Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

The cupholder solution! (sort of)

Old 06-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The cupholder solution! (sort of)

Okay, so I went to my local Pep Boys auto parts store looking for a Topsider, oil, filters, etc. so I can have these things around when oil change time arrives. I was just wandering the aisles seeing if there were any other toys that I might want. When I got to the cupholder aisle, there, hanging on a hook, was the solution: a cupholder that wedges between the seat and the console like the sunglass/cell holder one does.

It's perfect. Not the MOST attractive thing on Earth, but it isn't hideous. It fits nicely. Loaded with a large Pepsi from McD's, it doesn't seem to move even when confronted with wholly inappropriate g-forces. Interestingly, though it includes TWO cupholders and a small receptacle for other assorted objects, it protrudes far enough into the passenger seat that I'm not sure that any but the most svelte of passengers could actually sit there while this beverage receptacle of the gods is in place.

I am quite pleased that at least when I am by myself, I can now stop for a coffee and not worry about it flying into my lap. I shall remain the proud owner of the worst cupholder in automotive history. Even if I have now given it some help.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: The cupholder solution! (sort of)

Although the cupholder issue is a favorite of people on this forum, I wonder whether you are one of these people who prefers to drink coffee rather than drive what is a very pleasurable vehicle/experience.
I, and a great many others on this form have zero problems with our cupholder - many do not have the same stance.
Perhaps you should have bought a minivan - I hear they have cupholders everywhere - even the seats when folded down have them.

This is a drivers car - not a 'Sausage Egg McMuffin Meal' tray.
I, for one, think the cup holder is a well designed assembly - yes, it could be better but it would cost more, and unfortunately accountants run most companies. It could be a hell of a lot worse too.

So... you be proud that you willingly, and knowingly, bought a car with what you term as "the worst cupholder in automotive history".
Be proud of what you are.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Funny, the cup holder in my SRT6 has never given me any trouble. I use it sparingly and usually on long trips to keep closed water bottles out of my lap. I mostly fall into that category that spensley speaks of... driving not consuming food or drink. Not that I don't, it's just rare for me to do while I'm driving.

It's not 'rugged' but it's not flimsy either. If mine breaks, I'll probably just get another one.

If it's an obviously weak part that breaks, I'll take the old one apart and machine a part out of metal instead of remaking it from plastic. I'll even share with a proper "how-to".

But until that day comes... mine is more than adequate.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by spensley
Although the cupholder issue is a favorite of people on this forum, I wonder whether you are one of these people who prefers to drink coffee rather than drive what is a very pleasurable vehicle/experience.
I, and a great many others on this form have zero problems with our cupholder - many do not have the same stance.
Perhaps you should have bought a minivan - I hear they have cupholders everywhere - even the seats when folded down have them.

This is a drivers car - not a 'Sausage Egg McMuffin Meal' tray.
I, for one, think the cup holder is a well designed assembly - yes, it could be better but it would cost more, and unfortunately accountants run most companies. It could be a hell of a lot worse too.

So... you be proud that you willingly, and knowingly, bought a car with what you term as "the worst cupholder in automotive history".
Be proud of what you are.
There is no nobility in being a "driver" without a cup of coffee in rush hour traffic heading into the city, creeping along at 10 mph. Paint yourself with all the holier than thou rhetoric you like. I'll have my coffee and enjoy it, thank you. And I am not impugning anyone who is happy with the cupholder in our car. More power to those people. I was simply trying to help out the several others who have mentioned that they'd like a better one. And last but not least, a congratulations to you, spensley, for managing the most ridiculous flame that I've read on this forum yet. Yeesh. Should have bought a minivan, indeed. Wake up on the wrong side of bed or something or are you always a derisive ***?

Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Forum Regular

I like the cup holder but I do appreciate the tip on an alternative option. I like my coffee, sodas, and an occasional box of Hot Tamales while stuck in traffic...

Old 06-07-2007, 02:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always found my cupholder handy and useful. Unfortunately, it recently decided it wanted to remain erect without the need of any drug or herbs. A little industrial strength velcro secreted between the front edge and that of the receptacle keep it closed when not using it and no matter how many time I may bump it with my elbow it will not wake up and "bite" me. I do have to pry it loose when I need to use it, but it works like it always has when I do.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by XFiringInNC
Okay, so I went to my local Pep Boys auto parts store looking for a Topsider, oil, filters, etc. so I can have these things around when oil change time arrives. I was just wandering the aisles seeing if there were any other toys that I might want. When I got to the cupholder aisle, there, hanging on a hook, was the solution: a cupholder that wedges between the seat and the console like the sunglass/cell holder one does.

It's perfect. Not the MOST attractive thing on Earth, but it isn't hideous. It fits nicely. Loaded with a large Pepsi from McD's, it doesn't seem to move even when confronted with wholly inappropriate g-forces. Interestingly, though it includes TWO cupholders and a small receptacle for other assorted objects, it protrudes far enough into the passenger seat that I'm not sure that any but the most svelte of passengers could actually sit there while this beverage receptacle of the gods is in place.

I am quite pleased that at least when I am by myself, I can now stop for a coffee and not worry about it flying into my lap. I shall remain the proud owner of the worst cupholder in automotive history. Even if I have now given it some help.
I've used one of these for a long time. It does sit still - and will not slide out. If your passenger has little "junk in the trunk" it shouldn't interfere with their seating. I have noticed that many small cups aren't held in place too well. I keep a couple napkins available to fit around it and hold it in place. I learned about that when I hit thte brakes and a full soda landed on the floor...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:49 AM

I still can't understand why they didn't just use the set up that is in the SLK...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
I have always found my cupholder handy and useful. Unfortunately, it recently decided it wanted to remain erect without the need of any drug or herbs.
hahahaha...

Old 06-19-2007, 11:46 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

For those who insist on having a functional cup holder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 06-20-2007, 02:50 AM
Forum Regular

Looks like it might work, but that sure is an awful high price for what you are getting. He's even raping you on the shipping.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by snowtop57
Looks like it might work, but that sure is an awful high price for what you are getting. He's even raping you on the shipping.
Not me. I'm happy with my oem cup holder.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:21 AM

I think the problem that everyone is having is that there is no cup holder. It's a Blackberry holder.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:37 PM

Well my crossfire never even came with any cup holder but i have found a solution. I went to my local target and found a perfect, moderately inexpensive cup holder. It hooks right into my vents and is black and chrome so it matches the interior perfectly it doesn't look tacky at all. However I only use it for my morning Star bucks, I haven't really tested the durability for a XL soda from McDonalds.

car018.jpg

It's pretty close to my blinker but I've had no problems of it getting in the way and it stays right above the switch for the lights so it doesn't cover that up either...

Old 07-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snowtop57
All in, $55 for a bent coat hanger. This guy must be related to PT Barnum (sucker born every minute, yadda yadda yadda) Of course, the two cup with center pocket referred to by the original poster of this thread is a great solution as well. It's a favored piece in the Miata community since those cars have less than perfect cupholders as well. $5 or so at Pep Boys or Target, but I've seen the same piece for $20 on ebay. Same seller perhaps? Hmmm...could be!!
Originally Posted by Crossfire77
Well my crossfire never even came with any cup holder but i have found a solution. I went to my local target and found a perfect, moderately inexpensive cup holder. It hooks right into my vents and is black and chrome so it matches the interior perfectly it doesn't look tacky at all. However I only use it for my morning Star bucks, I haven't really tested the durability for a XL soda from McDonalds.

It's pretty close to my blinker but I've had no problems of it getting in the way and it stays right above the switch for the lights so it doesn't cover that up either...
Hmmm, I kinda like this one, especially for temporary use as you describe. I used the factory unit in the console this morning and it held a Starbucks Grande cup just fine. I always ask that they leave a little room at the top so the coffee doesn't slosh out of the little opening in the lid - it helps. In my automatic tranny equipped cars I tend to just hold the coffee cup, but that's a bit trickier when driving a manual box.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C77, where'd you get that one?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:26 PM

I bought that one at Target for like $10, it was in the automobile section and everything.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:14 AM

I found it works best (more passenger room) if turned around, rested on top of console edge, and fastened to the console with velcro. I only use it on trips (city and freeway) with a passenger, and keep it in the trunk otherwise. It is handy for items other than drinks when on long trips, by the way. Neither pretty nor ugly, it is helpful.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by XFiringInNC

Can you saw off the other half?

Old 09-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Was in a local auto parts store a number of weeks back- I think it was an O'Reilly Auto Parts. Bought a couple of the "in the window slot" type cheap cup holders. These have kind of a vertically "sliding" top with a long triangular piece that is supposed to go into the door along side the window. Naturally, they won't fit into the tight Crossfire window slot in the doors (although with the window down - then will go OVER the window and slide in on the outside). But the reason I bring this up is that these cupholders will hang on the glovebox. Open the glovebox a little, put the triangular tab in the opening and close the glovebox. Works great. I bought the black ones and using double sided tape, attached these pale gray "moisture absorbing stones" that my wife had previously given to me for my Jeep cupholders. The black and gray color combo almost makes it look like it belongs in the car. Not elegant, but it works and doesn't look any more like a sore thumb than it needs to be. As long as your seats are not pushed all the way back to the rear wall (roadster), you can even take the cupholder off and toss it out of sight behind the passenger seat when not needed.

Guy