Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Suede Headliner Help

Old 05-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suede Headliner Help *updated with pics*

Updated with pictures

Just ordered charcoal suede and adhesive from headlinerexpress.com for $75 shipped. The color should match with the seats very well but I wasnt willing to pay the hundreds of dollars for real Alcantara. I assume that the install would be pretty straight forward... remove headliner, strip off old stuff, spray adhesive and apply/cut suede.If I have enough material left over I will probably try out the pillars also.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this to make sure that everything goes smoothly. Any issues with the material being too thick to properly fit all the pieces back together?
Any issues with the panel clips breaking very easily?

Last edited by MikeBrink28; 06-11-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Suede Headliner Help

I stopped by his shop and watched him do a suede headliner install. The important thing he stressed is a measure twice cut once strategy. Once you apply the glue and place the material on there's not much forgiveness to re-position. I know he supplies enough material to do the front pillars too. I ended up buying the OEM material, just prefer the contrast look. Good luck with the install!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did my own with Rudy, needless to say it has fallen, leave it to the pros. I got quoted $1100 for alcantera. That includes; headlinner, pillars, back pannels, and Back liftgate should be done next week.

Only advice do not strech the fabric rather lay the fabric, move from the center out rolling a tennis ball slowly, do not spray the whole headlinner and go for it at once, lastly set some books on the headlinner for a day or two, don't install it right away.

Good luck

Old 05-28-2010, 09:23 AM
ADDICTED TO BOOST

Please post pictures when you are done. I have always liked the idea of changing the headliner.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:42 PM

Any update on your instal?

Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 PM

Finally got started on the new project. Material is a perfect match to the stock suede on the seats.

Removal of the pillars and headliner took roughly 10 minutes.

Getting the headliner out of the car and peeled off was another 15 minutes.

I have started in the middle point and worked my way out to complete half of the headliner so far.

I also started doing the other side and I realize that the concave of the headliner is causing a crease to appear at whichever corner I decide to finish with. I'm gonna get back at it tonight when its not 90* outside. Hopefully I can come up with a way to hide/prevent this crease from forming.

Expect pictures of the final product to be posted by tomorrow.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:08 AM

Finished the install this afternoon after allowing everything to dry out overnight. Overall it wasn't too much of a hassle, although it did not come out perfectly. I had a bit of excess/ bubble up at the passenger side pillar but must of the imperfections are concealed by the visors.

I love the look and it seems like the car should have been made that way. Color is a perfect match to the factory seats and in all honesty I can't tell the difference in the quality of the material. I would say it was $75 and 3 hours well spent. I was quoted $350 for the job to be done at a shop with the same material. I prefer to save the money and have fun doing it myself.

Pics attached.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0346.JPG (2.18 MB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN0344.JPG (2.11 MB, 101 views)
Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 AM
Forum Regular

This is a great thread and great pictures, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I was quoted $250 to redo the headliner with stock looking fabric. Any more pics or tips on the install? How much suede/adhesive did you order?

Old 06-13-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by satellite
This is a great thread and great pictures, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I was quoted $250 to redo the headliner with stock looking fabric. Any more pics or tips on the install? How much suede/adhesive did you order?
what color you ordered as well

Old 06-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
what color you ordered as well
He said "charcoal suede" in the first post.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think I paid $120. Gave the guy an extra $20. Been doing headliners for 40+ years and it was his own business. Did a great job and it was worth every penny not to do it myself!

Everyone here getting quotes for 350+ are crazy!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by satellite
Only advice I can give you would be to take your time. I started with the middle and worked my way to the back...sides... and then finished with the front. Like I said, I had a bit of excess that left a bit of bubbling but as far as I know you cant really do much about that with suede. I finished with the front so that the imperfections would be hidden by the vanity mirrors.

I ordered a can of the adhesive along with the material, and then picked up an extra can at Pepboys jsut to be safe.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by MikeBrink28
Only advice I can give you would be to take your time. I started with the middle and worked my way to the back...sides... and then finished with the front. Like I said, I had a bit of excess that left a bit of bubbling but as far as I know you cant really do much about that with suede. I finished with the front so that the imperfections would be hidden by the vanity mirrors.

I ordered a can of the adhesive along with the material, and then picked up an extra can at Pepboys jsut to be safe.
FWIW - the only adhesive that has ever worked for me regarding headliner is contact cement - coating the foam backing and also the headliner fabric first, drying to tack and then placing together.

I've tried several different sprays (3M, other brands) and they all fell. My contact cemented headliner is still up after 2.5 years.