Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Interior Door Handles Peeling

Old 02-06-2019, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Interior Door Handles Peeling

So, I saw a bunch of these posts from a while back while I was searching for something else this morning and realized I probably should have shared this when I did it. Mine also was 'sharp' and peeling (more plastic than metal but regardless...). I wasn't really keen on disassembling the door to remove/replace/whatever so was looking for some other fix.

Enter sheets of "carbon fiber" peel and stick stuff on Amazon (there are a BUNCH of options out there, just choose what works for you). I think it ran me $12 and it's been in place now for about 3 years. (The adhesive is SUPER STRONG). No, it's not factory, but my car is my daily driver so it works for me and is WAY better than what the previous owner had apparently thought was a 'good' fix (clear tape wrapped around the sharp spots that then started peeling).

Just wanted to share and show you what it ended up looking like.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Interior Door Handles Peeling

Good job !
I'm still a bit curious about that fuse 9 situation.
Question, have you tried removing the metal key from the fob and seeing if it will start the car without the RFID chip being present ?

Old 02-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Hmmm, now that we have NOT tried... to be honest, I only have ONE key so I'm hesitant to mess with it in any way... I pretty much treat my Crossfire baby with the management style of 'if it ain't broke...." (don't tempt fate!)... I love that car but realize I'm limited in both my own ability to 'realize' what might be happening if something does go wrong along with the inability to have someone experienced work on it in my area.

I do have a replacement key that my husband got me one year that I'm too nervous to have programed because I fear something will get messed up with the original key I have and then I'll be out of luck.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:07 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcandre
Hmmm, now that we have NOT tried... to be honest, I only have ONE key so I'm hesitant to mess with it in any way... I pretty much treat my Crossfire baby with the management style of 'if it ain't broke...." (don't tempt fate!)... I love that car but realize I'm limited in both my own ability to 'realize' what might be happening if something does go wrong along with the inability to have someone experienced work on it in my area.

I do have a replacement key that my husband got me one year that I'm too nervous to have programed because I fear something will get messed up with the original key I have and then I'll be out of luck.
You could take your key to a good locksmith shop and they can cut you a new blank.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Nice! I used Crystal Clear Gorilla Tape and it worked great. The size is perfect for the job. Took me about 10 minutes and it retains the look. BTW - there are leather wraps specifically manufactured for this issue on the Crossfires.

Last edited by HazMatt; 03-09-2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Photo addition
Old 03-09-2019, 12:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HazMatt
BTW - there are leather wraps specifically manufactured for this issue on the Crossfires.
Have you got a like to those? I would be interested in that.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tom3120
Have you got a like to those? I would be interested in that.
https://www.amazon.com/RedlineGoods-Alcantara-Tailor-Made-Chrysler-Crossfire/dp/B01LVZZNLP?th=1&psc=1

Old 03-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HazMatt
https://www.amazon.com/RedlineGoods-Alcantara-Tailor-Made-Chrysler-Crossfire/dp/B01LVZZNLP?th=1&psc=1
wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up on these