Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Morimoto HID Kit Install & Review Thread. Pics and Lots of Reading!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Morimoto HID Kit Install & Review Thread. Pics and Lots of Reading!

Originally Posted by maxcichon
As a matter of fact, I do. Every piece of equipment I own or control in my lab is kept immaculate.

I find it easier, and more satisfying, to clean any equipment beforehand instead of my hands after using them. As a future physician, you should be able to relate to this.

I hope?
haha i wasnt being sarcastic.. I reallyyyy need to clean my car all over... but that'll have to wait till the 19th (after 1pm )... and you'll be happy to know that as a researcher I always kept my space clean! even when i spilled deadly neurotoxins all over the table.. yup!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolme
haha i wasnt being sarcastic.. I reallyyyy need to clean my car all over... but that'll have to wait till the 19th (after 1pm )... and you'll be happy to know that as a researcher I always kept my space clean! even when i spilled deadly neurotoxins all over the table.. yup!
Good to hear, buddy. I was just a bit put off by the OP in his somewhat snotty response to my (almost) joke about taking, and posting, photographs of a slovenly engine compartment and then defending this decision stating that it's "only his daily" (driver). And then stating that his "weekend" cars' underside is cleaner than my topside. If he only had a clue...

This is probably NOT the place to defend neglect of a Chrysler Crossfire. For whatever reason. If you want to let your car go to ****, buy a 2000 Honda Accord. Want to buy mine? It's really clean!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 PM

Good to hear, buddy. I was just a bit put off by the OP in his somewhat snotty response to my (almost) joke about taking, and posting, photographs of a slovenly engine compartment and then defending this decision stating that it's "only his daily" (driver). And then stating that his "weekend" cars' underside is cleaner than my topside. If he only had a clue...

This is probably NOT the place to defend neglect of a Chrysler Crossfire. For whatever reason. If you want to let your car go to ****, buy a 2000 Honda Accord. Want to buy mine? It's really clean!
Almost as rude as posting the first reply of a lengthy, detailed, well written review with a link to how to clean an engine bay. Don't worry, I accept your apology. You can see in my signature a link to my weekend car, and I stand by my claim. The Crossfire is my daily driver, it gets dusty. Though everyone can rest assured I cleaned the engine bay today, inside of the wheels, and polished the door jambs.

What people should really be focusing on here is that the Morimoto kit annihilates eBay kits in terms of function and performance. I wouldn't recommend the kit so relentlessly if I didn't see the difference back to back for myself.

I have these coming to me in the mail currently:
Blazer Fog Light Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Planning on doing a retrofit into stock housings. Aiming for an OEM look with high quality projector performance. I will be posting a full tutorial and review in about a week and a half. For the price that Chrysler wants to charge when our foglights (inevitably) crack...this kit could be the solution.

Cheers,

Old 08-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Forum Regular

Wow thats nice..... i just bought replacement bulbs for my weak-sauce ebay kit . I will take your advice and get this rape *** kit

Old 08-12-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by 604Cash
Almost as rude as posting the first reply of a lengthy, detailed, well written review with a link to how to clean an engine bay. Don't worry, I accept your apology. You can see in my signature a link to my weekend car, and I stand by my claim. The Crossfire is my daily driver, it gets dusty. Though everyone can rest assured I cleaned the engine bay today, inside of the wheels, and polished the door jambs.
Boy, you sure told me off!

Glad you took the hint.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of HIDPlanet and their excellent knowledge, but I just can't get over the fact that this 'high quality kit' looks like every single other chinese hid kit but with a nice paint job on the ballast and a well designed website.

Hell, look at the bulbs. They are 100% similar, no?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nox1s
I know of HIDPlanet and their excellent knowledge, but I just can't get over the fact that this 'high quality kit' looks like every single other chinese hid kit but with a nice paint job on the ballast and a well designed website.

/shrug these morimoto balasts look pretty different and original. \I went to the site and saw the bulbs. they do look the same, but its the construction of them that matters, which is something we cannot see from the pics... I'd give em a chance... I might even buy some of their bulbs for my current setup just to see.

Last edited by Kolme; 08-15-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolme
/shrug these morimoto balasts look pretty different and original. \I went to the site and saw the bulbs. they do look the same, but its the construction of them that matters, which is something we cannot see from the pics... I'd give em a chance... I might even buy some of their bulbs for my current setup just to see.
H11 6000K Xenon HID Conversion Kit+Super Slim Ballast | eBay

Old 08-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Forum Regular

/shrug those balasts look pretty different from the morimotos.. like by alot..

Old 08-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by nox1s

All I can say is once I installed the kit, the difference was VERY apparent. The ballasts on the Morimoto kit feel much more substantial while the eBay kit ballasts feel hollow almost. You will not believe the difference between this kit and the eBay kits. I was able to do basically a back to back comparison and the kits are on two different planets for performance, looks, and price obviously. If you want to go all smurf style go eBay, if you want OEM looking high output HID spend the extra $100. Up to you!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:50 AM

All I can say is once I installed the kit, the difference was VERY apparent. The ballasts on the Morimoto kit feel much more substantial while the eBay kit ballasts feel hollow almost. You will not believe the difference between this kit and the eBay kits. I was able to do basically a back to back comparison and the kits are on two different planets for performance, looks, and price obviously. If you want to go all smurf style go eBay, if you want OEM looking high output HID spend the extra $100. Up to you!
OK, since you have both of the kits on-hand, replace one side with the old "cheapies" and take some photos for us? Both of the car and the light pattern on a wall or similar?

Convince us, like?

Old 08-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Forum Regular

OK, since you have both of the kits on-hand, replace one side with the old "cheapies" and take some photos for us? Both of the car and the light pattern on a wall or similar?

Convince us, like?
Not a bad idea. You should change one of the bulbs to give us an idea of the difference between the bulbs. Then change one of the balasts using the morimoto bulbs so we can see the difference between balasts. And then replace both the balast and bulb on one side with the old stuff and give us an overall idea of what to expect....

I recently bought my VVME kit and installed it, worked out pretty well... But if you can show me that your morimoto really makes a world of difference, then I'd consider it for my other cars instead of VVME.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:33 AM

Since I already had the old crappy HID kit in, I went ahead and pulled that out of both my headlights and threw it in the garbage can. I felt better already.
The old kit is where it belongs, far away in a landfill. I don't need to do the hard sell here, your guys' cars and money. HIDPlanet forum has members with far more technical knowledge on the subject that could speak well to the difference in quality and how that affects the performance of the light output. I simply know what I can see, which I've described above.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 604Cach
The original link is now broken. Can someone recommend a good source for these kits?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by KelloggKid
The original link is now broken. Can someone recommend a good source for these kits?
www.theretrofitsource.com

Might have to copy/paste, not sure why the link won't work by clicking.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

www.theretrofitsource.com

Might have to copy/paste, not sure why the link won't work by clicking.
try this one :

Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Cut and paste got me to the site okay - thanks.

I'm sorry to be such a *** but I'm totally new to HID. There are no longer any Morimoto Stage II kits shown on that site. At least not that I could see.

Should I be ordering the H7 Elite kit instead? If so, should I order it with the optional can-bus harness or the relay?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:52 PM

I'm tired of my set. I bought the McCullough 6k set and have replaced the caps twice. The right side continually goes out after about 2-3 weeks of use. I'm almost to the point of switching back to my ultrastars for reliability and not having to dismantle my frontside every other weekend.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by KelloggKid
Cut and paste got me to the site okay - thanks.

I'm sorry to be such a *** but I'm totally new to HID. There are no longer any Morimoto Stage II kits shown on that site. At least not that I could see.

Should I be ordering the H7 Elite kit instead? If so, should I order it with the optional can-bus harness or the relay?
H7 Elite / CAN bus

Spoke with them yesterday, this is what they recommend for Crossfire.
They recommend ONLY low beams, they say that high beams are switched on/off too often,
and that 2 sets together is a bit much on oncoming traffic if you don't dim in time.
( Never had a retailer talk me OUT of ordering an extra set )

BTW: price is $120 / set of H7's today instead of $150 ........

Old 11-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Max suggested, can someone please compare the two when they are doing the 'upgrade' from the 'cheap ebay crap'.

By the way, I have installed 10+ HID kits in XFs and every single one has been the 'cheap ebay crap'. Some of them going on three years with no failures and the 'cheap crap' comes with a longer warranty than the propsed kit here - 2 year. I would not group all ebay items together as crap because you either got a bad apple, were not installing them correctly, or simply picked a seller of bad merchandise.

If they are that much better, I will be the FIRST to buy, but simply charging 3x more with components that look damn near identicle to the 'crap' will take more convincing for those of us who have had good experience...

Quick Reply: Morimoto HID Kit Install & Review Thread. Pics and Lots of Reading!