Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlight clips

Old 02-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight clips

Hey ya'll. Long time no see.

Earlier this week I was trying to replace my drivers side head light, and I lost the metal clip that holds the bulb in place. I guess it's called a speed clip. I took it to a Chrysler dealership where they said they can't get just that little $.02 metal clip, they would have to order a whole new headlight assembly for $550.

I don't think it matters, but I drive a 2005 Base model Crossfire Roadster. Anyone know where I could get just that little metal clip without having to replace the whole headlight assembly? If the only option is to replace the whole bloody thing, I'll super glue it in place.

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Headlight clips

someone just totaled their car.... headligts to.... but I bet that little clip is still good on one of the lights....

here is the link...
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ust-r-i-p.html

Last edited by MikeR; 02-06-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 'maybe' others on here have fabricated one or had one made (machine shop?) using one from another headlight as an example. You might be able to use a large paper clip for the material if it is long enough. Just a thought. This seems to be a re-occurring problem. Maybe one of our resident geniuses can come up with a replacement or solution and go into production. It could be a $.20 item worth much much more to someone that is missing one?

Old 02-06-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by decade85

Earlier this week I was trying to replace my drivers side head light, and I lost the metal clip that holds the bulb in place. I guess it's called a speed clip. I took it to a Chrysler dealership where they said they can't get just that little $.02 metal clip, they would have to order a whole new headlight assembly for $550.

I don't think it matters, but I drive a 2005 Base model Crossfire Roadster. Anyone know where I could get just that little metal clip without having to replace the whole headlight assembly? If the only option is to replace the whole bloody thing, I'll super glue it in place.

Thanks.
Do not super glue, you can always try to find one in a junk yard. I did find one in TN somewhere and he wanted 100 for the assembly and wouldn't part with the clips...he knew I had little choice. Fortunately for me, the lights developed some sort of mold problem in the high beam area I mine were replaced under warranty. I did manage to get some of the clips but have to find them; hopefully they didn't go out when I partially cleaned the garage. In the mean time send me a PM with your info and I can look and maybe get you one.

For everybody else, if have a good relationship with your dealers and have to have these assemblies replaced due to warranty reasons, try to get the maint shop to give you the clips and rubber caps and old light bulbs out of the old ones. The reason for the clips and caps is obvious, but you might want to have the lights as spares in case you ever have one go out.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Something else I just was thinking about. Have you ruled out that it could be in the assembly? I know when I lost one, I actually looked through the high beam side and found it in there. The reason I looked through that hole was to borrow the high beam clip until I could find the other or get a replacement.

You might be able to get it with a magnetic telescoping pen or one of those flashlights that have one built in. It will take patience, but something to do on a snowy day

Old 02-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by decade85

Thanks.
Hey, If you can't find it let me know. I have one in my truck that I offered to someone else several months ago, but I never got a final reply. PM me if needed for mailing info. I took it to the Post Office before and they said it would be $5 to mail it in a small box to keep from bending it.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Banned

I think that the key is that you should have some good and nice Headlight Assembly that you may have. In this way, you would be able to really determine some stuffs if it is compatible or not. Try doing it in order to really give in some stuffs for your car. Hope that all is well by now.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:08 AM
www.CustomCrossfire.com
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know ace hardware carries speed clips. My buddy did the same thing in his c230. we found one that would work at ace. Just take off another clip and bring it in with you

Old 10-09-2010, 02:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Duct Tape!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

There is no reason to remove the clip at all, as the bulb will go into the socket just by lifting the clip out of the way.
If it is removed it is a real trick to put it into place again with the bulb in there.

Get some steel or brass wire about the same diameter and bend one up to the shape of another clip. As long as the wire is not to soft it should work and is a cheap fix.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-09-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
Hey, If you can't find it let me know. I have one in my truck that I offered to someone else several months ago, but I never got a final reply. PM me if needed for mailing info. I took it to the Post Office before and they said it would be $5 to mail it in a small box to keep from bending it.
Hey Now!! I know it's been 10 years since you posted this but is there ANY chance you still have the clip??

I know it's a really really long shot.

Thank you,
Bruce

Old 04-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Send maxcichon an IM, he may still have some of these he made tucked away ......

Old 04-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PM responded to.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:40 PM

Guy at my repair shop fabricated one. Here's a pic.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Old 04-13-2017, 10:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as it works it is good!

Old 04-13-2017, 10:54 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by SpalooBruce
Guy at my repair shop fabricated one. Here's a pic.

Thanks to everyone who replied!
Do you have the cover for the rear of that light as it looks really dirty?