General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Toyota mess

Old 02-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Toyota mess

Originally Posted by 70GT6
Only thing I have to disagree about is the recalls - this is the first of one of this scale.
Toyota has a large amount of recalls.
Air bags, transfer cases, cruise controll, brakes, drivetrain, ball joints, master cylinders.
And I only checked 1 model year and 4 models.
Does not sound better than any other manufacturer.
Service campaigns are not recalls....Toyota has a lot of service campaigns I will give you that. But Service Campaigns are issued by the manufacture not by the NHTSA

Old 02-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They just showed how to fix the pedal on the wavy 10 news....looks like a 5 min job...take the pedal off pry the back cover off it insert the shim and put the cover back on and install the pedal......I see missing shims in some cars future lol

Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT
Service campaigns are not recalls....Toyota has a lot of service campaigns I will give you that. But Service Campaigns are issued by the manufacture not by the NHTSA
Ok, the ones I found are on the NHTSA.gov site under "recalls"

Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 70GT6
Ok, the ones I found are on the NHTSA.gov site under "recalls"
They call everything a recall on that site. LOL....anyway, my Bimmer is driving fine with out any issues so I am happy. And I cant wait for spring since I get to keep my Crossfire now

Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 AM

TOKYO – Toyota acknowledged that it has begun fixing problems with the brakes in its prized Prius, but remains undecided about a recall, adding to the catalog of safety woes — and muddled responses — at the Japanese automaker.

Ah no need for brakes toyota......the flintstones just use their feet!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Life is random...so am I.

They call everything a recall on that site.
You should consider a high paying job with Microsoft.

"Those aren't software bugs or glitches......they're value added features!"

Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are so many people in denial about this Toyota crap? they have had more recalls than any auto manufacture in the last couple of years. They are UGLY a## cars, the cars and the people that drive them are BORING as hell. Think about it, did you buy a Crossfire so you could have a car just to get you some where? They are not practical for very much. Or did you get it because you like the way it looks? and you realized that it's the journey not the destination. If you are so lame that you need a car that can park its self, maybe just maybe you should take a bus. Toyota is trying to sell us cars that will just get you there. You don't need to drive up highway 1 through Big Sur, just take the 5, so you will miss some trees and a view of the ocean from your roadster. please wake up, do some research, Toyota is trying to dumb us down. Just keep out of my way on highway 1.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:46 PM

hey with stuck gas pedals and brakes that dont work theres always a spot in nascar winners circle for the prius.......*shots self in head*

Old 02-04-2010, 02:25 PM

Im not saying its an american workmanship problem, im saying its a workmanship problem period. What happens is the pivot point housing inside the pedal assembly wears over time and causes the pedal to float internally in the housing. When that happens, the return spring can not overcome the force of the bind and the potentiometer in the pedal reads that the pedal is being pressed. The fix is a shim that firms up the return spring and the pivot point of the pedal. The Denso pedal looks completely different and does not wear at the same points as the CTS pedal. Maybe it was a bad design by CTS, maybe Toyota should have made more strict requirements..... know one knows for sure. But do I feel comfortable with my family driving an affected vehicle??? I do....more so than a GM that the power steering pump can lock up causing the engine to stall and have no steering control. But with that said, I wouldnt buy a Toyota newer than 2000 other than a 2007+ Tundra or Tacoma.
I understood it was a Toyota Supplied Design not a CTS design

Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never owned a Toy Yoda, and despite their reservations about admitting responsibility and recalling vehicles, I sense a potential conflict of interest. Should the owner of GM and Chrysler be able to force the recall of a competitor, or worse yet tell their owners to not drive and instead immediately return their cars? Meanwhile, the Government Motors offers 0% financing on new cars to Toy Yoda owners. Anyone sensing ensuing trade war?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

I wonder if the Japanese culture of not being able to blame someone in particular has anything to do with this mess of fixing the problem.
I have dealt with some Japanese companies and all decisions were made by a group, because of this we had to wait ages until a consensus was reached.
The decisions could not be made on the spot and had to go up the hierarchal ladder and back down again, this all took time. It appeared that nobody could make the decision on their own, share the glory and share any blame seemed to be their way of operating. Nobody would stick their neck out and make a decision, very frustrating.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes CTS made the gas peddle, who designed it, approved it, who drew it up? And what kind of a bull sh## excuse is it to say "it was from condensation"? And if it is from condensation, LOL is that the gas peddle's fault or the design of the car.
Within the last 3 months they have recalled 8,000,000+ cars and trucks wide. Is that just "bad luck"?

Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 PM

I think the brake issue is from condensation too.....wink wink

Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also - do not forget the programming.
Most manufactures have the smarts to have safety programming - push on the brake and the throttle at the same time and the brake has priority...not on these Toyotas.....

Now if you are on a bumpy road you cant stop your Prius....
Nice to know they fixed the problem on the production line but never made an attempt to fix the sold vehicles.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Forum Regular

All I know is that I wish I was a Toyota mechanic... Those guys are putting in overtime here in Texas, they're splitting in two shifts 6am - 2pm and 2pm to 10pm

Old 02-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A mess it is. I can't help to think that this media blitz is WAY overblown. Don't take me wrong, I understand the seriousness of Toyota's issue. But the media has completely overblown the situation just as they did the Audi sudden exhilaration, Jeep roll-overs, GM side tank explosions, Ford Explorers with Firestone tires, etc.

Meanwhile, Obama Motors is loving the additional sales that take away from Toyota and the diversion of media attention away from what's really going on in Washington.

just my 2 centavos.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
A mess it is. I can't help to think that this media blitz is WAY overblown. Don't take me wrong, I understand the seriousness of Toyota's issue. But the media has completely overblown the situation just as they did the Audi sudden exhilaration, Jeep roll-overs, GM side tank explosions, Ford Explorers with Firestone tires, etc.

Meanwhile, Obama Motors is loving the additional sales that take away from Toyota and the diversion of media attention away from what's really going on in Washington.

just my 2 centavos.
Audi sudden exhilaration is what you get when you put you foot down in the R8 that your wife just got you for your birthday.
And tying Obama into this story is a bit of a stretch.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 AM

That is correct.... those were NOT recalls. They were Service Campaigns. Service Campaigns are something the manufacture sends out notices for repair and was NOT mandated by the NHTSA. Ask anyone who works in a auto dealership what the difference is....and ask them how the media always portrays it. The media will never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Everyone always has there opinion about the situation.... and thats not going to change. Im not trying to change that but im just trying to help give out FACTS about it.
The accelerator pedal issue is NOT a failing sensor. its NOT caused by moisture. Im also not saying its CTS's fault but Denso got the same specs to build a pedal and 11 million cars are NOT affected by this recall that have Denso pedals.
As I stated before, with all the said, I still think Toyota's quality has gone to **** since 2000. The problem with all the auto manufacturers is that they change systems and technology to fast to keep up with consumer demand and it constantly adds new and complex systems for technicians to learn. I am not defending Toyota at all, they should have tested the CTS pedals before using them in so many vehicles. I hope it is just a problem with the Toyota ones because Honda, Mitsubishi, Ford and GM all use CTS pedals in a lot of their vehicles. This would crush the auto industry more so than before.

Thanks for reading and sorry if anyone gets upset with me, Im not here for that.
Now back to Crossfire specific threads for me
~Bryab

Old 02-07-2010, 11:38 AM

I fully understand the difference between a TSB and a NHTSA Mandated Recall.

Whether you want to classify this (NHTSA makes Toyota modify seat latch recall — Autoblog) as a TSB or recall I don't really care. This is just a classic example of the way Toyota behaves, and it's inexcusable.

Funny, though, how we don't see news articles about TSBs for everyone else, just Toyota. And I know everybody has them. Plenty of them.

Quick Reply: Toyota mess