New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

New member with a rattle from engine or gearbox

Old 10-11-2015, 02:57 PM
KWW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with a rattle from engine or gearbox

Hi
I am new to Chrysler ownership having bought a Crossfire just over a month ago, up until now I was very pleased with the car I have only done about 150 miles since owning the car, today I went for a drive, everything was fine until I got back home, when I turned the engine off there was a rattle from the engine or gearbox, not sure which, it sounded like a nut or bolt loose being thrown around in the engine or gearbox by oil. I restarted engine, rev'ed it up and then let rev's die down, again I heard the noise, the car is proforming ok, oil pressure ok, water tempreture ok, outside the car, engine sounds fine, noise seems far more noticeable from inside the car. The car is a 2004 with manual gearbox, done 34k, I would appreciate your thoughts.
Regards
Ken

Old 10-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: New member with a rattle from engine or gearbox

Welcome! Was it in neutral when you heard this, or in gear with clutch depresses? Does it move under it own power still? If so, take a short gentle drive to check all gears.
How did you check oil pressure? (just curious)

Old 10-12-2015, 02:24 AM
KWW

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
Welcome! Was it in neutral when you heard this, or in gear with clutch depresses? Does it move under it own power still? If so, take a short gentle drive to check all gears.
How did you check oil pressure? (just curious)
Thanks pioneer4x4 for your interest in my problem, I had just returned home, after driving through town using all gears did not suspect anything wrong with the car had preformed perfectly, I parked the car on the drive and turned the key to stop engine that's when I heard the noise for the first time, (all theses checks were made in neutral with no pressure on the clutch pedal) then re-started engine gave it a few rev's let it die down and heard the noise again, and was able to repeat time and time again. Incidently the engine ticks over very smooth and quiet, it just makes the rattle when engine stopping by being turned off on the key. Regarding oil pressure, nothing clever, I just checked oil warning light was coming on and going out.
Regards
Ken

Old 10-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KWW
Regarding oil pressure, nothing clever, I just checked oil warning light was coming on and going out.
Regards
Ken
I think the light it not a oil pressure light just a oil level light.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:59 PM

My guess is you will need a couple of people listening in different areas. Maybe lay under it on car ramps while someone makes it cause the noise. How many miles? I have heard a catalytic converter do a weird rattle when shut down, or a specific rpm.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:59 AM
KWW

Thanks once again pioneer4x4 for your help and interest, yesterday morning I decided to take my car to my local garage, spoke with the owner and he had one of his fitters take a look, and listen at the car, within minutes he had assured me it was nothing to do with the engine or gearbox and suggested a broken exhaust bracket or a cat fault, he then put the car on a ramp and after a thorough check over he confirmed the catalytic converter in the middle of the car had begun to break up.
Now in talks with dealer who supplied the car, will be interesting to see how generous he is, after all it is a ten year old car, but worth a try?
Well done pioneer4x4, spot on with your diagnoses, and thanks.
Regards
Ken

Last edited by KWW; 10-13-2015 at 05:00 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-13-2015, 09:34 AM

Cool, how many miles? I suspect it is caused by the steering wheel on the wrong side, just a guess ;-)