New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

1st time posting

Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time posting

I bought our 2004 coupe about a year and a half ago as a Christmas present for my wife. She saw the car and liked it enough to call me at work and tell me about it. I looked at Craigslist and found one locally and it turns out that it was the one she followed in traffic! More than that, when I called the number, it turns out that it was owned by someone I worked with before. We managed to complete the loan and pay him to be able to pick the car up on Christmas eve 2011. My wife was thrilled. Needless to say, I had been admiring the car for years but was reluctant to look at them for silly reasons. My only caveat was that I had to be able to fit into the car since I am 6'3" and about 280. I think I am at the limit of being able to comfortably fit in the car.
The car is black with the dark gray/light gray interior. It's in great shape for having 59,750 miles on it. The tires are the Michelin A/S Pilot Z rated tires. They only had a about 5,000 miles on them when we first got the car. The car had very few problems with it.
1) One of the interior cabin lights was not working. After disassembly I found that the bulb and socket were not seated properly - Easy fix.
2) The passenger side low beam was aimed very low (4 feet in front of the car). I removed the socket and rotated it to the proper position and it was fine. It's curious that this was listed as a prior repair. It seems that the repair person had no clue and really didn't repair it.
3) The cabin air filter seems to never have been replaced and there were quit a few leaves in there that were removed.
4) The air filters were quite dirty and I replaced them with K&N filters. I have used these on all of my cars and wouldn't use anything but.
5) There were 2 LEDs not working on the 3rd brake light. I've successfully replaced them, even though the originals are no longer available. I'm an electrical engineer now working as a reliability engineer these days and was able to find suitable cross references.
6) There was the chronic CEL light problem that seemed to be fixed with the replacement of the little one-way valve. It's been 6 months since the repair and it has only recurred twice.

The forum has been great. I didn't pick up on it until after we bought the car. I've bought several of the common parts that seemed to commonly fail along with tools I didn't already have. Oil and filters were another item to stock up on. I've always wrenched our cars for most things and I've been wrenching and restoring antique Indians as well as working on my Sparrow electric car. In a way, the xfire has been more fun since it hasn't needed much in the way of repairs. I think we will own the car for a long time. We both really like it a lot, although it is technically my wife's car. She's the one that has had it up to 110 mph shortly after we bought it. But you didn't hear that from me.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 1st time posting

Welcome to the family, Cantfly.
If you haven't already done so, check out the RCM fix. It has solved alot of different CEL problems.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

And if you wouldn't mind, how about letting us in on the cross-reffed LEDs you used.

Looking forward to hearing from you more often!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by cantfly
6) There was the chronic CEL light problem that seemed to be fixed with the replacement of the little one-way valve. It's been 6 months since the repair and it has only recurred twice.
Welcome to the forum. \
If the CEL has come on then there is still a problem.
No light = no problem, well not one that has turned on the light.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 472 Likes on 329 Posts

So you have been lurking here since January 2012 and just posted now ?
We glad you came out of the closet and joined the rest of us in a online conversation.
Wishing you continued good luck with the car and many more miles of enjoyment ahead.

Gary