Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Glovebox

Old 01-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glovebox

From what I can tell, the glovebox changed somewhere along the line from one that drops down when you open the door to one where the door just opens to reveal the glovebox interior. I don't know when this happened, but what I need to know is how to remove the newer model on my '08. I want to get behind it to install some mini-plugs for the stereo and install the panavise phone mount.

Thanks....

Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Glovebox

Originally Posted by Veloce
From what I can tell, the glovebox changed somewhere along the line from one that drops down when you open the door to one where the door just opens to reveal the glovebox interior. I don't know when this happened, but what I need to know is how to remove the newer model on my '08. I want to get behind it to install some mini-plugs for the stereo and install the panavise phone mount.

Thanks....
We have knee airbags, the older models dont.Be careful when you are taking everything apart.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
We have knee airbags, the older models dont. Be careful when you are taking everything apart.
Thanks. Another good reason for some help here.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:51 PM

I installed a FM Modulator without removing the box. I removed the radio and center dash and fished the wiring using a wire through the air bag switch/fuse panel on the passenger side. I drilled a 3/8" hole and pulled the wires into the glove box which consealed the XM and Ipod jack. Use a flash light to guide your wire thru. It made a neat installation IMOP.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Forum Regular

I like the idea, but...

You removed the entire center dash?

I'm wondering if a way to fish it through without removing the center dash?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can fish stuff through without removing the dash, but I don't believe there is any way to remove the glovebox completely on the new models without doing so.

I speak from experience - I removed pretty much everything but the dash in hardwiring my power seats and valentine one and the thing that stopped me from going further was the knee airbag unit - there's no way to remove the flexible panel that blows open when the airbag deploys - at least not that I could see.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah, I've tried to figure out a way to pull out the glovebox to no avail.
There are two screws under the dash that drop the rubber cover for the knee bolsters, but they only reveal the sealed box for the knee bolsters. I removed all the screws in the glovebox and nothing moved. I really dread having to remove the center console as it seems like a lot of work to just run a wire.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:20 PM

IMPORTANT**

The panavise will NOT work with your car. I have an 07 and due to our knee airbags the glovebox is shorter and will not clear the bracket once installed so you will be unable to open/close the glovebox. I had to settle with a Pro.Fit which is ok but had a panavise in my previous car and is my #1 favorite! I had dealt with the Engineer at Panavise directly and with a lot of back and forth and trying to make it work for me in addition to sending me other options, it didn't work in the end. Otherwise great company!

Old 01-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Forum Regular

I want to thank you very much for helping me out with the decision.
I guess I'll be going with the ProFit.

Did you figure out how to remove the glovebox to access the space behind it?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:30 PM

To fish my cables for my Bluetooth adapter I used one of those metal push button grabbers and held set of keys tied to a string. I came through the passengers side (the little door you see on the side of the dash while the door is open) dropped them when I reached the center radio console. I put the adapter on this side to avoid interference with all of the stuff going on the drivers side. The iPhone/iPod cable I ran from the headunit and pushed it through the seam on the console under the glovebox and only shows about 10 inches of wire which is over my black plastic any way.

Let me know if this helps.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Forum Regular

I saw your post on the photos of the Panavise.

How were you able to pull the glovebox out sufficiently to install it.
Second, it would seem that a little bending up might allow it to clear the door OR is it that the seam between the closed door and the dash is too small? If it is the second, would I little grinding of the piece allow the door to close?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce
I saw your post on the photos of the Panavise.

How were you able to pull the glovebox out sufficiently to install it.
Second, it would seem that a little bending up might allow it to clear the door OR is it that the seam between the closed door and the dash is too small? If it is the second, would I little grinding of the piece allow the door to close?

You remove the 3 most left screw visible on the side when you open the glove box, and shimmy the bracket inside. Be carful not to knock off the metal clip that has the threading (you won't be able to see it).

If you install it and bend the bracket up quite a bit--it will clear it. But the angle up is so extreme that it is unusable even with a 15 degree pivoting mount like I had. If you adjust your mount all the way down it works, but it looks ridiculous. I'm also pretty picky about all and any of my installs being super clean. If you are determined to use the panavise you can bend the bracket upward enough for the door to clear and make up the difference by adjusting your mount but it wont be the best angle still. I tried it all.

If you were to grind the corner off and re-paint it it would help a little. But when you mount the bracket in, an entire inch of the glovebox hits and doesn't clear. We're not talking about a little bit.