Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Roadster Trunk Light operation vs Coupe

Old 07-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Roadster Trunk Light operation vs Coupe

I have looked a lot and from what I can find , don't think this has been asked. I want to add extra lighting in my roadster in the trunk and the foot well areas of the cabin. I downloaded the Act 1 and Act 2 from onehundred80 about the LED upgrade as I am trying to keep the car pure. Decided to go ahead and did some more research. 180 tells me he tied his foot well lights in to the rear cabin area, as it lights up when the doors are opened or the map light turns on. The roadster is wired differently. The trunk light comes on ONLY when the trunk lid is opened. I have confirmed this with my camera phone video and confirm light is on/off with lid and does not come on with door opening or map light. Not putting foot well lights in for show, but for function. Any knowledge about tying new feeds to 2 new foot well lights into the map/door light circuit and where to pick that circuit up?

Thanks

Old 07-17-2019, 05:26 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Re: Roadster Trunk Light operation vs Coupe

Originally Posted by Johnny Versatile
I have looked a lot and from what I can find , don't think this has been asked. I want to add extra lighting in my roadster in the trunk and the foot well areas of the cabin. I downloaded the Act 1 and Act 2 from onehundred80 about the LED upgrade as I am trying to keep the car pure. Decided to go ahead and did some more research. 180 tells me he tied his foot well lights in to the rear cabin area, as it lights up when the doors are opened or the map light turns on. The roadster is wired differently. The trunk light comes on ONLY when the trunk lid is opened. I have confirmed this with my camera phone video and confirm light is on/off with lid and does not come on with door opening or map light. Not putting foot well lights in for show, but for function. Any knowledge about tying new feeds to 2 new foot well lights into the map/door light circuit and where to pick that circuit up?

Thanks
The power to the map light goes up behind the A pillar trim, driver side I think.
Tap into it somewhere convenient.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:11 PM

I don't think it is that simple. It is not just a matter of tapping in some where bit's the right somewhere. I had the map light switch apart today as I put in LED's. There is a 4 wire feed to the switch. I suspect this switch will carry a steady positive feed, as well as a feed for the slider switch, and the passenger door switch, as well as a ground. The wire I need to tap into has to be the right one or the "new" lights will not activate properly. They have to get the feed from all sources, each door and map light switch, at the correct time for it to work properly. I don't want to start poking at wiring with a "let's try this" take on things. Does anyone know for sure what will work? There are these "computers" that run things which concern me.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:37 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Versatile
I don't think it is that simple. It is not just a matter of tapping in some where bit's the right somewhere. I had the map light switch apart today as I put in LED's. There is a 4 wire feed to the switch. I suspect this switch will carry a steady positive feed, as well as a feed for the slider switch, and the passenger door switch, as well as a ground. The wire I need to tap into has to be the right one or the "new" lights will not activate properly. They have to get the feed from all sources, each door and map light switch, at the correct time for it to work properly. I don't want to start poking at wiring with a "let's try this" take on things. Does anyone know for sure what will work? There are these "computers" that run things which concern me.
One wire feeds the bulb when you open a door and that is the one you want.
The Service Manual will have the circuit diagram and tell you the colour, quite simple.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the added input. I looked the situation over again carefully today on the A pillars and again removed the map light component. Also talked to my brother who is a smart mechanic as well. Looks do able for sure. My brother suggested the service manual circuit diagramis the place to start and he has necessary testing equipment. Looks like I will have enough room to do a splice in the map light module area and then run a feeder line down each pillar to feed the new lighting. I feel good enough about it now to order the parts for both the trunk LED's and the cabin ones. I'll post a how to for the roadster with a bunch of pictures when I do it. Probably by the fall.