome. Not too loud, but definitely not quiet. I am looking to see how many people would be interested in it and I will put together some kits, with everything you need to install it, plus instructions. Let me know if you are interested and I can also send pictures. I plan on selling the kit for $275. It looks like a factory set up. I plan on going to the drags to do a run before and after the system is installed to get the gain in the 1/4 and approximate the hp gain.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Default Re: Awesome exhaust system for $275

please upload a sound file and pictures...

Old 12-21-2005, 10:44 AM

I'll do better than that I will upload and video file with sound. I will try to get it uploaded by tonight.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by screaminjoe
I plan on going to the drags to do a run before and after the system is installed to get the gain in the 1/4 and approximate the hp gain.
Before and after dyno runs would be great too. I would be interested to compare the HP/torque curves to see where performance is gained or lost.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than appearance and measured hp, my biggest concern would be durability. In other words, I would be concerned that the unit is hung in such a way that it does not contact other components, cannot develop a leak, associated hardware doesn't corrode easily, and such that it cannot slip off or become misaligned.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:32 PM

It is a super clean installation. The factory section that it replaces weighs about 63 lbs. Mine weighs a total of about 10 lbs, so it is much lighter. The muffler is stainless steel inside and out and comes with a lifetime warranty and the tubing is aluminized steel, but can be upgraded to stainless, for an additional costs. I wanted it to be the most cost effective set-up, but durable and a factory look. I went 3 feet back from the 3 bolt flange (just in front of the middle of the car) and cut the factory tubing. The reason i do this is to utilize the factory hanger towards the back, then my tubing slides over the factory tubing and clamps on. I mandrel bent it the same shape as the factory tubing from that point back, so there are no interferences and all the factory heat shields still line up and then to support the muffler, I used 2 clamp style universal hangers, at the front of the muffler, so they are completely hidden and they bolt to factory chassis nuts right above them. The tail factory hanger can be removed, because this set - up doesn't need it, because of how much lighter the muffler is. It is very supportive and is not going anywhere. I doubt I will get dyno runs, but at this price, I shouldn't need to. I am not going to try to sell it claiming a exact hp increase, but the muffler is a straight flow through design, with perimeter style baffles, so you can believe you will definitely get a hp increase at all rpm levels. I will calculate an approximate hp increase from the improvement in the quarter mph, by using the hp formula. I just went last week without it and it is the only change I have made. Worst case, is sounds awesome through all rpms, especially under hard acceleration, without ever being obnoxious.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:46 PM

Okay guys, I have a photo and video/sound clip of the exhaust. If you are interested, send me your e-mail and I will e-mail them to you, unless you know a way I can upload something that big on this site. The video is 6 megs and the photo is 5.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres the pic(s) --

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Xfireexhaust_bottom.jpg (101.7 KB, 878 views)
File Type: jpg
Xfireexhaust_top[1].jpg (155.3 KB, 812 views)

Last edited by former NXMX5; 12-22-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Forum Regular

I already sent my PM, requesting the info. I also am asking if the aluminized steel bits can instead be done in stainless.

One further question I have is, does the stock muffler "core" need to be donated, as some of the flange area, etc is reused in the proposed kit? Any chance of getting a flange extension welded on (instead of clamped on), in the future?

Old 12-22-2005, 02:24 AM

Yes I mentioned that in the last post. You can substitute stainless instead of aluminized steel, but the cost of the tubing is double, which would put the kit around $330. To be cost effective and an easy installation, this kit clamps on to the factory pipe, about 3 feet in front of the muffler. At that point the stock exhaust is cut and this kit slides over it and clamps on. This way is uses the factory hanger at the midpoint of the car and then 2 more hangers, that come in my kit, just in front of the muffler. You could have a muffler shop weld it to your existing pipe, where it gets cut, but then reason I am not providing the extra pipe and flange, is to keep the cost down. Remember, my intention in developing this kit was to make a quality, but cost effective alternative to the high priced Borla. If I get too elaborate the cost will get to close to the Borla and then will not be as interesting. This kit sounds awesome and looks clean. The clamp on is plenty sufficient, because the muffler is a flow though design and the kit is very secure to prevent any leaks. I have had several compliments on it and am putting together 2 kits for 2 local sales already.

Last edited by screaminjoe; 12-22-2005 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:37 AM

I went to the track and ran a 14.85 at 93.6 mph. The only change was adding the exhaust. Prior to the exhaust I ran a 15.10 at 92.3 mph. The weather was only about 15 degrees cooler and this calculates approximately to a 18 - 23 hp gain. Again, I am only approximated the gain from the change in mph, using the hp formula. But at least the exhaust didn't hurt the performance and with K&Ns, it may even do better.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Forum Regular

...the gain is a bit hard to swallow. I think the calculated hp has probably more to do with variation between runs (i.e. launch technique, reaction time, etc). But I would believe that there is some gain, maybe around 5hp (peak). I wouldn't credit the Borla much more than that (but maybe a bit, as it is a full cat back I think). My experience has been that unless you address all the restrictions in the exhaust system, generally you get held back by the weakest links (i.e. headers, pinched bends that were done to make things cheaply, catalysts, and so on). I've had good luck with headers in the past, in part due to better flow and in part due to resonance improvements.

That said, from the photos, your kit looks sweet. It's very enticing indeed. I have not yet watched the video, as it is morning right now and my wife is sleeping in the next room. I look forward to it, though. Thank-you very much for supporting the Crossfire community with reasonably priced parts. In my previous (Mazda) club, this is the kind of thing that kept the community afloat.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

very nice job.

a couple questions:

what would the cost be if it was a direct bolt on without using "any" components from the oem/factory exhaust? to become an easy swap out.

i would want to retain the "complete" factory system... so i could remove your system down the road and re-install the oem muffler again at resale, trade in, etc.

also... will tips (borla, etc) bolt on to your muffler system if desired?

thanks!

Old 12-22-2005, 10:06 AM

It looks like a honda civic muffler... I've never understood the desire to look at the back of the car and see the muffler dangling there. That's why the factory setup has some nice large tips to help hide that nasty looking tank of a muffler.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:56 AM

My 60 foot times were consistent with my last times without the muffler. So I don't think much gain came from my driving habits, but the cooler weather may have something to do with some of the gain. But again guys, I am not trying to market it for an exact horsepower gain, but my point was it definitely won't hurt the power and it sounds great.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:58 AM

As far as it looks like a civic muffler. I don't agree, and maybe you haven't seen the Borla exhaust, but it has the same look, with just slightly smaller tips.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:05 AM

Actually my intent all along was for an easy swap out, for the guys that are leasing. All that has to be done to return your factory exhaust is this; the section of my kit that slides over the cut off end of the factory one can be cut off and then you can either have a muffler shop weld the factory one back on with just one bead or use a clamp on style coupler and you are back to factory. Its about a 15 - 30 minute job. I may eventually add the extra pipe with the flange on a future kit but you are adding $100 to the price, and almost $200 if you want stainless. For now, all I am going to market it the current clamp on kit, because at that price I think most people will just pay an extra $150 for the Borla.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please take this as 'constructive' criticism, but it looks like a $275 muffler. it doesn't really fit the car (canister is too small) and there are no tips whatsoever. it just looks like some universal muffler that's been clamped on. and i think the fact that the car has to be chopped up to install it will deter alot of people as well. its a good prototype though -- listen to what the other members are saying and you might end up with a winner.

granted, i would never pay $600 for a borla (paid $330 for mine...used) so its nice to have some other options available. i'm not entirely happy with the borla, so when something better does come along, i'll jump on it --

Old 12-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Banned

My suggestion would be to find some decently priced tips (magnaflow, borla, etc.) and photoshop what they would look like on the kit. I had a similar muffler on my car and wasn't happy until the addition of the tips. Most of us bought this car for it's look, not its performance, so that's probably area 1 that has to be addressed. If it still looks classy, a lot of people will go for it.

Old 12-22-2005, 04:59 PM

Guys, anyone can add some tips to change the look, and most crossfire owners are saying they love it. Can't please everyone, especially not for $275, but if looks are more important, then keep your factory exhaust because it is the prettiest. It is a universal muffler and the ones I am actually looking to buy in bulk have flared out larger tips. As far as cutting up your exhaust, you are only doing one slice, which can be single bead welded right back. My kit is definitely not marketed towards the guys that want a pretty exhaust that is all looks. Its meant to be, and I think I have already stated this at least 3 times, a cheaper alternative to the Borla, that is stable and secure, better flow, better sound and a quick installation, that can easily be reversed back to the factory set up. In fact the 2 I just sold and installed locally, both owners said "I just want it for the better sound".

Quick Reply: Awesome exhaust system for $275