Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Need to paint a part - what's the name?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to paint a part - what's the name?

My black SRT 6 roadster needs to have the rectangular plate that the spoiler mounts to pained. It's slightly oxidized, possibly beyond fixing with a buffer. What is the name of this piece and how do I get it off? Any help would be great. I can't seem to find my answer. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Need to paint a part--what's the name?

I think you are speaking of the wing MOUNTING PLATE. I don't own a roadster to know for sure, but I would think it is not much different than the coupe. The coupe unbolts from the underside. Remove your trunk liner and see what you find. And remember when going back, be sure to properly reseal the mounting plate to prevent water from entering. Also you will notice orings on the wing studs when your remove the wing from the plate. Be sure they are back in place when going back together.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: Need to paint a part--what's the name?

Originally Posted by bhahlbeck
My black SRT 6 roadster needs to have the rectangular plate that the spoiler mounts to pained. It's slightly oxidized, possibly beyond fixing with a buffer. What is the name of this piece and how do I get it off? Any help would be great. I can't seem to find my answer. Thanks!
Part number and name, 1BX71TZZAB, Spoiler Base plate SRT6, (roadster) from the parts list.

I'm basing these instructions on the removal of the plate on the coupe.

To take it off, remove the trim on the inside, the trim on the coupe has a handle to grab the deck lid, and you have to pop a plug in this and remove a hidden screw. Remove the four nuts that hold the wing. Then remove the nuts (8?) that hold the panel on. You could take off the plate with the wing attached but that is awkward to handle.

You can see the parts in the 2005 parts list in the SRT6 forum.

I'm not sure what the repair manual shows.

On assembly be careful that you get the seal correct or you will have leaks. You will see if any leaks are occurring now if there are water stains inside the seal.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Default Re: Need to paint a part - what's the name?

Bump...spoiler will not pull off. All 4 bolts are removed. Do I need to REALLY pull?!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 PM

Bump...spoiler will not pull off. All 4 bolts are removed. Do I need to REALLY pull?!
This has an O-ring around each bolt from the factory on the coupe and is probably the same on the roadster. If this trunk leaked in the past some mis-guided sole may have used a silicone caulk on it and thereby glued it to the panel. If so it will be a beetch to remove, it maybe glued forever.

No insult meant, but you have removed the four nuts that are hidden and not the four nuts that you see on the surface? I am assuming the roadster is similar to the coupe.

To refinish the clear coat I would try a swirl remover or paint cleaner from Meguiars or similar, these are abrasive, not a polish, I doubt that the finish needs a paint job, elbow grease works wonders. Mike in Orange is the main man here on such problems. That black finish is very hard and all the surface needs is a good cleaning would be my guess.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-25-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:46 PM

Thanks. The plate has to come off with the spoiler. Then there are two torx screws that hold the spoiler to the plate. Finally got it off. Now for the shocking news...

The paint is cracked and the fiberglass is expossed so all paint will need to be striped, sanded, primed and then painted. Cost...$200. If I ever let this thing go, the future owner will be a lucky man.

I'm now nearing perfection however, so I'm happy. I still think the price on the paint is high though. Really high. It better look factory perfect when done for that price.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks. The plate has to come off with the spoiler. Then there are two torx screws that hold the spoiler to the plate. Finally got it off. Now for the shocking news...

The paint is cracked and the fiberglass is expossed so all paint will need to be striped, sanded, primed and then painted. Cost...$200. If I ever let this thing go, the future owner will be a lucky man.

I'm now nearing perfection however, so I'm happy. I still think the price on the paint is high though. Really high. It better look factory perfect when done for that price.
$200 I thought was cheap.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
$200 I thought was cheap.
Made my night!