Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Morimoto HID Kit Install & Review Thread. Pics and Lots of Reading!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Morimoto HID Kit Install & Review Thread. Pics and Lots of Reading!

I have had some 'not so cheap' ebay HID's in for about 18 months and they are great....I think I paid about $75.... when I was looking at the OP's install instructions I noted that his light harness looks EXACTLY like mine... 35W Slim ballasts are different than this... but they work great and had a clean sharp cutoff also... to each his own...

Old 11-30-2011, 07:18 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, now I really like the Morimoto, but was leaning heavy toward one from Euro Effects. Anyone have any experience with them? They seem to make a high end kit. Close to same price, would like to see info on the Morimoto fog conversion before I decide.

What makes the EFX Conversion kit beat the competition

The common fuse is often replaced by resistors, relays, or modules. However, newer vehicles 2006 and up are now using computer controlled modules for headlights. Due to the update, relays, resistors, & even some fuses are now being eliminated. EFX Euro Effects has specially programmed our digital chips inside our ballast to function with OEM standards; thus giving you no errors, no flickering and no DTC codes. We have designed size specific plug-in type connectors to connect to OEM power cable without any cutting, which makes it a simple Plug-and-Play installation. When it comes to putting an aftermarket HID lighting kit on your car, buying some cheap generic HID kit is not the way to go. Why take the risk of burning up your $2000 computer, damaging your Headlight system , or even your housing and wiring costing $600 or more? We at Euro Effects don't play a guessing game when it comes to designing our ballast for your vehicle. We went through 1000's of hours of testing and programming making sure our kits work with all vehicle manufacturers. Our HID bulbs were designed to meet OEM standards like Philips and Osram quality, but at an affordable price for all to enjoy. We strongly believe our color rendering is amongst the best in the industry. We have the widest selection of Kelvin and Exotic colors. Our bulb's life is 5000 hours and can easily withstand harsh conditions. The EFX HID bulb colors are very rich and guaranteed not to fade or burnout.

WHY OUR BALLASTS ARE CONSIDERED THE BEST QUALITY

The most advanced HID ballasts made in China use a CPU programming controller (Digital Ballast). The program is so easy to copy that an electrical engineer could easily make this type of ballast in his living-room. This is why HID makers in China have grown so rapidly. These types of ballasts are not capable of real-time lamp monitoring (lamp current always changing). The operation is not smooth and safe, and then it causes many problems from electrical damage to possible fire loss. Many of our customers have already tried these so called "Super Digital Ballasts", and many customers always say that an HID system that is made in China is no good, and their one year warranty is difficult. Color Fades, Lights flicker, colors wont match. These are all very common problems with cheap HID.

ASIC EuroEffects ballasts are equipped with an ASIC chipset controller which, is the same type as HELLA (BMW, Mercedes HID Manufacturer); Matsushida (Nissan HID Manufacturer), etc. This type of chipset is very difficult to design, and cost our Engineering Department $600,000 to develop. This chipset has the capabilities of real-time lamp-monitoring and protection. EuroEffects chipset stabilizes the unit for perfect function at all times in all conditions. This crucial point is why our HID ballasts can last up to 10,000 Hours without any problems. HID bulb life is 5,000 hours using our ballast, compared to only 2,000 hours using CPU controller found in China ballasts. EuroEffects HID systems can be put in a class of quality that very few companies can reach.

EFX hid kit BENEFITS
  • Standard Kelvin colors reproduce the color spectrum of daylight almost exactly
  • 3x the improved visibility at night & bad weather
  • Great choice for people suffering from bad night vision
  • Reflects road markings and signs better than any conventional halogen lights
  • Enables drivers to concentrate better on the roads, less eye fatigue & much safer driving
  • Increases reaction time due to better visibility with its added contrast to the road
  • 3600 Lumens means super bright output compared to standard Xenon replacements or stock halogen bulbs
  • 35% less power consumption than your stock halogen bulbs (More Eco Friendly/Green)
  • Directly replace all OEM/stock HID bulbs of domestic & imported vehicles
  • Makes your car look unique, adds style, & luxury
  • Simple & quick, Plug & Play Installation
  • Extra long life expectancy: Over 5000 hours of bulb life compared to original halogen bulbs 200-300 hours.
  • This kit can last the entire life or your vehicle once installed.
  • Works 100% without any interference to the Newer BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes computers.
  • NO RELAYS OR ERROR cancellers needed
  • E-Mark , TUV ISO 9001-2000 certified
  • Lifetime limited warranty.
Professional equipment

Every HID conversion kit EuroEffects produces is put through a 12 stage testing process before it ever leaves the factory. EuroEffects spent 1.2 Million dollars just in Quality Control testing equipment. Most companies selling HID kits don't even have a Quality Control Department and if they do they simply test the product to see if it turns on. EuroEffects is setting the standard in QUALITY HID lighting and they back their HID kits with the best warranty in the business.

Last edited by MrMoPar; 11-30-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:26 PM

I remembered that I still had the box for my kit... it is a Pilot(tm) 35watt Slim model... and it was more than I remembered....

NOTTO® SE - Complete HID Conversion Kit # NT-25369 - Give more sport style to your car with Universal H.I.D Xenon Light System Conversion Kit. Available in 3000K, 5000K, 10000K, and 15000K. 1 Year Warranty.
Options: Color Output: [5000K] - DIAMOND WHITE

$ 124.95

Bulb life is stated as "over 3000 hours". And they are 2 years old now.....

Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeR
I remembered that I still had the box for my kit... it is a Pilot(tm) 35watt Slim model... and it was more than I remembered....

NOTTO® SE - Complete HID Conversion Kit # NT-25369 - Give more sport style to your car with Universal H.I.D Xenon Light System Conversion Kit. Available in 3000K, 5000K, 10000K, and 15000K. 1 Year Warranty.
Options: Color Output: [5000K] - DIAMOND WHITE

$ 124.95

Bulb life is stated as "over 3000 hours". And they are 2 years old now.....
MikeR, I just looked at them and they seem identical to mine ($35 eBay crap).

$600K in development costs? BS.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 PM

I did copy your install instructions.......

I liked them so much that I put a set of them in my F250 pickemup truck too.... now that makes a BIG difference....

Old 07-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My XF2006 has marked on the headlight lens( outer housing) H7, can I assume that they are HID H7s?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

"H7" only indicates the physical design of the bulb. Wires running through your caps and a ballast mounted externally indicate HID.. otherwise they would be stock halogen bulbs.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:09 AM

You know guys i may be a noob here, but i am a member on the HidPlanet Forum as well.

One of the main Diffrences is the ballasts.
they are AC powered as oposed to the DC powered ebay crap.
Ever notice the buzz coming from your headlights??
Yea thats the DC.

How long does it take the Ebay ones to power up? around 10 secs
Morimotos? about 3<---almost the same as OEM headlights.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by 03tahoe2012
You know guys i may be a noob here, but i am a member on the HidPlanet Forum as well.

Yea thats the DC.

So basically from here out I have to spend and extra seven seconds in semi darkness for not spending an extra 300 bucks. Can't actually recall any situation that endangered my life over seven seconds of headlight..or made me look cooler..or made the car faster..

And If I would have bought a vet....
I could have had a V-8

Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea thats the DC.

And where, pray tell, does one find AC power in a car?

Oh, and BTW-my ebay crap HID's are silent. Both H7's AND 9006's.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon

Oh, and BTW-my ebay crap HID's are silent. Both H7's AND 9006's.
Power comes from the gigawatt converters built into them there high dollar ballast!
Also good for late night redneck barn parties.. buddy can't dance? Just sneak some jumpers over and attach.. turn on your lights and clear the dance floor!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:45 PM

And who had the bright idea to set up a forum so you can argue over who's the brightest???

Old 08-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after much research on hid kits, i went with the morimoto kit from the retrofit source.
great people to deal with as i asked them many questions via emails and they were very prompt in getting back to me.
highly recommend them to all.
also great help from 604cash old post.
i took the passenger unit out and this made the job easier.
while doing this i also installed osram super bright off-road px26d high beams, h7 12v 65w.
great setup.
thanks to alll that have posted on this thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I think you can find it in the basic alternator output. But you knew that already, you just forgot.
ALTERNATOR = alternating current.
GENERATOR = direct current.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-23-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:00 AM

Hi guys

I was about to buy an "ebay Crap and I found this topic !

SO i went to the retrofitsource website to buy a Morimoto kit. But there is so many kits, I am completely lost, don't know which one to pick :/

ps: For an Aero Blue SRT-6

Thanks guy !

( This forum is awesome )

Old 03-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by massanu
Hi guys, I was about to buy an "ebay Crap and I found this topic !
SO i went to the retrofitsource website to buy a Morimoto kit. But there is so many kits, I am completely lost, don't know which one to pick :/
ps: For an Aero Blue SRT-6
Thanks guy ! ( This forum is awesome )
I have these installed on my Aero Blue SRT6. I originally had a lesser premium kit (around $85) that just didn't do it for me. I bought one of the Morimoto 3Five kits and never looked back. Yes they are more expensive, but they are inline with the best kits which run from $250 - $400 (Phillips, Osram) so you do actually get more from what you pay for. The light output is really that much better and noticeably whiter ( I went with 5000k color output; almost pure white). If you're gonna pay for this kit, better off spending the extra $20 for the XB35 bulb option. I have the older 3fives, before they released the XB35s, and I do notice the shadow from the bar running along the bulb. Apparently the XB35s reverse the position of the bar which corrects the shadow effect. Plus the XB35s are said to be a step up on the older 3Fives (cooler and brighter). And make sure you select the canbus H7 under the harness type. And don't bother with the 5Fives. Not much more light output and they get extremely hot and could possibly damage the lens.

H7: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

Old 03-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi
Apparently the XB35s reverse the position of the bar which corrects the shadow effect.
I cannot find anything that says the shadow is gone. Did you read this somewhere?

Old 03-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I cannot find anything that says the shadow is gone. Did you read this somewhere?

Old 03-03-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by syfi
I have these installed on my Aero Blue SRT6. I originally had a lesser premium kit (around $85) that just didn't do it for me. I bought one of the Morimoto 3Five kits and never looked back. Yes they are more expensive, but they are inline with the best kits which run from $250 - $400 (Phillips, Osram) so you do actually get more from what you pay for. The light output is really that much better and noticeably whiter ( I went with 5000k color output; almost pure white). If you're gonna pay for this kit, better off spending the extra $20 for the XB35 bulb option. I have the older 3fives, before they released the XB35s, and I do notice the shadow from the bar running along the bulb. Apparently the XB35s reverse the position of the bar which corrects the shadow effect. Plus the XB35s are said to be a step up on the older 3Fives (cooler and brighter). And make sure you select the canbus H7 under the harness type. And don't bother with the 5Fives. Not much more light output and they get extremely hot and could possibly damage the lens.

H7: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc
Thanks ! Awesome. I'd rather spent 170$ and get some quality products :-)

Old 03-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the MorimotoH7 elite 3five kit last year as well, and it works like a charm. The light output is just epic compared to any halogens.

About the XB35 bulbs, I spoke with Matt from retrofitsource, and he informed me that the XB35 bulbs still have the shadow on the ground for the H7 kits. I think the reversed metal holder is only for the H11 ones? Anyone else care to ask them as well?

Quick Reply: Morimoto HID Kit Install & Review Thread. Pics and Lots of Reading!