New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

XF Tom's Daughter in Houston, Texas

Old 01-07-2015, 04:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: XF Tom's Daughter in Houston, Texas

IMG_6262sm-installed.jpg

Don't know how "exact" it is in match - but close enough it looks like it belongs. LOL

Old 01-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My screen name is : dtinker. I am glad to help you if I can and I am sure others would be inclined to offer any assistance they are able to do. I am in Houston on the NW side of town. There are several others out here as well. As for the radio, I would check the fuse( under the hood) there could also be another fuse under the dash at the radio back. The XF is a complicated auto, but is very reliable and only a few things that fail.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:29 PM

Thanks to everyone for the support and suggestions on the radio. It has turned into quite an interesting experience. I am very grateful to Bill F. for the locations of the radio fuses, that was an easy start. I had no idea what a working radio looked like because I had no lights or text at all on the radio face. It was completely dead.

I replaced the fuses, got in the car and turned it on and...nothing. Still no lights, no sound, no nothing. I closed the door and sat there for a minute with the car running, and realized that I was hearing something rhythmic coming from the passenger's side. I leaned over the console and put my ear up to the speaker against the drive shaft, and I could hear a very, very faint rendition of "Fever" playing from the speaker. I was able to get a little more volume, but it is very low. And I have no controls via the radio at all. I recognize the songs that are playing as a CD that Daddy listened to, so the CD player is playing a disc, but I don't have the ability to eject it, change tracks, change radio functions or anything else. Very strange. At least it isn't totally quiet when I drive the car, but it certainly isn't working the way it is supposed to.

I may try to pop the radio - when it isn't raining -and see if the connections are secure. If they look okay and I can't get any additional controls, I'll probably just replace it. I appreciate the Kenwood and Crutchfield input. Crutchfield does make it look like pulling the stock radio is pretty simple, so I may try to work with the connections first.

That's the update. Thanks to everyone for your support. i will keep you updated! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Cindy

Old 01-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yep, just insert the two removal keys with notches toward the inside until you hear a click, then pull and out it comes !
There is plenty of harness to get it clear of the dash.
When you get it out, check the fuse on the back of the radio.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

If I were doing it again I'd probably go with the Kenwood instead of the Clarion but now have three of the "C"s and know where the buttons are. Does look like a more compact & integrated installation than mine.

Agree is good build an adapter using the Scoche "VW" plug, that way if you decide to go back stock the wiring has not been butchered.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XF Tom's Daughter. I am here in Houston Also...actually Pasadena. I have an extra factory radio I can give you if you still need it. Just let me know. I see a good amount of XF's in Houston but getting in touch with those is a chore...most are hauling a** on the freeway.
If you come across any other issues just send me a PM I can fix just about everything on these. Welcome to the XF Family

Old 01-20-2015, 06:20 PM

Wow, that's fabulous! And it's good to meet you. I'm in Bellaire, so we aren't that far apart.

I also have a right rear binding / rubbing kind of sound. I imagine that Daddy just didn't hear it, but it is a bit concerning on tight right turns. So, to avoid going around the world to the left, I plan to take it in to have it checked over. I decided to let whoever does the check pull the radio and replace the internal radio fuse to see if that's it. That is plays the phantom CD, but I have no way to communicate with the radio at all tells me that there is power to the unit, but there is no control, so maybe it is that radio fuse. If so, I won't need a new radio. If it is that the radio is shot, I will take you up on your generous offer.

Since you're in the area, maybe you can answer my question about where to take the car for service. The only real concern I have is that noise on right turns. The radio is just something that would be nice to have, and I'm intrigued by this navigation system...I've never seen it in action. Having the stock system would be kind of nice, just for consistency. I have River Oaks / Helfman Jeep Chrysler near me, at Kirby and 59. Do you have any strong opinions about them in terms of their quality or honesty? If you aren't a fan, who would you use?

I don't see too many of these cars around. A few, but not many. It seems, based on these threads, that folks do a lot of modification to them. It reminds me of owning a Harley...you want the bike, but it is the mods that make it yours. Is that correct? I think this one is about as stock as you can get, I don't think that Daddy did anything to it. I'm looking forward to seeing some of what can be done.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it very much. I was going to schedule an appointment with Helman, so let me know if you think I should plan to take it somewhere else. It is certainly drivable, but distance isn't a huge problem. But before I really do any serious driving, I want to find out what is causing the noise and be sure that I'm not causing any damage.

Cindy

Old 01-20-2015, 06:58 PM

If I were you, and a member like Trenzman offered his expertise, that is the first place I would take the car.
The LAST place I would take it is to a Chrysler dealership. ( Yes, I know, there are a FEW exceptions )
Second choice would be a reliable 3rd party MB shop.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:13 PM

If Trenzman can look at the car and diagnose and / or fix the rubbing sound, that'd be great. I don't know where to take it, that's my problem. I'd be thrilled to have someone who knows these cars and would be willing to take me on as a class project / client. If he offers, I'd be ecstatic. I was fine replacing fuses, but anything else is probably above my pay grade.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:16 PM

Trenzman said :
If you come across any other issues just send me a PM I can fix just about everything on these. Welcome to the XF Family
I can't speak for him, but if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, then I'd call it an offer.

( I'd be happy to help too, heck it's only a 11 hour drive one way for you )

Old 01-20-2015, 10:41 PM
Forum Regular

Believe it or not....they are easier to fix that most people think. But you do need to at least know a little about cars. This car will actually tell you whats wrong with it all you have to do is listen

Old 01-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by XF Tom
If Trenzman can look at the car and diagnose and / or fix the rubbing sound, that'd be great. I don't know where to take it, that's my problem. I'd be thrilled to have someone who knows these cars and would be willing to take me on as a class project / client. If he offers, I'd be ecstatic. I was fine replacing fuses, but anything else is probably above my pay grade.

Dont worry ...after a month on this forum with these guys and girls you will be out in the driveway replacing shocks, led lights, HID's, putting in some drop springs and the throttle body upgrade

Old 01-20-2015, 10:49 PM

It's telling me that it feels like my right knee feels some mornings. If my knee had a sound associated with it, this would be the sound.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 PM
Forum Regular

Dont forget to join the facebook page..Chrysler Crossfire Owners and Texas Chrysler Crossfire Group. Its easier to get answers there because every is on Facebook..