Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

blown turn signal bulb, or not?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blown turn signal bulb, or not?

I thought I’d throw this out, I didn’t see anything posted referring to this exact issue. My right side (passenger) side turn signal bulb quit working. When turning the right signals on, it would blink very fast, the rear signal worked but the front was out. Thinking it was a simple bulb replacement; I bought a couple of new bulbs.

I pulled the bulb assembly and removed the old bulb and holding it up to the light, it really didn’t look blown. Since I already had new bulbs, I put one in and replaced the bulb assembly into the headlight module.

Starting the car and hitting the lever, the problem was still with me, rear worked and the front didn’t. Hummmm? Now what? I pulled the bulb assembly back out and as I was looking it over I noticed a small metal contact point on the side of the bulb assembly. Using my fingernail, I gently (GENTLY) pulled it out at tad (less than a 64th of in inch) and put in back in the headlight module.

Eureka! It worked. I don’t know how it would lose the connection, I mean it just sits there and does nothing. The point is, before you spend big bucks, take a look at this solution. It worked for me.

The following users liked this post:
Alberto63 (07-24-2021)
Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: blown turn signal bulb, or not?

You have got to love the experience that can be found here! I had precisely the same problem

Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Afterguard
You have got to love the experience that can be found here! I had precisely the same problem
So here's the rest... Same corner of the car, same symptoms, changed bulbs with no result. Found Vpat's instructions, did what he said and viola! I have all the turn signals working again! How cool is that?

Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM

thanks VPats!!! i did the same. new fuses bulbs....it was just the contact! nice thread...thanks!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Forum Regular
Post Re: blown turn signal bulb, or not?

Had the issue in reverse. The bulb indicator would show even when all of the bulbs were connected and lit properly. Drove over some rougher patches of freeway a few days later, the indicator went out but the bulbs still remained lit.
I was going to put in clear indicators and mirrored colored bulbs but now that I stumbled on this thread I might hold off awhile

Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

if it is the upper front turn signal housing, they had some bad ones out there. I ordered new ones, but never received them. So I had to solder my old one. Sooner or later, they will actually seperate, and soldering will be necessary. The reason I say there are bad ones out there, is the coupes are different manufacturer than the roadster. The roadster's look better made.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aha! I had the same problem and was just poring over the service manual but thought I'd check here before attacking the multi-function control lever. Sure enough, one of the contacts on the turn signal bulb housing wasn't making good contact and it had a hole burned into it. I attempted to solder the hole but ended up just pulling it out a bit as others mentioned.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P3064242.JPG (167.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:17 AM

NICE!!! I have the same exact problem, unfortunately I'm at work right now, but cant wait to go home and see if this solution works.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:22 AM

BTW, bending it out a bit wasn't enough so I wrapped a wire around the contact covering the hole and soldered it again and the solder held that time and I haven't had any more problems.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by X-fired
BTW, bending it out a bit wasn't enough so I wrapped a wire around the contact covering the hole and soldered it again and the solder held that time and I haven't had any more problems.
awesome, the turn signal deciding to work whenever it wanted to was starting to get annoying, hopefully this solves it.

The following users liked this post:
Nabs (03-23-2021)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 PM

This is nuts. I seriously had this issue just start last night. Crazy. Definitely going to look into this when I get home tonight.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:22 AM

Thanks for the idea, but mine runs deeper...
My leftside headlites are out, middle tail light bulb DOES NOT LIGHT UP, , front right blinker as described here, and my radar detector (plugged into the cigarette lighter) comes on when I pull the bright headlight lever! Voodoo, see my post 11/19/11 VOODOO BAD JUJU

any Ideas?

Old 11-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by devilduck
Thanks for the idea, but mine runs deeper...
My leftside headlites are out, middle tail light bulb DOES NOT LIGHT UP, , front right blinker as described here, and my radar detector (plugged into the cigarette lighter) comes on when I pull the bright headlight lever! Voodoo, see my post 11/19/11 VOODOO BAD JUJU

any Ideas?
Check your original post...good luck...

Old 10-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread gave me solace a bit earlier this month, but the problem returned. When I tried pulling that contact up again, it detached from the rest of the assembly. Pretty cheap to not be able to withstand a minor adjustment. So, I'm looking for a replacement socket and it appears there are none to be had. What's a guy to do? Are there any non OEM replacements that would work? Perhaps I'll have to resort to looking through a junkyard. Anyone got one for sale?

Coyote

Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyote
This thread gave me solace a bit earlier this month, but the problem returned. When I tried pulling that contact up again, it detached from the rest of the assembly. Pretty cheap to not be able to withstand a minor adjustment. So, I'm looking for a replacement socket and it appears there are none to be had. What's a guy to do? Are there any non OEM replacements that would work? Perhaps I'll have to resort to looking through a junkyard. Anyone got one for sale?

Coyote
These parts have numbers on them, maybe even a maker. Google the number and see what happens.
This works a lot of the time, we may not know but 'Google the Almighty' does.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyote

Coyote
Your best option is to either solder the contact back on there or check junkyards for damaged headlights and you can just buy the turn signal socket. I thought they are supposed to make parts for 10 years but that part is no longer available.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:27 PM

Ok, so now I have the infamous turn signal problem....... all lamps are good, all lamps light up normally when I lock the car, unlock the car and hit the emergency flashers.
when the lamp out indicator comes on, the turn signals stop working, when it goes out, signals work fine, an intermittent problem, no doubt...... any ideas???

Kaptn

Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by KraziKrossfire
Ok, so now I have the infamous turn signal problem....... all lamps are good, all lamps light up normally when I lock the car, unlock the car and hit the emergency flashers.
when the lamp out indicator comes on, the turn signals stop working, when it goes out, signals work fine, an intermittent problem, no doubt...... any ideas???

Kaptn
See my comments above.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello fellas!

Just wanted to say - I had the same problem as described in this thread! Blinker was blinking fast, headlight bulb not working, tail light bulb blinking rapidly but all bulbs ok! Took the assembly out and checked the contacts closer, had the infamous "hole" in one of the metal contacts and all I needed to do was pull it out slightly. Need to be careful as it looks very fragile. Could also be soldered but since I don't have a soldering iron laying around that was a no-go.
Everything works out fine! Amazing! This forum is worth every penny...oh wait!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
These parts have numbers on them, maybe even a maker. Google the number and see what happens.
This works a lot of the time, we may not know but 'Google the Almighty' does.

To follow up on this, there were some of these sockets listed on various parts sites, but all were out of stock when one tried to order, and no more were being shipped to those distributors. In the end, I had to buy a replacement headlamp assembly to get what I needed. And, since the lens was heavily scarred on my original (tried polishing, to no avail), it worked out well. However, then I felt the need to buy a new headlamp assembly for the passenger side. Then I put XPEL film over both of them. Everything looks good and is working fine now.

Quick Reply: blown turn signal bulb, or not?