Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Replacement key/Key fob?

Old 08-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replacement key/Key fob?

Does anybody know about this place?

https://paylesscarkeys.com/index.php...oWvrE_eBIm7qTg

Also, go to their main page (or the top of the same page) and search by vehicle and you'll get some other options, one of which is $149.

Last edited by MarkT777; 08-05-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Received 886 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkT777
For the umpteenth time, yes.

Your first clue should be this:

KEY BY LOCK AND PROGRAMMED BY IMMOBOX FOR CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE

Care to translate that? If they can't speak English, why do you trust them with a job this complex?

Your second clue should be this:

So you are going to tear the SKREEM out of your car and ship it to them, pay them $149 or whatever, then put the SKREEM back in when it comes in the mail - and if it does not work, you are out $149 and now need not only a $600 key but also a $700 SKREEM?

Yea, go ahead, do it. Let us know how THIS works out for you.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-05-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
For the umpteenth time, yes.

Your first clue should be this:

KEY BY LOCK AND PROGRAMMED BY IMMOBOX FOR CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE

Care to translate that? If they can't speak English, why do you trust them with a job this complex?

Your second clue should be this:

So you are going to tear the SKREEM out of your car and ship it to them, pay them $149 or whatever, then put the SKREEM back in when it comes in the mail - and if it does not work, you are out $149 and now need not only a $600 key but also a $700 SKREEM?

Yea, go ahead, do it. Let us know how THIS works out for you.
Hey, I just posted a link that may be of help. As for their English, Crossfires were built by Germans so I wouldn't always expect the experts to speak perfect English.

Last edited by MarkT777; 08-05-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Hey, I just posted a link that may be of help. As for their English, Crossfires were built by Germans so I wouldn't always expect the experts to speak perfect English.
I see you didn't address my second point.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:30 PM

I addressed that with "I just posted a link that may be of help." If it requires sending in a part, it may be the only option some can afford. My original post was mostly intended to ask if anybody had ever actually tried them and what their results were. But, I guess troll are everywhere when it comes to forums.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Administrator

I'm not trolling, I'm pointing out that if you read the entire page - you realize you are taking a HUGE risk. You can buck up and order a key at $500 to $700 or you can risk $149 with this company and if ANYTHING happens, end up spending $149 + $500 for a Key + $700 for SKREEM.
That is $1349 where you could have simply ordered a key from a reputable source.

Do not overlook the fact that your $149 option requires you to take the dash apart OR pay someone to do so, even if they can do that in an hour (then another hour to reassemble the dash when the SKREEM comes back) you are now spending $149 plus two hours labor MINIMUM (another $200), that's $349 to take a RISK.

Several have mentioned this company - so far, NO ONE that has posted here on the forum has used this not-guaranteed 'service'.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 132 Likes on 104 Posts

Look at the very last entry on this page dated 6 months ago. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...19864_ds617050
Sure you're taking a chance. But what if it's all you can afford?

Old 08-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Received 383 Likes on 331 Posts

https://paylesscarkeys.com/index.php...oWvrE_eBIm7qTg

Also, go to their main page (or the top of the same page) and search by vehicle and you'll get some other options, one of which is $149.

Pardon the question, but it looks like it does not have the door/hatch lock/unlock with alarm feature. Seems all it does is allow start (if it has the chip programmed). Is that true?

Old 08-05-2019, 03:13 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Pardon the question, but it looks like it does not have the door/hatch lock/unlock with alarm feature. Seems all it does is allow start (if it has the chip programmed). Is that true?

I thought about that too. I wonder if you ordered the style of key you want online and then mail those keys along with the other stuff if he'd have a problem putting the transponder into them instead. As the person I linked to in my last post said, "Call 1(718) 907-3000 ask for Alex."

Old 08-05-2019, 06:49 PM
Received 548 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

At that price I think I would be satisfied opening the door with the key, I never had any trouble doing it for forty years or so.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:27 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
At that price I think I would be satisfied opening the door with the key, I never had any trouble doing it for forty years or so.
Forty or fifty years ago I didn’t lock my doors.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JSK
Forty or fifty years ago I didn’t lock my doors.
I should have said sixty odd not forty odd. I cannot count.
Not locked because of trust or the car was not worth stealing?
Remember when we hid another key under the car just in case we got locked out or lost the main key? One of these keys might be used that way just in case of a lost fob, we would be in a pickle if it happened and there was only had one key period, calling the tow truck would be the only option.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:39 PM
Forum Regular

Remember when we hid another key under the car just in case we got locked out or lost the main key?
Apparently that practice still survives... https://www.harborfreight.com/magnet...two-62748.html
I learned my lesson really young. My first job was as a runner for a law firm. I did it after school from age 15 to 17. I'd just delivered some legal papers to another law firm and was parallel parked on a downtown street, reached for my keys only to realize they were still in the ignition of my locked car!!! I stood there helpless for a few minutes until I finally remembered I kept a spare key in my wallet. It was a good mistake for me to make at a young age though, because I've NEVER REPEATED that error. That horrible feeling shaped my behavior for the rest of my life! :-)

And yes, I remember having that same magnetic key box and knowing exactly where I could reach up and grab it. Not sure when I stopped using one, or why; but I used to always keep a spare key that way. Probably stopped when I got my first keyless entry system. It's all in the realm of forgotten history.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Not locked because of trust or the car was not worth stealing?
When living on assignment in Saudi Arabia a couple decades ago, we not only left our cars unlocked, we left the keys in the ignition.
Nothing deters a car thief more than the very real threat of losing his right hand in Chop Chop Square for taking another's auto.
Brutal, maybe. But life was peaceful living in the Kingdom back in the day.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a question. I've only had my crossfire for 3 weeks. It came with one key. I've been looking to buy another but there's a hitch. The carfax shows that in 2011 the "Lock cylinder(s) recoded" and "Ignition lock cylinder replaced".

When I told this to the live chat person that was struggling to understand me, he told me they couldn't sell me a new key.

What does the term "recoded" actually mean and does the replacement of the ignition lock cylinder mean I no longer have the OEM key? The one fob and key that came with car looks VERY well used. Thanks for any insight..

Old 08-23-2019, 05:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like your question is: how do I know if my engine computer, skreem, and ignition lock match the VIN of my car? These items would have to match when ordering replacement parts online. I don't know how this could be determined.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

There is a possability someone changed out everything from a scrap car to make it run. In that case the vin. may not match?

Old 08-23-2019, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ttmmdd
Looks like your question is: how do I know if my engine computer, skreem, and ignition lock match the VIN of my car? These items would have to match when ordering replacement parts online. I don't know how this could be determined.
Actually that's not what I'm asking although it's a valid consideration. I need to start by understanding what "recoded" means. I called the garage that the carfax has listed doing the work. I talked to someone there who remembers the car but didn't know what it meant.

As for replacing the lock cylinder(s). I'm inclined to think this is the repair known to be a problem with the steering lock getting stuck and not allowing the key to be turned easily or at all.

I do thank you for your reply.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
There is a possability someone changed out everything from a scrap car to make it run. In that case the vin. may not match?
Reading the VIN within the PCM is done easily enough. If it matches the one on the car I would think that a complete swap out is not the case. I'll take my scan tool and look at the VIN. Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by g wheels
I have a question. I've only had my crossfire for 3 weeks. It came with one key. I've been looking to buy another but there's a hitch. The carfax shows that in 2011 the "Lock cylinder(s) recoded" and "Ignition lock cylinder replaced".

When I told this to the live chat person that was struggling to understand me, he told me they couldn't sell me a new key.

What does the term "recoded" actually mean and does the replacement of the ignition lock cylinder mean I no longer have the OEM key? The one fob and key that came with car looks VERY well used. Thanks for any insight..
My guess is that the electronic part of the fob is OEM but the key part has been changed to fit the new lock cylinders that were replaced. Dealers were inclined to replace all the lock cylinders when they were fixing the Sticky Key problem. These new cylinders came with there own keys that fitted them, they then threw away the OEM key part and fitted the new keys to the OEM fobs.
The phone rep was confused when you mentioned recoded locks and decided you could not have a new key, maybe they saw you as a potential security threat. I would order a new key but not mention the recoded cylinders, when you get the key get a new key cut and fit it in place of the existing OEM one that comes with the new fob.

Quick Reply: Replacement key/Key fob?