Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Passenger window glass & other new crossfire owner observations

Old 09-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger window glass & other new crossfire owner observations

replacing passenger window glass, what a pain!

Elite auto glass OEM glass replacement= $535
local auto glass shop with many recommendations, Pilkington Replacement= $225 installed!

I just bought my 04 alabaster white crossfire used with 15k miles on it for a great price. I overlooked the fact that the passengers window had been replaced by the previous owner. Buyer Beware! oh well, other than that the car is in fantastic shape and im in love. long story short do not use anything other than Pilkington brand glass in your passenger or driver door. The previous person replaced the window with another brand that I cant find reference for (ATI, ALI, AIL... something like that) the problem is that the glass does not have enough of a curve to it to make it seal correctly against the exterior weather striping at the bottom of the window. The top seals just fine. I am worried about water and other debris being caught in that gap and the door filling up with stuff that will hold moisture and then start a rust problem. I have a window glass guy coming tomorrow to replace the glass with Pilkington glass. It wont have the "Safeguard" brand on it but i figure that since it is probably made on the same manufacturing line as the stock OEM glass I should be o.k. Has anyone else had this experience or has installed the replacement Pilkington glass with any problems?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: Passenger window glass & other new crossfire owner observations

Originally Posted by rdooley79
replacing passenger window glass, what a pain!

Elite auto glass OEM glass replacement= $535
local auto glass shop with many recommendations, Pilkington Replacement= $225 installed!

I just bought my 04 alabaster white crossfire used with 15k miles on it for a great price. I overlooked the fact that the passengers window had been replaced by the previous owner. Buyer Beware! oh well, other than that the car is in fantastic shape and im in love. long story short do not use anything other than Pilkington brand glass in your passenger or driver door. The previous person replaced the window with another brand that I cant find reference for (ATI, ALI, AIL... something like that) the problem is that the glass does not have enough of a curve to it to make it seal correctly against the exterior weather striping at the bottom of the window. The top seals just fine. I am worried about water and other debris being caught in that gap and the door filling up with stuff that will hold moisture and then start a rust problem. I have a window glass guy coming tomorrow to replace the glass with Pilkington glass. It wont have the "Safeguard" brand on it but i figure that since it is probably made on the same manufacturing line as the stock OEM glass I should be o.k. Has anyone else had this experience or has installed the replacement Pilkington glass with any problems?
Pilkington made the OEM glass and replacement windshields from them (not stamped Safeguard) were no problem.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats great to hear. if you want the "Safeguard" emblem on the window prepare to add another $300 to the price tag.

Im still waiting on the glass guy to show up, even after the time was set for this morning. Makes me wonder if I want this guy to work on my car. The less that the door panel comes off the better and tighter things are going to stay. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens here.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by rdooley79
Thats great to hear. if you want the "Safeguard" emblem on the window prepare to add another $300 to the price tag.

Im still waiting on the glass guy to show up, even after the time was set for this morning. Makes me wonder if I want this guy to work on my car. The less that the door panel comes off the better and tighter things are going to stay. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens here.
Maybe you should take off the panel, some of these guys do not give a hoot and you do not want any marks or damage.