New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

How we took a bold risk and joined the Xfire family

Old 11-17-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How we took a bold risk and joined the Xfire family

16 and he owns a Crossfire. (Yeah, he has a pretty cool Dad. I didn't get mine until I was 19.

Last edited by +fireamx; 11-17-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just changed the anti freeze in my 04 Crossfire using the Zerex G-05 it is almost clear.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase! I saw that XF on the Milwaukee Craigslist as well, even with 174k clocked, $2,500 is pretty good trade off, considering parting it out might of brought more.

You're right though, that is a fairly rough neighborhood, but morning hours everyone is sleeping after late night extra curricular activities. Not my neighborhood, just worked in the area during a six month contracting job.

Excellent story though, had you had made a previous post, I would of gladly offered any additional help (Being 30 miles west of Milwaukee Co.) with heated garage, tooling, or fluids, I'm well stocked since purchasing my XF last March.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 11-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walmart does have the best deal on the jug of oil at $26.44
a qt. But at 16yo. That still adds up to a lot of money. LOL.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2 good sayings
"If you can afford to put gas in your car, you can afford to put oil in it"
"If you can't afford to put oil in your car, you certainly can't afford the results of not putting oil in it"
I like seeing people get interested in maintaining things on their own. The hassle and price of finding someone that cares as much as you and you can trust is almost never worth it to me.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm - when I picked up the Zerex coolant, I did see a blue coolant that meets Asian car specs (no silicates, versus the Zerex G-05 which has them), so i wonder if that was installed by mistake, and didn't protect my heater core Still haven't proven that's the problem, but the service manual (in addition to the de rigueur dash dis-assembly) calls for evacuating the A/C system(!) to remove the heater core housing. Not looking forward to the event if that really is the reason behind my coolant loss and the antifreeze smell in the cabin, but the excellent $12 RockAuto clearance price on the core means there's one in a box at home ready to go.

Yes, my opinion of the neighborhood we recovered her from was also informed by the empty Glock holster on the seller's hip, but for a $2k price and the story to tell, was well worth the adventure.

Due to the reluctance of ANY of the 8 or 9 locksmiths I called in Chicagoland to work on the ignition lock cylinder, I took matters into my own hands (and I do agree, if you want something done right by someone who cares, that someone better be you!). You can see from the picture, it's not that difficult. By the grace of God, the first 6 of the tumblers (and the key shape) on the salvage cylinder matched our existing key. By rearranging (2) of the last 4, and picking up one that was on the car floor from the thief, I was able to get 9 of the 10 tumblers looking flush with the cylinder with the original key installed. When tried in the lock housing, though, there was substantial drag when turning. I suppose some time with the Dremel (cutting brass tumblers flush with the cylinder) would have made the fit best, but I was dealing with the original worn key, and worn salvage tumblers, then the profiles sticking out changed when jiggling the key deeper and shallower, so I opted for the simpler solution, and just pulled 3 of the most-offending tumblers. The 6 remaining work great, and I still have the transponder/SKREEM system to protect the car from starting, and we're fine with that. Vroom!

Another hour of struggle getting the lower dash together (heh, glad I have a motivated teen for the upside-down work) and he drove for a spin around the block (er, actually several blocks hard to turn back home!). Even sitting in the passenger seat, i was quickly reminded of how much fun this car is. I gots to have me one, when finances permit.

Parts and tools trickling in (air & fuel filters, Bosch CPS & star sockets, still haven't seen the blower resistor) keep us excited about the next steps to reliable, happy motoring. Now to follow the B service checklist and reset the FFS service indicator...good times!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tumbler.JPG (1.56 MB, 36 views)

Last edited by Kowmander; 11-23-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowmander

Due to the reluctance of ANY of the 8 or 9 locksmiths I called in Chicagoland to work on the ignition lock cylinder, I took matters into my own hands (and I do agree, if you want something done right by someone who cares, that someone better be you!). You can see from the picture, it's not that difficult. By the grace of God, the first 6 of the tumblers (and the key shape) on the salvage cylinder matched our existing key. By rearranging (2) of the last 4, and picking up one that was on the car floor from the thief, I was able to get 9 of the 10 tumblers looking flush with the cylinder with the original key installed. When tried in the lock housing, though, there was substantial drag when turning. I suppose some time with the Dremel (cutting brass tumblers flush with the cylinder) would have made the fit best, but I was dealing with the original worn key, and worn salvage tumblers, then the profiles sticking out changed when jiggling the key deeper and shallower, so I opted for the simpler solution, and just pulled 3 of the most-offending tumblers. The 6 remaining work great, and I still have the transponder/SKREEM system to protect the car from starting, and we're fine with that. Vroom!
Excellent work, thanks for the post. The couple that had their key stolen could do something similar in my opinion.

Last edited by pioneer4x4; 11-23-2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowmander

Due to the reluctance of ANY of the 8 or 9 locksmiths I called in Chicagoland to work on the ignition lock cylinder, I took matters into my own hands (and I do agree, if you want something done right by someone who cares, that someone better be you!). You can see from the picture, it's not that difficult. By the grace of God, the first 6 of the tumblers (and the key shape) on the salvage cylinder matched
You're best doing it yourself, it saves money and agro.
The experiences I have had with locksmiths have not been good, whatever they do they want to charge a small fortune for, I think their skill sets do not warrant what they ask, their not exactly brain surgeons after all. Acting like little Hitlers with their key codes etc.

I wanted a key made for a door, I was told it was a high security key and it would cost extra, FU I thought. I had it made at the local hardware store for a few bucks or so.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:34 PM

I just uploaded a video of the sound today after I picked the car up.

https://youtu.be/l6d0sH8y6wc

I'm starting to lean towards the issue being the cat converter and 02 sensors

Last edited by Xenial; 02-08-2019 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Wrong thread.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:30 PM

PIONEER 4X4 are you from Pgh.??
I am from Crabtree... Born in Beechview
from Lionelman

Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelman
PIONEER 4X4 are you from Pgh.??
I am from Crabtree... Born in Beechview
from Lionelman
In the last three years or so he may have moved, this is an old thread.
He last posted in 2016.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-11-2019 at 11:24 PM.