Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Exterior door handle

Old 06-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior door handle

Can someone tell me what is connected to the inside of the EXTERIOR door handle ...mine no longer opens the door even though the door is unlocked ..... do l need to take door panel off to trouble shoot this ? Is it a cable or rod that has fallen off ..? Any help appreciated as it's a pain opening drivers door from the passengers side...

Old 06-22-2018, 10:48 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Exterior door handle

Originally Posted by White Thunder
Can someone tell me what is connected to the inside of the EXTERIOR door handle ...mine no longer opens the door even though the door is unlocked ..... do l need to take door panel off to trouble shoot this ? Is it a cable or rod that has fallen off ..? Any help appreciated as it's a pain opening drivers door from the passengers side...
There is a cable connecting the lock to the handle.
You can see it in theses PDFs.

CLICK
CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-22-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:19 PM

Yes l can see the cable....so lm thinking that the cable is properly off the handle. ...so now lm thinking do l need to take the inner door panel off.l see a tread where the door handle can be removed without doing that ....so lm assuming that the cable can be taken off and back on with door panel on ....would l be correct ?

Old 06-23-2018, 05:57 PM

Yes l can see the cable....so lm thinking that the cable is properly off the handle. ...so now lm thinking do l need to take the inner door panel off.l see a tread where the door handle can be removed without doing that ....so lm assuming that the cable can be taken off and back on with door panel on ....would l be correct ?
The cable is attached to the door lock mechanism and does not come off with the exterior door handle. The cable is attached to the door lock mechanism and the interior lock handle.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:27 PM

Ok great ...tomorrow is a rain day so that's my job ...thanks for your input ...got my fingers crossed that it's something simple ..

Old 06-24-2018, 09:56 PM

So l took the door panel off ..by the looks of it somebody has been there before ....so what l discovered is that there is a gap in between the handle lever and the lock....appone closer look l find a white piece of hard foam ....look like it fell out of something ....l put it in between the gap and tried the handle .......it looks like it fit in there ....tryed opening the door from outside .....it after a couple of try,s works .....so is this factory ?? I need to find a replacement ....

Old 06-25-2018, 08:55 AM

So l took the door panel off ..by the looks of it somebody has been there before ....so what l discovered is that there is a gap in between the handle lever and the lock....appone closer look l find a white piece of hard foam ....look like it fell out of something ....l put it in between the gap and tried the handle .......it looks like it fit in there ....tryed opening the door from outside .....it after a couple of try,s works .....so is this factory ?? I need to find a replacement ....
A photo would be the best way to show what you are describing.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:07 AM

l have a couple of pics , how can l upload them to my response?? I'm new to this so bear with me.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:19 AM

l have a couple of pics , how can l upload them to my response?? I'm new to this so bear with me.
You go to the bottom of the page you opened to post and reply, find Attach Files and click on Manage Attachments and select your photo on your computer.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:31 AM

I don't see that on my screen is it possible that l haven't reach a certain amount of posts as to permit me to post photos ??

Old 06-25-2018, 11:09 AM

I don't see that on my screen is it possible that l haven't reach a certain amount of posts as to permit me to post photos ??
No, hit quote in this post and look under Additional Options.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
No, hit quote in this post and look under Additional Options.
sorry onehundred80 l did just as you said and there is no" additional option " what am l doing wrong ? Love to post these pictures ... The links for door panel removal was great... love to pay it forward and ad mine pics for other members on this issue ..

Old 06-27-2018, 03:37 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

Hit "Quote" on the R/H side and then click on the paperclip icon. It should open a box where you can select the photos from your computer.