TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

exterior door handle removal EASY 2 screws

Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exterior door handle removal EASY 2 screws

I had searched for a thread on how to remove the exterior door handle and had no luck. I found this thread from BenzWorld that has a very easy straight forward write up and wanted to share. You don't even have to remove the door panel. I removed both the driver and passanger door handles tonight in 15 minutes.

You have to remove a gromet and pull the weather stripping down from the door and move the rubber piece that is at the base of the window up to access the 4 mm screws, but don't need to remove the interior door panel if you are just trying to remove the exterior door handle. Note that the passenger side handle installation/removal 4 mm screw is reverse (left handed) threads.

Door panel and lock/latch assy removal - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

I attached the three attachments from Bazzle's write up. I get a kick working on our xfires and how technically specific they are compared to all the other cars I've owned.

Hope this helps someone out there sometime.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Door%20handle%20removal%201.jpg (118.0 KB, 621 views)
Door%20handle%20removal%201a.jpg (128.6 KB, 457 views)
Door%20handle%20removal%201b.jpg (106.7 KB, 372 views)
Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: exterior door handle removal EASY 2 screws

Thanks for posting this, will be doing this asap. cheers

Old 10-18-2014, 03:48 PM

On my passenger side door there is no head on the screw and looks like it was broke. So how do I get the door handle off once I remove the door panel?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by matth189
On my passenger side door there is no head on the screw and looks like it was broke. So how do I get the door handle off once I remove the door panel?
If it is the interior door pull you are referring to, you do not need to remove the door panel. the door pull is a 2 piece assembly. Carefully remove the out shell and this gives your access to the two screws holing the inner shell. the 2 screws are TORX heads. remove them and pull the handle out. You got off cheep if you broke the passenger side. The driver's side pull cost me almost 300 dollars.

Good Luck.

Mike

Old 10-21-2014, 07:29 PM
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ITF36059
If it is the interior door pull you are referring to, you do not need to remove the door panel. the door pull is a 2 piece assembly. Carefully remove the out shell and this gives your access to the two screws holing the inner shell. the 2 screws are TORX heads. remove them and pull the handle out. You got off cheep if you broke the passenger side. The driver's side pull cost me almost 300 dollars.

Good Luck.

Mike
My driver side door pull broke off a while back and it cost me about $5!
There is an amazing DIY fix on here that fixes the door handle and makes it 10 times more durable while looking 100% stock. You would never even guess there was something done to it! It is always a good idea to use the search function before forging over lots of money.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwe21
My driver side door pull broke off a while back and it cost me about $5!
There is an amazing DIY fix on here that fixes the door handle and makes it 10 times more durable while looking 100% stock. You would never even guess there was something done to it! It is always a good idea to use the search function before forging over lots of money.
I just replaced my speakers and hooked the door handle up, the best I could but it's not opening the door from the inside.

Does this DIY fix help me and if so, where is it located. Thanks in advance.

Mobile

Old 01-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by mobilefitt
I just replaced my speakers and hooked the door handle up, the best I could but it's not opening the door from the inside.

Does this DIY fix help me and if so, where is it located. Thanks in advance.

Mobile
Beside clipping the end of the door pull cable into the white clip, the end of the outer cable has to go into a pocket to keep the outer cable in place while the inner cable pulls the lock release. It is just like your ten speed bikes brakes in that regard.
See picture #8 in this PDF.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-11-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so when i removed my door handles to be painted both of the allen key screws that hold the handles in place fell into my door panel does anyone know if or where i would be able to buy new ones?

Old 09-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by gblack32
so when i removed my door handles to be painted both of the allen key screws that hold the handles in place fell into my door panel does anyone know if or where i would be able to buy new ones?
Try The Home Depot or Lowes or some such place, go to the screw area and look in the metric fastener display carousel.
Take the handle with you, but don't drop it as well.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
I had searched for a thread on how to remove the exterior door handle and had no luck. I found this thread from BenzWorld that has a very easy straight forward write up and wanted to share. You don't even have to remove the door panel. I removed both the driver and passanger door handles tonight in 15 minutes.

You have to remove a gromet and pull the weather stripping down from the door and move the rubber piece that is at the base of the window up to access the 4 mm screws, but don't need to remove the interior door panel if you are just trying to remove the exterior door handle. Note that the passenger side handle installation/removal 4 mm screw is reverse (left handed) threads.

Door panel and lock/latch assy removal - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

I attached the three attachments from Bazzle's write up. I get a kick working on our xfires and how technically specific they are compared to all the other cars I've owned.

Hope this helps someone out there sometime.
Hello! I know this thread is old but i took off my door handle, but when i was turning screw #7 in the diagram i think i turned it too far and now it wont tighten back up....did i dislodge the spring or break it? I dont know very much at all about the Crossfire atm and i was hoping someone would help! Thanks!

Old 06-28-2020, 11:18 AM

Thank you, I fixed my driver outer handle with your info. I had to re-engage the spring metal to the handle. My hook tool was too thick so I used fishing line to pull it forward to catch the handle .All I know that it works, 0$ . Thank you again.
Raquel.

Last edited by Rgaskew; 06-28-2020 at 11:44 AM.