Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Deck lid will not open

Old 08-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deck lid will not open

How do I get the deck lid to open? I have locked and unlocked the system numerous times. Also I have put the top partially up to reach the emergency handle (Hoffa Handle) and nothing releases the latch. When the system is locked the latch moves freely in and out. Once the fob button is pressed twice, there is engagement of the mechanism but the latch still won't open the deck lid.
Any suggestions other than a return to the dealer?

Old 08-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Deck lid will not open

Its time for a trip to the dealer.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Deck lid will not open

Try pushing down on the deck lid, just above the latch, and unlock with the key fob. Maybe the bump-stops are adjusted to far and the lock pin is binding. Just guessing here, but it may be worth a try if you haven't already. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another theory for you. A while ago I came out from the grocery store and my lid which I thought was locked was open, I couldn't lock it. Our locks are on a pneumatic system and if the hose breaks it wont lock. Perhaps what happened here is that your lid was locked when the line broke, that's why you can't unlock it. They were able to fix mine in about an hour but it is something the dealer had to do as I couldn't get to it. Good luck and let us know what it was.

Pat

Old 07-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M. T. Nester
How do I get the deck lid to open? I have locked and unlocked the system numerous times. Also I have put the top partially up to reach the emergency handle (Hoffa Handle) and nothing releases the latch. When the system is locked the latch moves freely in and out. Once the fob button is pressed twice, there is engagement of the mechanism but the latch still won't open the deck lid.
Any suggestions other than a return to the dealer?

I had the same problem, and I was able to unscrew the steel "d-ring" that the latch uses to lock the decklid. Then I got the latch to work properly, however, now the "Car thinks" that the decklid is open because the interior light is on as if a door is open, and the top won't go back up. Any ideas?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I saw the same thing happen at the last cruise-in we had. rdougc put his top down just as he pulled into his space. Later he went to open the trunk and the latch would move but felt like it was binding. Using the remote to lock the car, the latch would move free, just not allow the trunk to open. Hit unlock and the latch again would feel like it was binding up.

Before he left, he put his top up COMPLETELY and latched it, and his trunk again to open properly.

Weird, but I saw it myself.

James

Old 07-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

just something else I have to look forward too...try what Danimal said...if that doesn't do it...dealer time...although sometimes the foldup part of the trunk gets off the switch where you lock it up, and this will cause top problems, maybe trunk latch problems as well...make sure it is in it's lock position...