Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Weak, weak headlights!

Old 11-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak, weak headlights!

Hi, everyone. New to the Forum and just purchased a sweet 2004 coupe.

We absolutely love this car, but there's at least one nagging problem.

Driving at night is a white knuckle experience. On low beam, you can make out some kind of lighting going on, but there is no distinct headlight beam hitting the road out in front of you or the surrounding field of vision. They seem to be aimed at the ground right in front of the front bumper. Took it to the dealer where we bought it, with a good warranty, and they fiddled around and said that they had adjusted everything they could and made no change. The brights work fine; bright blue and strong beams. The lenses were restored when we bought the car and they are clear as a bell.

I called the Chrysler dealer service manager and he said he's never heard of this problem before!?! He suggested I come down and purchase a new set of halogen replacement bulbs.

Anyone have this problem or a solution?

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Weak, weak headlights!

Are you sure the low beam bulbs are correctly seated ?

If they are not, the projector will not function properly.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:10 PM

That's a great question. I don't know how thorough the used car dealership was in checking out anything other than adjustments.

I'll check that out tomorrow. It would be odd for both to be out unless it's the result of a bad replacement install.

Thank you, GDC-SRT!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is just a possibility, It has happened to others on this site when replacing headlight bulbs.

They can be a little tricky to get seated properly.

I hope that is all that is wrong

And welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of info, and lots of great people here.

If you click the search button, and type in a question you will be amazed at the threads you will find.

Edit; here is an example.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-low-beam.html

Last edited by GDC-SRT; 11-24-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 PM

Yes, good suggestion GDC-SRT.

billie789 - just make sure you have plenty of light in that area. Also, to just re-seat the bulbs, you don't have to take the springs out. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Forum Regular

I would suggest changing the bulb out. The reason being is that a stock crossfire bulb is supposed to be like a light yellowish color. When you explain that the bulb output is a bright blue, I'm thinking that your car came with after market bulbs with a blue filter on the bulbs. Try changing to stock bulbs with no kind of color filter on there..

Old 11-25-2009, 07:22 AM

I had my HID bulbs seated upside down (metal tube on bulb on top) and there was no light output on ground. Flipped and there was light....but since you have regular bulbs....just check seating like everyone else suggested.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ///SilverSaphRT6
I had my HID bulbs seated upside down (metal tube on bulb on top) and there was no light output on ground. Flipped and there was light....but since you have regular bulbs....just check seating like everyone else suggested.
I just installed Sylvania Ultra 4100 temperature-low beam bulbs and it's brighter, but made no difference in beam focus or pattern. Still scattered, difffuse low beams.

When I installed them there was a little tab stamped out of the metal base ring of the bulb and a couple of stamped indentations. I installed the bulb with the little metal tab sticking straight up at 12 o'clock. After I fastened the clip (use needle nose pliers, a flashlight and reading glasses!) on the new bulbs, I rotated the bulb gently until it felt like it clicked into place.

When you say "tube" on the bulb, are we talking about the same thing?

It sounds like I may have installed them upside down, although I can't figure out how that would have an effect if the bulb appears to be seated down all the way. Maybe it's not.

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by billie789
I just installed Sylvania Ultra 4100 temperature-low beam bulbs and it's brighter, but made no difference in beam focus or pattern. Still scattered, difffuse low beams.

When I installed them there was a little tab stamped out of the metal base ring of the bulb and a couple of stamped indentations. I installed the bulb with the little metal tab sticking straight up at 12 o'clock. After I fastened the clip (use needle nose pliers, a flashlight and reading glasses!) on the new bulbs, I rotated the bulb gently until it felt like it clicked into place.

It sounds like I may have installed them upside down, although I can't figure out how that would have an effect if the bulb appears to be seated down all the way. Maybe it's not.

I'm 50% sure the tab is @ 6 o'clock on the low beams. If they are seated correctly, you will have a very sharp horizontal cut-off line if parked nose-in to a vertical surface (garage door).
I'll try to find a pic.

The "Tube" he is speaking of is the bulb support for a HID type bulb. Not an issue in your case.

Good luck!

By the way-I found that it is easiest to adjust the bulb seating while they are on! Unclip the retainer just enough to rotate the bulb. when you hit the "sweet spot" the focus and cut-off line will be obvious. Re-attach the clip and replace the rubber caps.
You might have to adjust the beam height once you have them in place.

Last edited by maxcichon; 12-01-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billie789

Your bulbs ARE installed wrong. The tab goes at the 6'oclock position like Max has stated... this affects it greatly.

IMG_0044.jpg

Ignore the wires coming from the back of the bulb...you'll feel the difference of the bulb settling itself deep into the socket when it's right..

The following users liked this post:
jefecito (10-23-2022)
Old 12-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Forum Regular

I would suggest some hid's from ebay, might as well do the fogs at the same time, their definately easier than the low beams when installing. I had the same problem when I bought mine, couldn't see the edge of the road. I don't have that problem now. And there are some very detailed instructions in the sticky area of this paticular forum. I don't know what they are going for anymore, but I would guess 120-140 for both sets. I would have to say that these cars should have come with them already, but you'll definately stand out in traffic, as most cars atleast around here only have them for lowbeams. Just my 2 cents. chris

Old 12-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

you bought it used, so either buy new hids as suggested by the others on here, or go back stock because those after markets bulbs or hids aren't right...you should have grt lighting either way...