General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Spare Tire

Old 04-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire

I am thinking about buying a 18" tire as a spare when I travel long distances, I have 18" on the front and 19" on the back. If I get a flat tire, will having an 18" and 19" on the back cause any issues?

Old 04-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Spare Tire

Originally Posted by dclark1979
I am thinking about buying a 18" tire as a spare when I travel long distances, I have 18" on the front and 19" on the back. If I get a flat tire, will having an 18" and 19" on the back cause any issues?
Other than looking funny. It shouldn't be a problem, I'm sure you've seen those people that drive that small donut spare (just reverse it...lol). BUT, don't be like my neighbor, an wait till you rotate'em before buying a new tire.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of us have pulled the open rear end out of our cars. Replacing it with WaveTrax Limited Slip. Then purchasing a donut wheel thru MB dealer or E-bay. Make SURE you get the special length lug bolts that comes with this wheel. Then purchase a Mickey Thompson skinny high speed front tire that's the same height as your rear tire if using the WaveTrax rear end. If your not figuring on driving fast and still have the factory rear end then the OEM donut tire should be fine. The 3 1/2" by 17" wheel will work on the front or back. Plus clear the SRT-6 big brakes. MB part number>2094000302 and MAKE SURE you only use the lug bolts that's made for that wheel. Squirrel Crusher

Old 04-13-2017, 09:16 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This tag is on my door jam.

ForumRunner_20170413_081045.png

I am on long drives every week in my fox, I got a better tpms system with a display so I can see exact pressure and temp in each tire.
And if I get a flat that will not air up, the worst that will happen is at night get a tow to a tire shop and a hotel for the night then next morning get a tire then back on the road.
Happened once, from a big pot hole that blew a nearly new 285 dsw
That was before the updated tpms.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Squirrel Crusher that one of the smaller temporary spares from a Mercedes is a good solution for those who want to carry a spare. I just want to add that there are additional options from MB relatives of the Crossfire, and going with one of the FOLDED temp spare tires on its special temp wheel seems even better to me than his suggestion for a mini racing tire. Since we all have the nice compressor which came with the car, anyway.

AND repeat that if you haven't changed to a limited slip differential, no problem with minor tire diameter mis-match. Which gives an option to use a smaller, lighter temp spare unit, like this MERCEDES W203 C230 C320 SPARE TIRE SPACE SAVER 2034012002 OEM WH4 | eBay The N/A Crossfire brakes will allow this 15 inch wheel to fit. If you have the SRT-6 you can go for the folded spare which was used on the R171 SLK, with a 16 inch wheel.

BUT heed Squirrel Crusher's warning about being sure to get the shorter lug bolts required with any of the temp spare wheels!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:01 AM

I found this listing today on Ebay for 01 02 03 04 MERCEDES C230 C240 SPARE TIRE WHEEL RIM 205/55R16 16" OEM - will this fit on our Crossfires?? Thank you.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by JohnGiaccio
I found this listing today on Ebay for 01 02 03 04 MERCEDES C230 C240 SPARE TIRE WHEEL RIM 205/55R16 16" OEM - will this fit on our Crossfires?? Thank you.

Hi John -

I think you must be pointing to this eBay listing, right? 01 02 03 04 MERCEDES C230 C240 SPARE TIRE WHEEL RIM 205/55R16 16" OEM | eBay

My suggestion is that you NOT go with this one, because it is a messed up example of what you could use. The one pictured in that eBay listing has the original Mercedes folding tire replaced by a regular tire which will take up much more space (and probably weigh more) than the folding temporary spare which Mercedes provided in some cars (including in some SLK siblings of Crossfire).

Much better choice could be #933 MERCEDES C230 COUPE 02-05 SPACE MASTER 15 SPARE WHEEL RIM TIRE 2034012002 | eBay Although you also need to note the warning on the temporary spare wheel (and in the earlier post by Squirrel Crusher) that the regular lug bolts are too long, and must be replaced when mounting this temporary wheel with the special shorter bolts which were supplied with the spare assembly when the Mercedes was new.

Also, as in my earlier post in this thread: these 15" wheels fit fine on N/A (Normally Aspirated) Crossfire, but not on SRT models with bigger brakes. The SRT requires a 16" version, as supplied on some second generation SLK cars, the R171.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:25 AM

Thank you for your reply. There is a salvage yard not far from me that has a spare tire from a 2004 CLK that will sell for $50.00. I was hoping this wheel will fit. Any ideas? Thanks, John

Old 06-29-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 392 Likes on 337 Posts

Thank you for your reply. There is a salvage yard not far from me that has a spare tire from a 2004 CLK that will sell for $50.00. I was hoping this wheel will fit. Any ideas? Thanks, John

ASK if they will let you fit the tire there, jack it up, replace it, and see if the wheel will freely turn before you purchase it. I would suggest you try it on the front and rear (given the differences in clearances/bolt length, and bolt face 'conical vs the spare rim'?). Good luck!

Old 06-29-2017, 03:25 PM

Thank you, that's a great idea.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:46 PM

If the spare wheel fits on the front, no worries about the rear. A lot more stuff going on behind those front wheels than the rears.

Although, if the bolts you use to mount the spare are too long, I think you might run into interference for those bolts faster on the rear. So make sure you pay attention to the bolt length and the seat shape (ball shape, not a cone like many others). With luck the parts yard might have the handy clear plastic bubble holder which the Mercedes shorter lug bolts were originally packaged in with the temp spare wheel when the car was new.

Good luck! And would you please come back and report what you learn? Particularly if you discover a different Mercedes spare works. With that please note that many used part sellers have listed these spare wheels as having the part number from one of the warning labels on the wheel, which cautions about using only the shorter lug bolts. The big number on that label is only for the label, not the wheel. So tell us the part number for the wheel - cast into the back.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:54 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

I've been driving 40 years as of this past March. In that time, just over 1,000,000 miles, I have had two tires deflate. Both times, I hit some metal in the road and it sliced the tire, I was done.

I've only driven the three Crossfires a total of 106,000 miles, two 2200 mile and one 3200 mile trip in there - never had a problem. I've had to plug two Crossfire tires due to pickup up nails or screws, but that's easy to handle, didnt even take the tire/wheel off the car the last time.

Are you SURE you want to sacrifice the space for a tire?

Old 06-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Received 556 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
ASK if they will let you fit the tire there, jack it up, replace it, and see if the wheel will freely turn before you purchase it. I would suggest you try it on the front and rear (given the differences in clearances/bolt length, and bolt face 'conical vs the spare rim'?). Good luck!

Conical? I was under the impression that Mercedes only used ball seats, lately anyway. The Crossfires seats are ball seats anyway. Mix them up and you have trouble.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It is 11:30pm here in MA. so I can't check for sure but I did what you want to do.
I bought a used spare tire on a rim from a 2005 MB C230 125/80/17. It just fits in the well/trunk of my 2004 N/A Coupe nicely. I also purchased a vinyl cover that goes over
it and the shorter bolts. With the cover on it you hardly see it. I got the tire from a yard in CA. for $70, plus S/H of $85.50 A little steep. I got the cover on line, I don't remember the cost for it or the bolts. If this is what you want, GO FOR IT. It works.
Bill T.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Received 392 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Conical? I was under the impression that Mercedes only used ball seats, lately anyway. The Crossfires seats are ball seats anyway. Mix them up and you have trouble.

Good catch! Thanks for fact-checking my post! Don't want anyone buying something based on misinformation. Given these spares are not OEM and listed for other MB/non spec'd vehicles, who knows what ppl will try to mount there for whatever reason. I have read scores of rim/tire posts where differing rims were mounted (some with spacers, some not), and sometimes ppl are finding out the wrong bolt/face/length tore expensive stuff up. The MAIN POINT is if the rim has conical or ball seats you MUST use the correct bolt head face in the correct LENGTH (if you believe these 'spares' are needed in your car).

Old 07-01-2017, 10:25 AM

Thanks, Bill, Ghost and 180. I am hoping to hit the salvage yard in the very near future. I have already ordered the short bolts from a link on this site. (thank you). The salvage yard that has a spare for a 2004 CLK is over 50 miles away. I do want to bring the car with me to test fit the spare, I just hope that I don't get a flat on the way!!!
Thanks again for the help, I will report back my success or lack there of.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Hello everyone,
I wanted to report back that I purchased a rim and tire that was reportedly from a 2002 CLK320. I paid $70.00 plus $40.00 shipping. I also purchased the shorter lugs from ECS Tuning for $17.00 including shipping. The tire fits perfectly on the car, with no rubbing on the inner fender well, lock to lock. I have enclosed some photos. Thanks for all the advice.
John

Old 07-14-2017, 07:44 AM

Vinyl spare tire cover. Spare fits under trunk floor cover or on top.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:46 AM

My wife and I are planning to take the car on a 500 mile trip to rural upstate New York in 2 weeks. Now I have a little peace of mind with having a spare tire. Best wishes to all.