General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Is .org dying a slow death?

Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 585 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Is .org dying a slow death?

Is this site going the way of crossfire community.net which locked up shop in December 2010?
If so how can it be saved? Or is it worth it?

Since this site changed hands it has got worse, photos are a pain to post and they do not automatically get resized, or maybe I do not know how to do it.

If this site dies is CICCI far behind, the UK forum is much more interesting.

Link to the crossfire community memorial. RIP
Crossfire Forums, Galleries - CrossfireCommunity.net

Old 11-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Is .org dying a slow death?

I think it is dying, but I also think there are too many people who love these machines to let it fully fade away.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please don't let it die just joined and new to crossfire.I need your ideas on how to fix this car.
Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
I think it is dying, but I also think there are too many people who love these machines to let it fully fade away.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you're onto something, Dave...

Worth clarifying that I don't think the site will "close up shop" as the revenue generating ads are alive and well. This site gets lots of traffic. But I know many of the long-time members seldom post here anymore. I think 2008 through mid-2011 was the sweet spot... There were new products being created, we were allowed to talk about anything and everything we wanted to without **** moderation, and we were at a peak of Crossfire ownership. Many of the folks who bought new in 2005 were still around, and that was also the point where Crossfires became financially attainable for nearly anyone that wanted one. Crossfire ownership and forum enthusiasm was at a peak.

In 2012, the car is now eight years old. The technology and driving dynamics we inherited were 1998-2000 technology, so it was an "old" car when Daimler gave it the refreshed sheet metal. We've come a long way in the auto biz in a decade. Courtesy of natural mortality and aided by Cash For Clunkers, the Crossfire prices have gone back up. Roadsters are still fetching $15,000, Coupes still in the low teens unless they've had a rough life.

So you've got a car with poor technology and low power (but great looks and handling/driving feel) priced comparably with other cars that have sat-nav, high-quality interiors, and huge aftermarket support. Pair that with the slow (but steady) exodus of Crossfire owners into other brands, and it's no wonder the site is gathering dust.

A personal axe to grind -- the owner of the forum (and some moderators who wish to remain anonymous) injected their censorship and told us that we were no longer allowed to discuss anything political (aka current events) -- anything with a political connection at all (and what isn't connected?) was deleted and you were "warned". So, what was a bunch of owners with a common interest sharing opinions on current affairs, turned into a bunch of owners with a common interest with noting new to discuss. We can only belabor the "intake mod of choice" so many times. The dissolving of the political forum sent many people packing. Traffic dropped noticeably after that, so you can't just say that it was a few grumpy old men. If we're only allowed to talk about a car whose issues were figured out five years ago, it keeps the discussion pool pretty shallow and it's hard to establish true relationships.

"I like Nitto tires"
"Me too"
"You like Nitto tires too?"
"Yup."
"Sweet!"

Sad to say, but aside from some free tech help in the form of blind guesses, this place offers nothing new to discuss. We can reheat leftover discussions about tires, oil filters, "can I supercharge a Limited" and so on... but many of the old farts (including me) simply have zero interest in beating that horse.

You guys are still family, but I spend a lot of time on other forums these days.

Nothing gold can stay.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm staying.. I've been here for a long time.
This forum has helped me with stuff and I have helped others along the way.
Maybe we should stop yelling do a search so the new guys can have something to talk about.
If they stick around long enough they will find the old post very helpfull.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My years of being on here , it always get a little slow about this time of the year , cold weather ,work pick up for me ( UPS ) just not alot time to post , and you will always get old going and new coming in , i still hit two to three times a day , but don;t always post ,

Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Received 585 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I think you're onto something, Dave...

Worth clarifying that I don't think the site will "close up shop" as the revenue generating ads are alive and well. This site gets lots of traffic. But I know many of the long-time members seldom post here anymore. I think 2008 through mid-2011 was the sweet spot... There were new products being created, we were allowed to talk about anything and everything we wanted to without **** moderation, and we were at a peak of Crossfire ownership. Many of the folks who bought new in 2005 were still around, and that was also the point where Crossfires became financially attainable for nearly anyone that wanted one. Crossfire ownership and forum enthusiasm was at a peak.

In 2012, the car is now eight years old. The technology and driving dynamics we inherited were 1998-2000 technology, so it was an "old" car when Daimler gave it the refreshed sheet metal. We've come a long way in the auto biz in a decade. Courtesy of natural mortality and aided by Cash For Clunkers, the Crossfire prices have gone back up. Roadsters are still fetching $15,000, Coupes still in the low teens unless they've had a rough life.

So you've got a car with poor technology and low power (but great looks and handling/driving feel) priced comparably with other cars that have sat-nav, high-quality interiors, and huge aftermarket support. Pair that with the slow (but steady) exodus of Crossfire owners into other brands, and it's no wonder the site is gathering dust.

A personal axe to grind -- the owner of the forum (and some moderators who wish to remain anonymous) injected their censorship and told us that we were no longer allowed to discuss anything political (aka current events) -- anything with a political connection at all (and what isn't connected?) was deleted and you were "warned". So, what was a bunch of owners with a common interest sharing opinions on current affairs, turned into a bunch of owners with a common interest with noting new to discuss. We can only belabor the "intake mod of choice" so many times. The dissolving of the political forum sent many people packing. Traffic dropped noticeably after that, so you can't just say that it was a few grumpy old men. If we're only allowed to talk about a car whose issues were figured out five years ago, it keeps the discussion pool pretty shallow and it's hard to establish true relationships.

"I like Nitto tires"
"Me too"
"You like Nitto tires too?"
"Yup."
"Sweet!"

Sad to say, but aside from some free tech help in the form of blind guesses, this place offers nothing new to discuss. We can reheat leftover discussions about tires, oil filters, "can I supercharge a Limited" and so on... but many of the old farts (including me) simply have zero interest in beating that horse.

You guys are still family, but I spend a lot of time on other forums these days.

Nothing gold can stay.
That sums it up pretty nicely.

I do not miss the political forum too much, it became a site for extremist views that I personally found scary at times.
With moderates shouted down by those with a bunker mentality, who displayed no empathy for those in less fortunate circumstances and all the while espousing Christian beliefs.

What a field day it would have been for that forum with the current uproar at the CIA. A mere chuckle in most of the world, but in the US ........

Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I do not miss the political forum too much, it became a site for extremist views that I personally found scary at times. With moderates shouted down by those with a bunker mentality, who displayed no empathy for those in less fortunate circumstances and all the while espousing Christian beliefs
Yes, and there was not a single inflammatory remark from the Liberal/Progressive crowd, ever.

My point was that the forum was there for those that wished to participate. It wasn't a place for those with thin skin, BUT there were many relationships that were formed even in disagreement. Nightrider comes to mind, and a few others. With no dog in the fight (either politically or religiously) it's no wonder some found it offensive. Yet, they were voyeurs nonetheless. Many of the whistle-blowers who allegedly hated the political forum haven't posted on a regular basis since its demise (radmanly, anyone?). Makes one wonder...

Again, that was my personal axe to grind. Nothing more. We have a racing forum on here, but only ~10% of members actively race. Those that wish not to race simply avoid that part of the forum. What a shocking concept

The facts remain -- traffic is down, our cars are older, and interest and enthusiasm has shifted to other brands. That's why the forum is coasting to a crawl. I can stay off the forum for 24 hours, and return only to find 1.5 pages of new posts. There was a time when such a hiatus would yield 4 pages of discussions.

I'm not going anywhere, but the forum is definitely "less than captivating" at the moment.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John are you trying to say that I'm not entertaining anymore?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Forum Regular

Forums like this do have a limited life span....just is. When the cars are new there's a lot of excitement but that can't continue as the cars age & people move on.
I was part of the PT Cruiser craze back when that car first appeared but rarely visit those forums any more...same questions getting asked all over again so there's really nothing to contribute that hasn't already come up.

Having said that, I'm new here & only bought a Crossfire recently because I ran across a smokin' deal. Always wanted one, but $$$ stood in my way.
Since I joined up I've found this forum to be a great resource. I've successfully identified and fixed issues using the information that I found here and that has been very satisfying. I've also made some new friends and been made to feel welcome. I suspect there are quite a few new owners like myself that are late to the game but just as enthusiastic as the "old timers" were when they first got their cars, and since the cars are older they need all the more help.

A few things I've been able to accomplish purely as a result of access to this forum:
Purchased and installed CAI, TB & catch can with the help of a member who offered to drive 2 hours to hang out in my driveway. THANKS BEANER!
Removed headlights, polished them up and got the upgraded seal kit installed
Found a bunch of photos to help me decide on the aftermarket grille style to buy
Traced factory stereo wiring to find out how badly the aftermarket head unit was hacked in....this is a work in progress!
Disassembled my fog lamps to fix the silver cap issue

And there's much more.
Without the info here I'd still be trying to figure out how to get the bottom 2 bolts out of my headlights!
I can't tell you folks how grateful I am, but I can tell you I plan on being around for a while and helping along any other new owners however I can. It's the community that really counts!

Old 11-14-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
John are you trying to say that I'm not entertaining anymore?
You've been weak in your trolling lately.

Originally Posted by Buck Spunni
Forums like this do have a limited life span....just is. When the cars are new there's a lot of excitement but that can't continue as the cars age & people move on.
I was part of the PT Cruiser craze back when that car first appeared but rarely visit those forums any more...same questions getting asked all over again so there's really nothing to contribute that hasn't already come up.

Having said that, I'm new here & only bought a Crossfire recently because I ran across a smokin' deal. Always wanted one, but $$$ stood in my way.
Since I joined up I've found this forum to be a great resource. I've successfully identified and fixed issues using the information that I found here and that has been very satisfying. I've also made some new friends and been made to feel welcome. I suspect there are quite a few new owners like myself that are late to the game but just as enthusiastic as the "old timers" were when they first got their cars, and since the cars are older they need all the more help.

A few things I've been able to accomplish purely as a result of access to this forum:
Purchased and installed CAI, TB & catch can with the help of a member who offered to drive 2 hours to hang out in my driveway. THANKS BEANER!
Removed headlights, polished them up and got the upgraded seal kit installed
Found a bunch of photos to help me decide on the aftermarket grille style to buy
Traced factory stereo wiring to find out how badly the aftermarket head unit was hacked in....this is a work in progress!
Disassembled my fog lamps to fix the silver cap issue

And there's much more.
Without the info here I'd still be trying to figure out how to get the bottom 2 bolts out of my headlights!
I can't tell you folks how grateful I am, but I can tell you I plan on being around for a while and helping along any other new owners however I can. It's the community that really counts!
Welcome to the forums! We're not going to abandon ya, we're just bitchy.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM

You've been weak in your trolling lately.
I've been busy on other forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:50 PM

You know... I totally miss Daria more than the crossfireforum.org forum. You know, that dry sarcastic cartoon that use to come on MTV? Wasn't it great?

Old 11-14-2012, 03:06 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

All I know is that I have made some great friendships from here that will last a lifetime.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Forum Regular

Welcome to the forums! We're not going to abandon ya, we're just bitchy.
I'm bitchy too, but that's only because I'm a Romulan trapped in a weak human body!
Well, maybe I'm bitchy 'cos my factory subs still don't work....

If any of you old timers want to just sit back & watch for a while, some of us newcomers can probably jump in so you're not constantly answering the same questions repeatedly. When we run out of ideas we can always take that long & winding road up to the top of the mountain to ask the guru who lives in up there in the Crossfire Cave the true meaning of a fault code.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Everything has a life cycle, and discussion on the forum has definitely slowed down a bit due to the car being out of production for five years and the fact that most if not all topics have already been addressed.

However, if you look at the attendance at meets, particularly the TOD, it's hard to think of .org as "dying". I think the newbies and us hard core orig owners will keep it going for quite awhile. I haven't seen another forum that has the camaraderie and passion for tech support of .org, including Porsche, Miata, Jeeps, etc...

Old 11-14-2012, 04:19 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by harbor
Everything has a life cycle, and discussion on the forum has definitely slowed down a bit due to the car being out of production for five years and the fact that most if not all topics have already been addressed.

However, if you look at the attendance at meets, particularly the TOD, it's hard to think of .org as "dying". I think the newbies and us hard core orig owners will keep it going for quite awhile. I haven't seen another forum that has the camaraderie and passion for tech support of .org, including Porsche, Miata, Jeeps, etc...
Totally agree Jim. Without this forum, none of our GTG would be as organized, and many of the friendships that have been developed over the years would have not happened. We will keep it going....

Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Forum Regular

I hope not, I don't plan on going anywhere for at least two years and I need the site to fix my car in the mean time, lol.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetb
Please don't let it die just joined and new to crossfire.I need your ideas on how to fix this car.
Start downloading and saving all of the information you can from this site now if you are afraid of it going away. As for me I'm staying.

Last edited by Larry Hitze; 11-14-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
Start downloading and saving all of the information you can from this site now if you are afraid of it going away.
Done and Done!!!

Quick Reply: Is .org dying a slow death?