Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Replacement key/Key fob?

Old 10-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Re: Replacement key/Key fob?

[QUOTE=WD40;931188]Having read the horror stories I've become very protective of my two keys. Pull into garage, open door, still seated, reach up & place key on top of roof. Leave key there until I drive the car again. Spare key is stored in a safe along with the title. Could I be more careful?[/Q

WD40 this is the smartest thing you could have done to teach those of us new to this car . TREAT YOUR KEYS LIKE A TREASURE.

It is really funny how some will blast me about my posts and those who asked about same issues and called me a TROLL THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE !! I HAVE DROPPED THE MIC AS WELL.

AND THOSE WHO HAVE BOUGHT THIS CAR RECENTLY OR THINKING OF BUYING A CROSSFIRE THERE IS NO EASY FIX FOR THESE KEY OR SKREEM PROBLEMS DO RESEARCH B4 BUYING THIS CAR !!
OR YOU WILL BE IN BIG TROUBLE !! (((( BECAUSE THERE IS NO FIX AT THIS TIME OR IN THE NEAR FUTURE )))

Old 10-17-2019, 06:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Re: Replacement key/Key fob?

[QUOTE=manlaw38;931251]
Originally Posted by WD40
Having read the horror stories I've become very protective of my two keys. Pull into garage, open door, still seated, reach up & place key on top of roof. Leave key there until I drive the car again. Spare key is stored in a safe along with the title. Could I be more careful?[/Q

WD40 this is the smartest thing you could have done to teach those of us new to this car . TREAT YOUR KEYS LIKE A TREASURE.

It is really funny how some will blast me about my posts and those who asked about same issues and called me a TROLL THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE !! I HAVE DROPPED THE MIC AS WELL.

AND THOSE WHO HAVE BOUGHT THIS CAR RECENTLY OR THINKING OF BUYING A CROSSFIRE THERE IS NO EASY FIX FOR THESE KEY OR SKREEM PROBLEMS DO RESEARCH B4 BUYING THIS CAR !!
OR YOU WILL BE IN BIG TROUBLE !! (((( BECAUSE THERE IS NO FIX AT THIS TIME OR IN THE NEAR FUTURE )))
They blast you about your posts because it is the same post over and over. I sympathize about what happened to your key but that's literally all you ever talk about. Then you say you won't post anymore and then here we again. Don't you understand that? At least you have one key and your car is starting. Some people cannot even drive their car. If having one key is bothering you that much then maybe you should consider selling it. There is no aftermarket solution for a key and the soonest Chrysler might make them is January and you need to accept that and stop whining constantly.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

[QUOTE=manlaw38;931251]
Originally Posted by WD40
Having read the horror stories I've become very protective of my two keys. Pull into garage, open door, still seated, reach up & place key on top of roof. Leave key there until I drive the car again. Spare key is stored in a safe along with the title. Could I be more careful?[/Q

Please stay away as you say you are going to do. You are not contributing any value. You just like to complain about your key over and over. You should just sell the car and buy something that will not make you so miserable.

Last edited by Toolman; 10-17-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before anybody goes looking for a new fob please read my story.

I bought an SRT Coupe from a dealer with 16,000 miles. Discovered after getting home the second key fob didn't work. Replaced batteries, still no love. Key works, fob does not. Turns out the key had never once been used and was still not mated to the car. The old key programming feature still worked for me. Try that at least once if you aren't sure.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post146279

Old 10-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Talking Re: Replacement key/Key fob?

[QUOTE=Ronman;931265]
Originally Posted by manlaw38

They blast you about your posts because it is the same post over and over. I sympathize about what happened to your key but that's literally all you ever talk about. Then you say you won't post anymore and then here we again. Don't you understand that? At least you have one key and your car is starting. Some people cannot even drive their car. If having one key is bothering you that much then maybe you should consider selling it. There is no aftermarket solution for a key and the soonest Chrysler might make them is January and you need to accept that and stop whining constantly.
I post because many have asked same question as I .And I guess we will see if Chrysler will make a key or fix the key and Skreem problem.. (( I see why people leave this forum due to the nasty attitude from people like you !!! )) And I am not whining I have true problem and warn those who ask about keys or a skreem there is no easy fix at all I doubt ever will because our cars are old and just a maybe 80,000 people interested in keeping it alive !! guess we will all see. I noticed the guy Wolfstalker who is very upset about his car sitting and rotting who posted about the Skreem problem you never approached him like this or called him a whiner .. I guess it depends who you are on this forum on how well you treat them. . I don't need this crap in my life and definitely don't need people like you Sir good ridence !!

Last edited by manlaw38; 10-17-2019 at 09:25 PM. Reason: missing text
Old 01-18-2020, 07:02 PM

I order two pieces, the price was right. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288...chweb201603_55

Last edited by brotow; 01-18-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:21 AM
Received 351 Likes on 310 Posts

You realize, of course, that it is only a replacement case and you must swap all of your original parts to it?

Old 01-19-2020, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
You realize, of course, that it is only a replacement case and you must swap all of your original parts to it?
Yes, but it also includes a blank key

Old 01-19-2020, 02:11 PM
Received 351 Likes on 310 Posts

Do you plan on having it cut to fit your car, then what?

Old 01-19-2020, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Do you plan on having it cut to fit your car, then what?
I still have 2 original / working keys. One fob has broke at the plastic loop where the key ring goes. I repaired it with JB Weld works good and the gray is a very close match. I have bought 2 of these for spares. for less than $10

Old 01-29-2020, 04:33 PM

Dang, as much as I want a CF, that key issue scares me! A local guy has a high mileage one, automatic, cheap, ONE key. Tried to tell me they only cost $50. Don't think he understands about the chip. I know of a nice one near by, manual like I want, just not my color.....2 Key fob. Might have to go with that one.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:53 PM

Smart move to get the 2 key Crossfire. I bought 8 original key fobs as a lot paid $40 for all 8 original Crossfire key fobs . I felt I got a bargain even if they don't start my car. This Spring I wanna see if I can program the remotes to unlock at least the doors. I think they are also vin #specific . It's cold here I have no garage to take ignition out to see if I can see if the remote locks can be activated once I use the last usable key with transponder key is close to transponder ring with ignition is turned to run position to see if I can activate the bought used remotes . Guess I will see once weather gets warmer. 😁
Originally Posted by ulflyer
Dang, as much as I want a CF, that key issue scares me! A local guy has a high mileage one, automatic, cheap, ONE key. Tried to tell me they only cost $50. Don't think he understands about the chip. I know of a nice one near by, manual like I want, just not my color.....2 Key fob. Might have to go with that one.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:31 PM

Check this

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post146279

Old 01-29-2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ulflyer
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ht=program+key

Old 01-31-2020, 01:56 PM

I know that the factory key can be reprogrammed but not sure if none factory vin related keys can be programmed to another Crossfire. I do know the transponder chip from another car will not work. Thanks for responce 😀

Old 02-01-2020, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

Here is what I know about how it works:

You put the key in the ignition, press either LOCK or UNLOCK twice, then turn the key to ON.

The SKREEM 'hears' the signal generated by the FOB, decodes the data stream, realizes it is not one of it's prestored codes, remembers the code but does not take any action.
You then turn the key to "ON" and the SKREEM 'knows' that the code sent is intended to be stored into memory as a valid code, so it stores it, if the format is compatible with the SKREEM.

Here is what I DO NOT know:

When you turn the key to "ON", the SKREEM reads the RFID in the chip in the key (this is the coded signal that tells the SKREEM to enable engine starting). My question is this: In order to store a lock/unlock code, does the SKREEM want to see a valid RFID start code? From what I understand, it does NOT insist on a valid start code, as others have reported they have programmed keys to unlock doors that would not start the engine. This means that the only requirement is to have a FOB that sends data in the compatible format of the Crossfire SKREEM for door locking/unlocking. Apparently, that format is not all that unique to the Crossfire.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Here is what I know about how it works:

You put the key in the ignition, press either LOCK or UNLOCK twice, then turn the key to ON.

The SKREEM 'hears' the signal generated by the FOB, decodes the data stream, realizes it is not one of it's prestored codes, remembers the code but does not take any action.
You then turn the key to "ON" and the SKREEM 'knows' that the code sent is intended to be stored into memory as a valid code, so it stores it, if the format is compatible with the SKREEM.

Here is what I DO NOT know:

When you turn the key to "ON", the SKREEM reads the RFID in the chip in the key (this is the coded signal that tells the SKREEM to enable engine starting). My question is this: In order to store a lock/unlock code, does the SKREEM want to see a valid RFID start code? From what I understand, it does NOT insist on a valid start code, as others have reported they have programmed keys to unlock doors that would not start the engine. This means that the only requirement is to have a FOB that sends data in the compatible format of the Crossfire SKREEM for door locking/unlocking. Apparently, that format is not all that unique to the Crossfire.

Hi Pizzaguy, As I mentioned I bought a lot of 8 Crossfire keys paid $40 for all 8 keys for kicks off ebay.. Just wanted to try to get the remote part to try to program one or all 8 remotes to see if I can get any of them to unlock the car. I know none of them will start the car !!!! But said what the hell I'll give it a go. If I can get any of them to link up to my car I can then destroy my last working key and glue transponder to antenna ring and I will hopefully be able to have 8 remotes that will at least be able to unlock car via the remote locks? But I think this is not possible with used preprogrammed keys esp with the transponders will not work!!!! If I can get it to work that way 8 remotes if the used remotes can be linked up , but I doubt it !!. I will then use my original cut key to turn ignition or I can shave the tumblers to have any cut key work. I will try this in the Spring since its to cold now. Thanks for responding 😊
spelling

Last edited by manlaw38; 02-01-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:41 AM
Received 402 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by manlaw38
I will try this in the Spring since its to cold now. Thanks for responding 😊

Are you kidding? It takes NO TIME or much effort to substitute YOUR key for the 'turn key on' portion, to see if the other FOB (of the 8, remember to not use more than the max number) can be set to lock/unlock the car. The ONLY portion of the sequence is turning the key AFTER pressing the FOB button twice. I do not think the spare has to be the key that is 'turned' in the iggy. You MAY NOT have to have it in proximity of the key ring where the 'good' key is. Others have been able to use the FOB board just to lock/unlock the car.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:24 AM
Received 564 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Are you kidding? It takes NO TIME or much effort to substitute YOUR key for the 'turn key on' portion, to see if the other FOB (of the 8, remember to not use more than the max number) can be set to lock/unlock the car. The ONLY portion of the sequence is turning the key AFTER pressing the FOB button twice. I do not think the spare has to be the key that is 'turned' in the iggy. You MAY NOT have to have it in proximity of the key ring where the 'good' key is. Others have been able to use the FOB board just to lock/unlock the car.

As far as I know the eight refers to eight separate chips each with it’s own code that the security system will remember if programmed to. If the code is not in memory then the key will not work even if the memory has less than eight codes in it, it will be treated as an alien key and the car will not start.

Red Dog had random purchased fobs open the doors and others did not succeed in having such fobs work at all. The fob keys did not start the car.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:02 PM

Thanks onehundred80 and graphiteghost. I have also read that if you try to program an alien preprogrammed used remote it can eff up the Skreem and seen as a security breach. I have 2 original keys and remember I lost the transponder chip. I never found it.
So I wanted to try to see if I can link or program used the remote to unlock doors and glue the good remote inside dash in antenna ring permanently in reach if I need to remove it if I wish to. If this does not work my other plan is buying the a new aftermarket VW remote system with to flip keys and hook up the remote box to the center power door lock switch and glue or attach the last working key in antenna ring and use my factory key blades to turn ignition switch .
I've seen these ebay VW flip key remote systems cheap on ebay . $13. Free shipping. So the original flip key will be behind dash secured . the VW aftermarket systems have 2 flip key remotes so as long as I leave the original key fob In in the antenna ring behind dash secured this could be an option to buying expensive new keys. The Skreem will be happy since the transponder is always in antenna.
The flip keys can be installed into the VW type aftermarket remotes. Anyway just experimenting and trying to find cheap options to a complicated conundrum . I'm not worried about someone stealing car that's why I have insurance. Plus my Crossfire is not a garage queen .. This is my input to a complicated issue.. 😀QUOTE=onehundred80;936083]As far as I know the eight refers to eight separate chips each with it’s own code that the security system will remember if programmed to. If the code is not in memory then the key will not work even if the memory has less than eight codes in it, it will be treated as an alien key and the car will not start.

Red Dog had random purchased fobs open the doors and others did not succeed in having such fobs work at all. The fob keys did not start the car.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Replacement key/Key fob?