Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

HOW TO replace headlight bulb. Pictured step by step instructions

Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO replace headlight bulb. Pictured step by step instructions

Originally Posted by bsb6
There must be something in the air. My passanger side went out the other day. Thanks fot the photos and info. I drove to work this morning, the dang things were pointed down, got them properly seated this evening. Can't wait to try them in the a.m. I got the Sylvania SilverStar Ultras, $ 40.00 for the pait @ Advanced Auto.
These SilverStar Ultras do not seem to last long, bright light = short life.
This is just one thread on them.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...eadlights.html

Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I should have done a little more reading, I thought about the HID, but decided to stay stock. That may well change if these burn out quickly.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post, I will be replacing my passenger side headlight to-morrow ,
As for "something in the air "1 in 5 cars seem to have a passenger light out on my trip this week

Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:33 PM

Nice post. My driver's side low beam burnt out recently. I popped the hood thinking it may be a quick fix, saw that it wasn't a standard job, then logged on to get the fix straight from this forum.

You didn't disappoint! Your post is the first on the list (at least for now), and above all, it's a pictorial. This is my day

Going to fit the new bulb in tomorrow. Thanks for the DIY instructions and pics. Seems easy enough.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad this thread is helping people as it was intended

Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It really is a 5 Minuit job ,but it took me 4 hours and 5 Min's, I changed the main beam by mistake and that took 4 hours Duh!!!!. There is a lot less space to work in due to the rad tank, working with a mirror and looking thou the wrong part of my tri-locals proved to be rather challenging. After an hour I managed to release the clip then working from feel only I tried to remove the bulb, however it dropped into the head lite housing along with the clip, so another hour was spent trying to retrieve the bulb and clip.
Using fishing line ,string and a mirror I somehow managed to replace the retaining clip, only to find I had put in in back wards , so I have to switch it to the correct position. Not wanting to drop the bulb into the housing I used fishing line and threaded it Thu the bass terminals this part went fairly smooth, a bit of a struggle to replace the clip and time to test, "OH NO"
Replacing the low beam is a piece of cake,
I tried to remove the rad overflow tank, but there must be a hidden bolt on the underside of the tank,I also tried to remove the headlight assembly but again could only find 2 screws.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:57 AM

Alright, I must confess that this sounded easier than I thought. Thanks for the pictorial. It really was solid, but execution is funky to say the least.

I didn't have the same trouble as Sandgrounder. His looks like it got messy quickly. I got down to the point where it's old bulb off, new bulb on, but got stuck at the bulb off part. It wouldn't come off. I tugged, shook, twisted, and turned the bulb without success. I stopped short of tearing the thing off the assembly, and with a few scuffs on my hand to show for it. Here's the result: I was beaten by the bulb! I couldn't do it. What came across as a simple job was nothing short of a full on war (and believe me I changed a fair share of bulbs over my 20 year car ownership history).

I had to get the dealership to do it for me when I took the car in for routine service. How embarrassing is that?!
PS: both caps came off my fog lights over a year ago and I never bothered to change them. Now I won't bother trying.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't really change just the cap on the fog lights. You can either open the assembly and remove the cap or get new assemblies. I've tried gluing the cap back on, but it fell off again.

I'm surprised this many people are having issues with changing the bulbs.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no idea why, in a car with projectors from the factory, why you guys are not doing the HID conversion.

Trust me, Max did a great how to on that and if you can change your bulbs, you are more than likely qualified to install an HID kit.

Just my 0.02 but these things go up 10 style points when the HIDs come on instead of incandescent bulbs.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
I have no idea why, in a car with projectors from the factory, why you guys are not doing the HID conversion.

Trust me, Max did a great how to on that and if you can change your bulbs, you are more than likely qualified to install an HID kit.

Just my 0.02 but these things go up 10 style points when the HIDs come on instead of incandescent bulbs.
Couldn't agree more. It seems like a pretty big oversight that HIDs didn't come standard from the factory, or at least as an option to upgrade to. And honestly, a decent HID kit doesn't cost toooo much more than a pair of high end standard bulbs. Look at the PIAA H7s, almost 60 bucks for a pair, for just a little more you can get HIDs, so might as well.

I went with the Sylvania Silverstars for a while, but just wasn't satisfied and the bulb life was so short that I was replacing them at least once a year.

HIDs just seemed like a logical next step.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by No_Dominion
Couldn't agree more. It seems like a pretty big oversight that HIDs didn't come standard from the factory, or at least as an option to upgrade to. And honestly, a decent HID kit doesn't cost toooo much more than a pair of high end standard bulbs. Look at the PIAA H7s, almost 60 bucks for a pair, for just a little more you can get HIDs, so might as well.

I went with the Sylvania Silverstars for a while, but just wasn't satisfied and the bulb life was so short that I was replacing them at least once a year.

HIDs just seemed like a logical next step.
Absolutely, and for the record, I just ordered 2 more kits from an ebay vendor I have ordered from before, the kits are Xantec and in my last car, it lasted 2+ years, the cost - $37 shipped LOL

Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Digilz
Alright, I must confess that this sounded easier than I thought. Thanks for the pictorial. It really was solid, but execution is funky to say the least.

I didn't have the same trouble as Sandgrounder. His looks like it got messy quickly. I got down to the point where it's old bulb off, new bulb on, but got stuck at the bulb off part. It wouldn't come off. I tugged, shook, twisted, and turned the bulb without success. I stopped short of tearing the thing off the assembly, and with a few scuffs on my hand to show for it. Here's the result: I was beaten by the bulb! I couldn't do it. What came across as a simple job was nothing short of a full on war (and believe me I changed a fair share of bulbs over my 20 year car ownership history).

I had to get the dealership to do it for me when I took the car in for routine service. How embarrassing is that?!
PS: both caps came off my fog lights over a year ago and I never bothered to change them. Now I won't bother trying.
sorry to hear that. I did not experience that at all.

HIDs do sound more locigal. I think I will go ahead and upgrade.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 PM

Thank you for the excellent pictures and directions! Again this site saved me money! I'm a chick and so far have repaired several things on my car, so you were right even a chick could follow those directions.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Looks like the passenger side to me. ( Edit ; OK you corrected the side now)

I did my driver side two weeks ago and the passenger side went this week and by coincidence I changed it today.

You are right, do not remove the clip, just swing it up.

If you have it in with the flats down and it does not seem to be aligned correctly do not undo the clip, just grab the electrical socket and move it into the correct position and you will feel it snap into its seat.

The drivers side is easier than the passenger side where there is hardly any room. Needle nose pliers with 45 degree ends are the best tool to use to pull the plug and to push and release the clip.

If you have fingers like Polish sausages you will have a real hard time.
are you talking about me 180?
gryfan

Old 12-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These SilverStar Ultras do not seem to last long, bright light = short life.
This is just one thread on them.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...eadlights.html
I have Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra's in everything I have owned in the last 5 years or so and I just don't seem to have the burn out problem so far that others talk about. I've had a couple burn out but in 5 -6 cars in the last 5 years or so but nothing more than that, knock on wood. I get them on ebay and never pay more than $30 a pair.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Musclefan mentioned not being able to put the spring back after taking it out rather than lifting it up out of the way. Here is a view of the spring and its mounting points.
Just put one end in place and flex the spring enough to insert the other end.
Yeah I know, easier said than done, use needle nose pliers and a mirror, if you are nervous about it springing away tie a thin piece of string or thread to it and tie the other end down.
Since I did this post I have found that the easiest way to put the spring back in place is to do it by feel alone.
You know what it looks like so with one fingertip on a hinge point you slide the end of the spring under your fingertip and feel it go into its position. Move your finger tip to the other hinge point and repeat.
No mirrors required just use your sense of feel, it works a treat.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:21 AM

PS: a quick update....
I replaced my dead diver's side low beam in late Oct 2010. My passenger side went out now - 2 months after to be precise.

It's been just under 5 years that I've owned this car and I find it eerie that the lifeline on these bulbs is almost identical. It's the first time I change either bulb since I bought the car. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or just how these things are manufactured. Whichever, I think it's amazing these lights lasted 5 yrs. I never had the same luck with the damn foggies though. I jump to change them when the cap pops of, but I haven't done that in over a year because both fog lights work fine without them (and the darn things cost a heap to replace)

Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
I get them on ebay and never pay more than $30 a pair.
Larry, next time do yourself a favor and spend $40 on some HIDs for the XF. Looks much more updated, as a luxury touring coupe should, and lights up the roads MUCH better. An easy DIY install as well, or come down to Indy and we can throw them in in under an hour....

Old 01-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Larry, next time do yourself a favor and spend $40 on some HIDs for the XF. Looks much more updated, as a luxury touring coupe should, and lights up the roads MUCH better. An easy DIY install as well, or come down to Indy and we can throw them in in under an hour....
I probably will take you up on that If you don't mind when the time comes. Thinking serious about it anyway. Thanks, Larry

Quick Reply: HOW TO replace headlight bulb. Pictured step by step instructions