Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Dang Cupholder

Old 08-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Dang Cupholder

look at the slk bin. it has a sliding top to make it look cleaner. as for drinks bottled water only! anything else and you get served!!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I still dont' get it. I dont understand just what I am removing from around the shift and HOW to do it.

The service manual just isn't clear - even the pictures aren't clear.

If I could get the trim out from around the shift, I'd be home free - the rest is rather easy and very understandable, or so it seems at this point.
Ok, figured it out.

I got the square chrome-trim thingy to pop loose by squeezing it from the left and right sides, then coaxing it out. Popping the plate from around the shift was the easiest thing.

Pulling the cover off the brake handle was easy, too. THEN...

Things got hard. Took out the screws from up front, nuts from behind. Easy

Now, why didn't someone mention that silly-assed air line that goes (of all places ) to the latch for the storage compartment? That damn thing drove me nuts - finally got brave and disconnected it from the latch - but the thing that was bugging me (since no one here OR the manual mentions it) was I was afraid it ran to the top switch and was something to do with raising and lowering the top!!!!! That is the LAST thing I need: a problem with the top caused by ME!

Anyway, after I disconnected that and the plugs for the mirror switch and top switch - I was home free. As I turned the console over and took out the cupholder, I realized the air hose IS for the compartment door.

I just cant get over the fact that the manual does not mention that. Was this added in 2005? And what's the big deal - is this something to keep the compartment door from opening in an accident? WTFrell?

Anyway, I learned a lot about my car this afternoon. This was a good project for me to tackle - I now have a rectangular hole in my console (bin came in, gonna go pick it up next weekend). Soon, I'll have a place to keep my wallet so I don't give myself a hernia trying to get to my wallet at a toll booth or drive thru! And I WON'T be mashing my elbow on the cupholder.

Anyone wanna buy a cupholder that WON'T go down?

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-15-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

I just cant get over the fact that the manual does not mention that. Was this added in 2005? And what's the big deal - is this something to keep the compartment door from opening in an accident? WTFrell?
I believe that the manual does mention that the console locks when you lock the car (roadster only). All of the locks on the Crossfire are pneumatic, therefore the hose. Isn't it nice to know that whatever you put in the console is somewhat secure when the top is down and the car is locked?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Yea, I do remember reading that, now that you mention it.

But why doesnt' the manual mention the damn hose? I could not IMAGINE what the hell it was for!!!!

And I did NOT know the locks were pneumatic. So, as I said, I learned a lot about my car today. But why can't the SM mention this? Or is there an addendum or separate manual for Roadsters?

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-15-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried the fold up one from West Marine and it worked marginally but the dual lock adhesive strips I used would come off when you hit the unit. I saw a thread about this website and ordered it, $3795 + about $9.95 for freight, you just have to saw the bottom leg off and toggle the top fin under the console cowling and it fits snug. A Circle K 32 oz foam cup fits perfectly and stainless steel coffee cups and bottles do too.
Make sure you measure twice and cut once or like me, measure 5 or 6 times and you will get an accurate cut that fits.
Worth every penny it cost, (I have tried everybody elses)
Make sure you use the listed years on the link below.
tjinaz
Corvette Corvette Drink Holder, "Travel Buddy", Black, 1984-1989 - Corvette Parts and Accessories

Old 12-30-2010, 07:52 PM

I have a coffee mug i got from 711 that holds 16oz. and fits great ! But i am also getting annoyed every time i set my arm down and it lifting when i lift my arm !!!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM

My Chrysler dealer gave me a blue stainless steel coffee mug that fits perfectly in the holder. Of course this was after I told him how I allowed 12 oz of coffee to drain out of the console because it was in styrophome cup, boy am I a DA... The cup evem says "SRT"

Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Thumbs down Re: Dang Cupholder

new to the forum but have had my x-fire for a about 7mon long enough to no that there mite as well not be a cup holder

so..me and my girlfriend went to sonic and we get a drink so we decide to cruise around needless to say i try to jam my styrafoam cup in the "cup holder" and i jabs a hole in the side of the cup and i end up with a cherry-lime aid all over my 7" flip out and my girlfriends lap..

Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Forum Regular

tjinaz:

I have the same cup holder from the Covette catalog. It works perfect! I forgot where I bought it until you posted. Thanks.

BTW, I measured and cut it twice and it was still too short (heh, heh)

Old 01-06-2011, 12:45 PM

Thank you for getting back to me with the info !!!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my cup holder! However a bin would be nicer. Use this from walmart for a few $ NOT 14.99 off of ebat , Its supposed to fit between a cars seat and console but fits perfectly in the map pocket.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:51 PM

OMG!!! Your a genius !!! I never would have thought of that !!! Plus i know that back wall is metal so a few metal screws to hold it in would help too !! Thanks so much for the idea !!! I'm gonna go get one tonight !!!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CROSS_PHIRE
OMG!!! Your a genius !!! I never would have thought of that !!! Plus i know that back wall is metal so a few metal screws to hold it in would help too !! Thanks so much for the idea !!! I'm gonna go get one tonight !!!
No need for screws, the gas tank is behind that wall. It just sets in the pocket and holds 2 pretty good size drinks. Just keep an eye on the road as you contort to get drinks back in it

Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, i tried my wally-holder there too but kept thinking about where it all would go if I stopped really hard. decided I liked it better and easier to use and no interference from my passenger where it;s located by the console.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM

Don't know if anyone noticed but the two Crossfires being parted out in the parts forum both have their mighty cupholders!! In fact the SSB Coupe has it deployed. Think it caused or added to the accident causing the demise? I notice no one has put dibs on either holder. Anyone here interested, I'm sure they would be cheap!

Xfirepop

Old 03-02-2011, 04:28 PM

I happen to LOVE my cupholder! Now I have a problem, however. Mine broke. Anyone know where to find a replacement or selling theirs. I would use the mRss, but I don't have one I can trust to hold a liquid in the car.....

Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by amateurcrossfire
I happen to LOVE my cupholder! Now I have a problem, however. Mine broke. Anyone know where to find a replacement or selling theirs. I would use the mRss, but I don't have one I can trust to hold a liquid in the car.....
PM me. We'll work something out.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 392 Likes on 337 Posts

Here is what I did with that wallyworld cupholder. It works fantastic and I use the OEM one for holding my bifocals, perfect fit and hold!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...older-mod.html

Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 AM

REPLACEMENT PART FOR THE ALL FAMOUS CUP HOLDER? OR EVEN BETTER YET HOW IT COMES A PART THANKS 2005 ROADSTER