Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlight Issue Help!!! Please!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Headlight Issue Help!!! Please!!!

Guys I need some help!

I purchased my 2005 Crossfire with 15,000 miles about 2 months ago.
I bought it with the headlights having fog on them. I printed out the "recall" on this page, which is the "kit" that Chrysler sends out for the mechanics to clean up the headlights...well, that didn't do a damn thing to help.

The dealership is being total ******** to me and just telling me the whole "its not covered under warranty." Im like....but its manufacturer warranty bumper to bumper, everything, its basically a brand new car with 15000 miles. He started giving me this sotry about his crappy jeep and how the "elements' can affect the headlights. He also said, "i didn't find any moisture inside" While explaining to me the financial hardship on the dealership and all that bullshit that i don't care.

Now, I've read on here how some of you guys were able to get your headlights replaced. Mine are in horrible condition, especially at night with the headlights on. i live in BOWLING GREEN, KENTUCKY. If any one of you know any dealerships or can share with me anything that could be helpful to help me resolved this i would greatly appreciate it.

I feel like i deserve better headlights and this car is not that old or was not driven that much to have headlights in such a terrible condition.

I would love to hear your guys' opinions and any advice on how what i shoudl say to the chrysler dealership or headquarters.

I LIVE IN: BOWLING GREEN, KENTUCKY
DEALERSHIP: MARTIN DODGE CHRSYLER JEEP

HELP A.S.A.P. PLEASE!!

(also, may i add that its still under the dealership warranty. It expires on january 21st, 2009. Meaning i am still under 2 warrantys...but apparantly they cover everything BUT headlights...WTF?)

Last edited by RHCrossfire; 01-14-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Headlight Issue Help!!! Please!!!

I think I just got done reading your other post. Yes some dealerships suck. The lot mine was on, had installed new 19" chrome aftermarket wheels, and they put 215's on the front, which left 1/4" of wheel sticking outside of the tire. Had I said something at first, he said that he might have been able to something but since I put 600 miles on the car, wouldn't do anything. There is a sticker right inside the door that says not to use anything narrower that 225's. But back to your headlights, I have had to fix them on my last three vehicles. A little tape, and very little time, can restore much of the clarity of the lenses. I found a polishing wheel kit at sears that fits on a drill, for like ten bucks, speeds thing up. If you do end up bitting the bullet and doing it on your own, take your time, and don't get over agressive. It will leave deeper scratches, than the thin layer you need to remove. anything cleracoat safe should be ok to use. Good luck, chris

Old 01-17-2009, 01:39 PM

I noticed this when I bought mine. The dealer I purchased the car from may have just been blowing smoke, but the service manager said it was caused by a weatherizer that was sprayed on them to protect them during cold storage coming in contact with high temps and sun. Regardless, I got the haze off no problem when I got the car home (1000 miles later).

1.) I used Meguiars Diamond cut compound (it is a pressure sensitive cut compound for buffing paint and clearcoat) and used it on my orbital to break down the thick, crusty stuff. You should not need to apply that much pressure, and there is no need to mask anything since the product will not damage the paint. BE CAREFUL not to let the edge of the orbital grind against the painted surfaces too long or you could burn them. For me this wasn't much of a problem because most of the haze was on the upper part of the lens.

2.) I used Mothers plastic polish to hand buff the lenses completely clear. Hand buffing allows you to get all the way to the lower corners.

3.) Liquid Glass polish over them; which is the polish I use on the whole vehicle, paint, glass, and all.

The whole process took about 20-30 minutes.

I never shot a good pic of how bad my lenses were, but they were pretty bad. Here is a photo of the car before (best I had) and a close up after:

Old 01-18-2009, 07:07 AM

has anyone used meguires plastiX