Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Fuel Gauge Issue

Old 11-07-2022, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Issue

Hi all, have an issue with my fuel gauge and wondering if any had a similar experience? Recently I switched out my instrument cluster to a second hand one as a number of my LCD displays had died or were displaying partial information. On switching the cluster all gauges and lights work correctly except for my fuel gauge, it now stays in the full position constantly. It was work correctly before the switch, and I believe the sender unit is also working correctly as the fuel light will come on when fuel is low. Could be just a bad gauge in the second hand cluster but I read somewhere that the gauge requires a dealer reset after an instrument cluster change. Anyone know if this is true or had a similar experience with a cluster removal or change?

Old 11-07-2022, 04:39 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Gauge Issue

Check the that the left side plug to the cluster is seated correctly, It maybe possible the pins are not aligned properly.

Old 11-07-2022, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Check the that the left side plug to the cluster is seated correctly, It maybe possible the pins are not aligned properly.
Yeah, I did think of that and disconnected it and reseated the connection, unfortunately with no luck!

Old 11-07-2022, 05:18 PM
Administrator
Received 886 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by mickland
Could be just a bad gauge in the second hand cluster but I read somewhere that the gauge requires a dealer reset after an instrument cluster change. Anyone know if this is true or had a similar experience with a cluster removal or change?
Others have replaced clusters and I do not remember them saying the fuel gauge was any problem. The sensor for the gauge is a simple variable resistor in the tank, I fail to see what you would "reset" in relation to the gauge. The wires to the sensor are in connector "C2", there are quite a few other functions in that connector, but only things like door open sensors, etc. Perhaps it could be that you didn't get it plugged in all the way. An "open" to the sensor equals "full", I think "Bluecoupe" may have your answer.

Again, I have never heard of this being a problem before, but I do admit I've never tried changing the cluster.