Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

new paint job

Old 12-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new paint job

Hi, i was wondering how much it would cost to paint my crossfire black?

Old 12-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: new paint job

Originally Posted by dk333
That's a local yellow pages question...Cost varies greatly dependent on location, shop, paint quality, etc...

Old 12-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a good job costs somewhere in the vicinity of $2500, +/- $500.

just out of curiosity... how come?

Old 12-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dk333
changing colors is very involved and labor intensive. this is not something i would recommend. you have to be concerned with painting all jamb areas...engine walls/compartment...etc. it's endless unless you completely disassemble the car down to the shell to do it correctly. this cost could be 7k. but to do it half as* (imo)...maybe 2 - 3k.

i would purchase another crossfire (black) before changing the paint color on a current crossfire. the change of color will also kill any value a crossfire in its factory color would have (which isn't much).

Old 12-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Forum Regular

The factory Crossfire paint job is so good (no orange peel, excellent finish, durable paint) that a respray of similar quality is going to be hard to accomplish for reasonable money. IMO, it would be cheaper in the long run to trade your Crossfire for a black one of similar age and mileage.

Also, consider that black may look great when it is clean and waxed. Keeping it like that is a serious pain. I love my black coupe, but I don't think I will own another black car.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have no damage now and want your jambs done, and skipping the engine bay. You are looking at $5,000 to start.
Call around but look and see if it is the quality you want...

Old 12-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Forum Regular

I also thought of a nice dark blue or green (like british racing green ). Asked around ... Here I would have to pay around $2,000 for a simple overspray. But that is bad quality. And about $6,300 for a professional job!

Far too much for a "sudden inspiration"...

Old 12-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Time = $$$$
Quality = Time
Simple math.
Seriously, most people have no idea how much prep work is involved in a professional job.
If you look at the workmanship and say "hey, that's not bad" then it is not good either...

Old 12-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stryfox
Time = $$$$
Quality = Time
Simple math.
Seriously, most people have no idea how much prep work is involved in a professional job.
If you look at the workmanship and say "hey, that's not bad" then it is not good either...
You are 100% correct... and a top notch shop will remove windows and trim instead of trying to paint around them which = even more $$$.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:51 AM

If you have a BLACK crossfire and think the paint is of high quality please post it. My black limited has the worst paint quality I have seen and 3 out of my 5 last cars have been chrysler. No probs with them.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by roms33
If you have a BLACK crossfire and think the paint is of high quality please post it. My black limited has the worst paint quality I have seen and 3 out of my 5 last cars have been chrysler. No probs with them.
Here's a photo of my car. Unfortunately, other photos are impossible to take at the moment, as it is cold here and the car is in storage. But perhaps you can see the smoothness of the finish.

I would imagine that paint quality (like any other manufacturing item) is affected by environmental and production variables. If you have orange peel or otherwise poor quality paint, it could be the result of several things (i.e. I imagine ambient temperature, clean/ replacement of spray nozzles, incoming solvent/ paint quality from vendors, humidity, %solvent/ %paint mix, curing time & temperature, etc could all have an effect). Automakers strive to document and rigorously control any source of variance in the production process, but they can never really eliminate it.

Judging paint quality is subjective, too. Compared to the other cars that I have owned, my Crossfire has sublime paint quality. To my eyes, it looks ten feet deep, with no orange peel and no other visible defects. But, based on what you've owned previous, you may feel differently. I am sure that the Crossfire's finish looks much better parked next to a new Mazda, than say, a new Audi A8.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crossfirefront2.jpg (129.0 KB, 204 views)
Old 12-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I would of also liked to see a nice navy blue with a dark tan/black interior. A 350Z blue would be nice as well. Juddz, your car looks very nice. I always preferred black to my SSB.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:57 PM

Just keep in mind, anytime you repaint a car, you're dropping it's resale value.

If you go to trade it in, a dealer is going to knock money off because it's a repaint. Even if it's repainted the same color as original. A changed color...not good.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by juddz
That's not bad. The look of the paint is not bad either but it seems very soft. Also when I got my car, it was just waxed as time went on I noticed swirl marks.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by juddz
The factory Crossfire paint job is so good (no orange peel, excellent finish, durable paint) that a respray of similar quality is going to be hard to accomplish for reasonable money. IMO, it would be cheaper in the long run to trade your Crossfire for a black one of similar age and mileage.

Also, consider that black may look great when it is clean and waxed. Keeping it like that is a serious pain. I love my black coupe, but I don't think I will own another black car.
ha ha ha. After 17 years with black paint I too vowed to never again have a black car. So I got a white one, my next car will be dirt brown.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have noticed that the SSB has a very hard clearcoat, as evidence by the lack of swirl removal ability of my polisher without using aggressive pads.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irafatsar
ha ha ha. After 17 years with black paint I too vowed to never again have a black car. So I got a white one, my next car will be dirt brown.
Now that's funny! You ought to use that as a signature file.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Forum Regular

Or better yet next time I test drive a car, I will take it home and have the wife wash it to see how long it takes and how hard the rims are to clean. This crossfire is like a thomas english muffin with all its nooks and cranny's for the dirt to hide in.