Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Lighter removal, question

Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighter removal, question

How do I remove the lighter from this part?
Sorry the first shot is so blurry.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Default Re: Lighter removal, question

Evenin', Zorro!

...and the blurry one is the one you need to see, it never fails!
Is the lighter body threaded? If it is then you need to get a pliers & twist the ring. It's definitely mounted from the rear...........

Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kurts
Evenin', Zorro!

...and the blurry one is the one you need to see, it never fails!
Is the lighter body threaded? If it is then you need to get a pliers & twist the ring. It's definitely mounted from the rear...........
I have taken 10 shots of this thing! The two things I can't seem to do is take it apart, or take its picture!

It is not threaded as far as I can tell. It is put together like a Chinese puzzle box. I have taken lighters out of more cars than I can remember. This one is like a bad joke. As you go through the manual it's in the drawings up till the point that you would need to see it. Then it just disappears.

Zorro

Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 AM

Maybe go to a Chrysler dealer and try to order the lighter and see what picture comes up in their parts list if it's just the lighter item or if the whole thing is ordered as one piece. Just an option if you have the time and inclination.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by calxfire
Maybe go to a Chrysler dealer and try to order the lighter and see what picture comes up in their parts list if it's just the lighter item or if the whole thing is ordered as one piece. Just an option if you have the time and inclination.
Looks like I have to take it in one way or the other. I tried looking up the part at some of the on line parts sites and they don't even show a lighter. Hopefully the dealers book will, or maybe the service guy has had to replace one. I just want it out so I can paint the dash part.

Zorro

Old 09-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the parts list it appears that is a single part number that does not break down into separate part numbers. Check part 05102786AA

-2 LIGHTER
05102786AA 1 C, Z S, X 29 EGX, EGZ DED, DGJ,
DGU
With housing

Old 09-10-2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ppro
From the parts list it appears that is a single part number that does not break down into separate part numbers. Check part 05102786AA

-2 LIGHTER
05102786AA 1 C, Z S, X 29 EGX, EGZ DED, DGJ,
DGU
With housing

Who would've thought it'd be one part!
Something new every day..........

Old 09-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurts
Who would've thought it'd be one part!
Something new every day..........
That seems to be the trend. Our Volvo got tapped a couple years ago and there was one small crack that involved a single panel of plastic on the left tail light. I took out the panel (it snapped off easily) and went to the dealer for a new one. Wrong. I had to buy the whole assembly. With my club discount it was almost $200! And this was from a dealer that I had a personal and business relationship, and a parts guy that was my friend, so I know they didn't fleece me and sell me more than I needed. I was stunned. It was a huge waste of plastic and money.

At least here the part is relatively small and I can almost see why they'd make it one part...

Say, why the King Crimson avatar?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have a right angle hook tool, take that and there are two tabs that you need to push in. While you are doing this, you need to be pushing the lighter out as well. It's a pretty brute force affair but don't' worry, the tabs are really resilient. We've pulled three of them out this way between myself and jonnyangel. Hope this helps. Are you painting your dash or did your lighter crap out on you?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ppro
Say, why the King Crimson avatar?
Evening, P!

Mostly 'cause it appears to be a graphical representation of way I usually feel at the end of another day in the world of Information Technology!
Or, because I think it looks fairly cool.
Either explanation will do !
I'm glad you recognize the cover!

Old 09-13-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
If you have a right angle hook tool, take that and there are two tabs that you need to push in. While you are doing this, you need to be pushing the lighter out as well. It's a pretty brute force affair but don't' worry, the tabs are really resilient. We've pulled three of them out this way between myself and jonnyangel. Hope this helps. Are you painting your dash or did your lighter crap out on you?
I am painting the dash, or more likely having it painted. Are these two tabs the small black rectangular plastic ones you see when you look inside the lighter receptacle? What is a right angle hook tool? Like a dental tool?

Thanks
Zorro

Old 09-13-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ZORRO
I am painting the dash, or more likely having it painted. Are these two tabs the small black rectangular plastic ones you see when you look inside the lighter receptacle? What is a right angle hook tool? Like a dental tool?

Thanks
Zorro
The black tabs are on the outside part of the lighter socket that hold it to the plastic fascia piece. A right angle hook tool is pretty much a small much that has the last half inch bent at a right angle to the rest of the shaft. You could use a dental pick tool too and those are sometimes for sale at automotive parts stores. YMMV

Good luck and hope it helps.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
The black tabs are on the outside part of the lighter socket that hold it to the plastic fascia piece. A right angle hook tool is pretty much a small much that has the last half inch bent at a right angle to the rest of the shaft. You could use a dental pick tool too and those are sometimes for sale at automotive parts stores. YMMV

Good luck and hope it helps.
Nope, I do not get it. Must be over my head. WOW it's just a lighter. Why can't I just take it apart? Who designed this thing Satan?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ZORRO
Nope, I do not get it. Must be over my head. WOW it's just a lighter. Why can't I just take it apart? Who designed this thing Satan?
Take your thumb and push on the back of the thing as hard as you can and if the clips break on the lighter socket, I'll give you mine as I'm not using it anymore, just pay shipping. I can't believe it's that hard to get that little bugger out of there. I agree with you that Satan designed it though.