Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Replace convertible top deck guard?

Old 03-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace convertible top deck guard?

The strip of black plastic tape that goes across the back deck where the convertible top meets the chassis is somewhat weathered on my otherwise mint SRT-6. I've attached a picture. I presume it got this way from spending long hours baking in the sun on a dealer's lot.

Anyway, I talked to the manager of the body shop at the dealership about this. He said it was still under warranty so I could have it replaced for free. However, it was clear that he'd never done this particular operation before. His computerized service manual had no instructions for this. He speculated that a heat gun would loosen the adhesive. He could then remove the tape, polish off the remaining adhesive, and put down a fresh strip.

On the one hand, I'd like this fixed. It makes an otherwise beautiful car look somewhat ratty. On the other hand, I'm concerned that it could turn out worse than it is now if the body shop manager's speculations turn out to be overly optimistic. I've also read plenty of stories on these forums from people who've taken their Crossfires in for minor things and gotten them back all scratched by careless technicians.

Has anybody done this before?
Could the heat gun damage the paint?
Is there some alternative I should consider first?
Should I just live with it and be happy?

He's ordered the tape (~$140) and will call me when it's in so I have a few days to ponder whether I really want to do this.

What do you think?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
img_0733.jpg (29.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-09-2007, 09:05 PM
RPM
Default Re: Replace convertible top deck guard?

I can't tell if it will work for sure from looking at the pic, but you might want to try some Meguiar's Trim Detailer first.
It may do nothing, or it may take care of it. You can get it at K-Mart or Auto Zone, etc.
I have used it for a long time with good results. My old Prelude had some sunroof trim issues and it fixed it right up.

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Forum Regular

I will try that and report my findings. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Forum Regular

Mine was worn to the point of water squirting me in the back of the head when I went through touchless car washes! I was able to take it to the dealer and have it redone under warranty. It was done in the body shop and they did a great job... but what sucks? 4 months after they replaced it? I am getting buckling all over again... I have to believe that its a (gasp) design flaw in using whatever product they select. Florida sun and the fact that I have the top down more then up has to be some type of factor.

If you want the name of my dealer that your dealer can talk to about what they did, PM me and I will give you their information, as I know they can assist your dealer in how to fix it.

Last edited by Sharonaln67; 03-09-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info! I'm glad to hear that it is possible to replace that strip though I hope it lasts longer than yours did. When I next talk to the body shop manager, I'll ask if he needs the guidance.

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2007, 08:28 AM

My top strip looked similar but it was just old wax on the strip that I couldn’t get off with a soft tooth brush and not really worn. I used some Griot’s wax remover and then some Mothers Back to Black trim enhancer and it looks new again. Now I use some painter’s masking tape to cover the area when I wax. That saves me so much time in the end.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Forum Regular

Mine was buckling, too. They replaced it in-warranty, but now - a year later - it looks worse than ever. The big problem - my dealer just went out of business... I have to fine a new dealer.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Forum Regular

I tried the Meguiar's Trim Detailer. No joy. It definitely feels better but it looks the same. I also don't think it's old wax. The car only has ~340 miles on it so it hasn't been waxed that much if it all.

I'm really sorry to hear about the buckling problems with replacement trim. Now I'm thinking I might be better off to just live with it...

Old 03-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Forum Regular

The replacement looks much worse than the original...

Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Forum Regular

I've decided to roll the dice and get the tape strip replaced. I'm taking the car in on Friday. I'll post how it turns out.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I just use Armorall on mine whenever I wash the car (which is almost every weekend) and it looks fine. I use this product on all the plastic using a car wax mitt that is used only for this purpose. The stuff on the dash fogs the windshield for a while but it is a small price to pay to avoid UV damage.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular

I'll be using Adam's VRT when I get mine back. It's in the shop right now. Fingers crossed...

Old 03-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Forum Regular

I got my SRT-6 roadster back from the dealer. The replacement deck guard looks GREAT! I'm very pleased. There was no new damage from careless techs that I saw. The body shop at Barnett Chrysler did an outstanding job.

I'll be watching closely for bubbles over the next several months but for now it all looks good.

Driving it back from the dealership was a lot of fun! It's 65 and sunny in the Twin Cities today. Driving with the top down was superb. This is the first time I've driven the car since I first drove it home from the dealership. The car felt tight, really well-built. The handling was excellent and that deep, ominous purr from the engine was unlike any other car I've ever driven. I LOVE THIS CAR!