Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Recommend me some HID kits!

Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me some HID kits!

Want to upgrade my Aero blue baby with an HID kit. I'm looking at this, pricey but I heard lots of cheap HID stuff is out there and to be wary of all that. Should I take the plunge or do you guys recommend something else?

Fusion AC-Max HID Xenon Conversion Kit - H7 Bulb Type (Pair)

Old 11-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Recommend me some HID kits!

Think several members are running the cheap Ebay Xentec digital ballast versions without any complaints. Mine are working great since.. umm.. January I do believe..

Big write ups on HID's here on the forum.. the latest versions from Ebay don't seem to have the rubber gromet on the bulb wiring.. closest thing to an "issue".. but 12 bucks will buy a set of bulbs that does have them if you don't want to come up with something to seal off the wires..

Old 11-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too use Xentec kits in my cars and while they work great, I have had to replce a bulb or ballast here or there (I have all three cars converted). My gripe with the expensive ones like you posted is that it has a 1 year warranty and looks nearly identicle to the kit I paid $32 shipped to get.

I bought this $32 kit and one of the bulbs quit working in two days, kind of a pain in the butt because I had to pull everything apart again, but they have 2 year warranties and the seller did not hesitate to send me a second full kit, so I replaced one ballast and now have an extra ballast and 2 extra bulbs, still with 2 year coverage, all for $32. If you don;t mind messing with them every once in a while, get the cheap ones, but if it is a daily driver and you don't like messing with stuff, maybe try a more expensive kit, even though I am not convinced they aren't made in the same factory

Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been meaning to ask, my Xentec ballasts fail to fire some times. Its not the same one every time and it is only every once in a while. If I turn off the lights and then back on it will fire. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a mccoulough kit that would not fire all the time. It progressively got worse until the ballast failed.
It was 4 years old when it started happening.
Double check for secure wiring. Also if it is being triggered via relay test the relay or swap to other side and see if condition moves.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have Xentec 4300K kits that i have have basically no complaints with. A couple of bulbs burnt out at first, but the seller happily replaced. I would like to upgrade maybe to Morimotos if I found a good deal. What is the best way seal off the wires? Mine are just holes and I'm afraid moisture is getting in.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by smokey847
. What is the best way seal off the wires? Mine are just holes and I'm afraid moisture is getting in.
Spend 12 bucks for new bulbs that have the grommet? Has crossed my mind.. LOL. I currently have a "plug" made from about 1/2" thick foam rubber I slit the sides on to fit the wires into and pushed into my hole in the rubber cap. So far so good with it.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokey847
I too have Xentec 4300K kits that i have have basically no complaints with. A couple of bulbs burnt out at first, but the seller happily replaced. I would like to upgrade maybe to Morimotos if I found a good deal. What is the best way seal off the wires? Mine are just holes and I'm afraid moisture is getting in.
Use some butyl rubber tape, commonly referring to as dum-dum. I used it to seal the HID kit in my Saab with great success. It is basically strips of pliable butyl rubber that you can wrap around your wires and use to seal the hole in the caps but it will not get brittle, it will stay pliable. Since our headlights are vented, as long as you are not getting moisture now, you would probably be fine, but this stuf will do the trick. Available at any auto parts store, probably with the 3m adhesives and tapes...