Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Red Dog's SRT6 Coupe two-tone re-paint

Old 04-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

I like how in direst sun it looks like it gives off a hint of a greenish color. Like how the ssb it the right light has a bluish tint.
Good Choice.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Red Dog's SRT6 Coupe two-tone re-paint

Awesome color choice Red Dog. It's gonna stand out for sure. Squirrel Crusher

Old 05-21-2019, 04:42 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I've got too many Crossfire projects going but I HAD TO make time to work on my SRT6 Coupe. We need to take this one to Eureka Springs . . . Crossfire Fun in the Ozarks (Round 4) in a few short weeks! In the last few days I removed the intake manifolds and the valve covers / glass beaded everything in preparation for powder coating. I installed the new headliner (Alcantara Suede).

I'm having the A pilar covers and all the rear upper trim covers done in slightly darker (than the headliner) alcantara suede matching the bulkhead cover that I did a few years ago.

I changed out power steering cooler lines as the first step to installing the Needswings DCAI system and catch can. I installed HID conversion kits for the low beams, high beams and fog lights then yesterday I reinstalled the front bumper. Today I pinstriped both doors (the pin striping is reflective!) so I could reinstall the side view mirrors with their new turn signal mirror kit.

I'm starting to feel confident that I'll have it ready in time . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 05-21-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Thanks for the update.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 05-21-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:20 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

I’m anxious to see it.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like this a lot... looking forward to seeing down the road...….Carl

Old 05-28-2019, 07:10 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

~ super cool red dog! looking forward to the completed assembly. i like that you're doing something different and i actually like two tone cars.

it would be cool to see what chip foose could do with a crossfire and his imagination regarding design.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That is looking great

Old 08-20-2019, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAT???? I just read through this whole thread, anticipating the finished pics at the end, with all of the mods. Hahahaha! Where are the pics?
I feel like I just read a mystery novel and just as the bad guy was to be revealed, someone stole the last few pages of my book!
Red Dog- are the pics on another thread? It was looking really good and I now need closure.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:21 PM
Talking Re: Red Dog's SRT6 Coupe two-tone re-paint

Thanks for your interest . . .

It's still a work in progress . . . I had significant issues with trying to use reflective pin striping tape. I started to do some of it myself but was not totally happy with the results so pulled it off, ordered more material and had it done professionally. The installer was so proud of the results that he took a video of the whole car when he had completed the installation (see attached as I could not put the video in the body of this post). It looked great when first completed. Then the very next day it became the disaster you see in the photos below. Using reflective tape is just not going to work. Reflective tape cannot be stretched as it breaks down the reflective elements of the tape. For example, if you lay it down and it's a bit "off", when you pull it back up to reposition it, the tape gets stretched. Also trying to do tight curves stretches the tape. I have to abandon the reflective tape and be satisfied with standard 3M vinyl pin striping tape. Ordering all new pin striping material tomorrow.

Also I had a bit of a delay because I decided to have all the plastic interior trim panels (A pillar covers / those large curved rear upper trim panels / tailgate trim panels) covered in grey alcantara suede. They really turned out great but I still don't have everything reinstalled. I hope to have those interior panels finished in the coming days and I will be anxious to share photos here.

Lastly, after having my stock OEM SRT6 wheels completely refurbished a few months ago, I recently decided to replace them with Mandrus Millenium Hyper Silver with mirror cut lip wheels and new Pirelli P-Zero tires (19 x 9.5 rear wheels with P285 30R 19 rear tires and 18 x 8.5 front wheels with P225 40ZR 18 front tires). This is the same wheel and tire set up that I have on my SSB SRT6 roadster . . .

The new rear wheels and all the tires are here already but the new front wheels were delayed and are due to be delivered here this Friday. I'll post more photos in the coming weeks. As I intend to take this two-tone SRT6 coupe to the fall Tail of the Dragon, I NEED TO get it finished in the next couple of weeks.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8243.MOV (3.12 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by RED DOG; 09-02-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bob I like the way you think ! it look great ! Hope Susan and I have chance to see it this Fall , ( still working on getting to the Dragon but if stars line up , we may have chance , LOL )

Old 08-26-2019, 03:36 PM

So . . . I had a day off work today and spent the day in therapy . . . My therapy is working on the fleet. Today I was working on the two-tone SRT6 coupe. I had the new Pirelli PZero tires mounted and balanced on the Mandrus Millenium wheels a few days ago. Today I installed them on the car. I still have to re-do the pin striping and the new pin striping tape was delivered today. The pin striping problem doesn't really show up in these photos . . . When the pin striping is re-done, the exterior of the car will be complete except for the rear diffusers that will be coming from Germany. Still quite a bit of work to do on the interior . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 08-26-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:59 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Bob, that is a work of art, it needs to live in one of these and never touched, just admired :

Old 08-26-2019, 09:34 PM

Red Dog- It looks awesome! The new color scheme gives a whole new allure to the car!! It accentuates the body lines and style. The wheels and tires look great!!
You might think about 2 different options for the pinstriping. 1. Have it professionally pinstriped with paint. It's not that expensive and much less to have issues down the road. The second option is less expensive. 2. They make a pinstriping tape (carried at auto paint stores) that you apply as a 1" wide strip (or different sizes) that is serrated on the whole length in 1/8" strips. You apply the full tape then remove the serrated strips where you want the pinstriping. You then paint whatever color pinstripe into the area that you removed, with the remaining tape being your masking and borders. You don't have to be a professional pinstriping and as long as the tape is laid flat and secured, the paint won't go outside of the borders. When you are done, you remove the tape and the painted pinstripes remain permanently.
With either of these 2 options, you never have to worry about the stripes coming off, peeling, etc. down the road.
Just a thought.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:39 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Just 2 words Bob.....

BEAUTIFUL & AWESOME !!!!

Old 08-27-2019, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Lastly, after having my stock OEM SRT6 wheels completely refurbished a few months ago, I recently decided to replace them with Mandrus Millenium Hyper Silver with mirror cut lip wheels and new Pirelli P-Zero tires (19 x 9.5 rear wheels with P285 30R 19 rear tires and 18 x 8.5 front wheels with P225 40ZR 18 front tires). This is the same wheel and tire set up that I have on my SSB SRT6 roadster . . .

The new rear wheels and all the tires are here already but the new front wheels were delayed and are due to be delivered here this Friday. I'll post more photos in the coming weeks. As I intend to take this two-tone SRT6 coupe to the fall Tail of the Dragon, I NEED TO get it finished in the next couple of weeks.
So what is the offset on the wheels, Bob? Spacers req'd?

Any the new paint job on the SRT-6 Coupe really POPS!!!!!

Last edited by dedwards0323; 08-27-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
So what is the offset on the wheels, Bob? Spacers req'd?

Any the new paint job on the SRT-6 Coupe really POPS!!!!!
No spacers required. Mandrus wheels are designed to fit Mercedes cars perfectly. The specs for the Mandrus Millenium model wheels that I have purchased (wider wheels than stock) are:

Front 18" x 8.5" 5 x 112 offset +32

Rear 19" x 9.5" 5 x 112 offset +25

Note that other Mandrus wheel styles in the Mandrus line may use different specs. Their website is very helpful in finding the correct wheel for your Crossfire (but enter your car as a SLK320 or SLK32 AMG).

IMPORTANT: Also note that the Mandrus Millenium wheels require shorter lug bolts. 24mm thread length instead of 28mm thread length. Installing with longer lug bolts WILL cause damage to your car!

Last edited by RED DOG; 08-28-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:49 AM

Starting to get some of the interior back together. Here are photos of the A pillar covers with the grey alcantara suede covering.

I also had all the rear upper trim panels covered in the same grey alcantara suede. Those large curved rear panels are a B**** to re-install. I've ordered some special clips that should make it easier. More photos when the interior is all back together.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Starting to get some of the interior back together. Here are photos of the A pillar covers with the grey alcantara suede covering.

I also had all the rear upper trim panels covered in the same grey alcantara suede. Those large curved rear panels are a B**** to re-install. I've ordered some special clips that should make it easier. More photos when the interior is all back together.
When I had the headliner recovered by the upholstery shop I use, I ended up going back to him to get those rear trim panels secured. I fooled with them for probably 90 minutes. Took him all of 10 minutes for both. Geez!!!

Thanks for the update Bob. Keep them coming! Car is really taking shape - should be a stunner!

Old 09-03-2019, 02:38 PM

Fantastic brother-what a project!

Saw all the pictures, sure looks great 👍