New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

10 Years of Waiting

Old 12-17-2020, 01:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 10 Years of Waiting

Hello Crossfire Fans,

My name is Kern Fischer and I live in S.W. Missouri, near Branson. I am not new to the forum but I am a new owner, since March of 2020. I have had an interest in Crossfires for about 10 years now but never acquired one until now.

Back in 2010, my wife and I looked at a nice Aero Blue SRT6 coupe but decided that we did not want another two seat car, so we passed and acquired an Infiniti G37 coupe, which we still have.

I have been lurking on the forum site for a couple of years, now that I had the means to acquire a Crossfire. My preference was for an Aero Blue coupe because I like the style of the coupes. However, as I thought about it, I felt the Roadster had more upside potential in either retaining or gaining value over time and I enjoy driving topless.

A forum poster indicated that he had a Sapphire Silver Blue SRT6 Roadster that he wanted to sell as he was not driving it much. I decided that the color was a good second choice. It was a two owner car that had migrated from California to Colorado, to Illinois, and to Tennessee. It had seen no snow and only occasional rain and had a clean CarFax. A friend from the area checked the car for me and indicated that it was like new, inside and out. We eventually made the deal in November 2019 and worked out a three stage payment plan. The previous owner agreed to keep it over the winter for me and I picked it up in March 2020, just before the covid hit. My first drive in the car started at 17,008 miles.

I learned of the Crossfires In The Ozarks event on the forum. The host motel was only about an hour drive from my home so I decided to go down on Saturday to see what it was about. While there I met Zach Joslyn and Bob McCubbin. If I returned the next day, Zach would do the sticky key mod on my car and Bob would do the trunk lock mod, both free. While the trunk mod was being performed I also asked Bob about the flashing brake lamp module that he had mentioned. He offered to install one from his tool kit. I asked about the cost and he said he would do it for no cost. What great people!!!!

The car currently has about 18,500 on the clock and still has its original tires, which are almost worn out. I will have to install a new set prior to the vehicle inspection in March. Meanwhile, I am enjoying the car on clear, dry days, sometimes topless.

Since buying the car I have acquired a service CD and some original promotional literature. Through the forum, I also made contact with “Gray Ghost” who had an original, unused set of SRT6 luggage and made arrangements to purchase those.

Kern

The following users liked this post:
Franc Rauscher (12-21-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 02:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: 10 Years of Waiting

Welcome! You acquired a great car...almost the best of both worlds in my book. An SRT6 and a drop top! Strictly a personal preference but I had an SSB SRT6 coupe for 2 years. It's a rocket! I just missed rowing gears...again a personal preference. We now have an '06 LTD drop top.

You did good in your buy and again welcome to this support net of fellow Crossfire nuts!

Regards,

Old 12-17-2020, 03:38 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Were you aware of all of the information and documentation in this link?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Old 12-17-2020, 03:44 PM

Jim,

Thank you for the welcome.

I also prefer rowing through the gears. However, in this selection, I much preferred the supercharged engine to the manual gearbox.

In June of 2019 I purchased a 2013 Fiat 500 ABARTh that more than satisfies my manual box fix. It is a hoot to drive - light, small, and agile with good power and great gas mileage!!!

We currently have four cars with automatics (one is my wife's and she insists on an automatic) and two with 5 speeds. Two of the automatics have paddle shifters and the Crossfire has the lever shift selection, so they are a good compromise between an automatic and a manual.

Drive FAST & SAFE,

Kern

Old 12-17-2020, 05:05 PM

ZeRacer,

I have wandered around the forum but had not found the site that you referenced.

Thank you for that information.

Kern

Old 12-17-2020, 07:14 PM
Administrator
Received 887 Likes on 691 Posts

It was good meeting you in Eureka Springs, Kern.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:32 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kern
Jim,

I also prefer rowing through the gears. However, in this selection, I much preferred the supercharged engine to the manual gearbox.

In June of 2019 I purchased a 2013 Fiat 500 ABARTh that more than satisfies my manual box fix. It is a hoot to drive - light, small, and agile with good power and great gas mileage!!!

We currently have four cars with automatics (one is my wife's and she insists on an automatic) and two with 5 speeds. Two of the automatics have paddle shifters and the Crossfire has the lever shift selection, so they are a good compromise between an automatic and a manual.

Drive FAST & SAFE,

Kern
Welcome to the forum.....AND from a fellow Abarth owner. Ours is a 2016, and definitely a hoot to drive.

Old 12-19-2020, 04:21 PM

Hello smfrycruzr,

Through my 76 years of owning different vehicles, I had never owned a Chrysler product - until 2019. Now I own two of them!!

I tend to gravitate towards those cars that are not the usual fare that one sees every day on the road. As an example, I owned three Edsels, only one of which I drove, and had two different AMC products, along with some imports thrown in. I was in the automotive industry during the 60s and 70s muscle car era and knew the handling qualities of those cars. I never had the desire for only straight line horsepower. I wanted to go around corners!

The Crossfire fits very nicely with my other desired selections.

Kern

Old 12-19-2020, 05:31 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

The SRT-6 is both a great cornering automobile but also very quick in a straight line.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:29 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kern
Hello smfrycruzr,

Through my 76 years of owning different vehicles, I had never owned a Chrysler product - until 2019. Now I own two of them!!

I tend to gravitate towards those cars that are not the usual fare that one sees every day on the road. As an example, I owned three Edsels, only one of which I drove, and had two different AMC products, along with some imports thrown in. I was in the automotive industry during the 60s and 70s muscle car era and knew the handling qualities of those cars. I never had the desire for only straight line horsepower. I wanted to go around corners!

The Crossfire fits very nicely with my other desired selections.

Kern
Hello Kern,
Funny thing that...I've owned nothing but Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth products since 1980. The only time we didn't buy "Mopar", it turned into the worst piece of ..., well I'll let you fill in the blank, this is a family forum. lol

Old 12-20-2020, 11:58 AM

Zeracer, I agree regarding the capabilities of the SRT6. I chose this model because I wanted the increased handling capabilities and extra horsepower over the standard model.

I have an Infiniti G37 coupe that has similar handling and horsepower and is a little less twitchy than the Crossfire, due to its slightly longer wheelbase. Also, the Infiniti is one of the few cars I have noted where all four brake calipers are on the front of the rotor. In analyzing the braking forces, the calipers on the front tend to put a downward force on the caliper mounts during braking. This force is transmitted to the wheel hubs and to the wheel/tire assemblies, resulting in higher tire loads and more traction during braking. How much force and improved braking is involved, I do not know, but the Infiniti does stop very well.

Kern

Old 12-20-2020, 09:39 PM
Received 508 Likes on 351 Posts

Welcome to the Forum Kern.

I too have a struggle between the Manual and the auto with more HP. The wife and I have had 3 SRT"s one being a convertible. But she likes the coupe. I like the rag top but missed rowing the gears. Se we are back to our original two purchase back in 2008 and 2009. She has the Aero Blue SRT coupe and I Limp along behind her in the SSB with a manual.
BTW, the NA handles the twisties better than the SRT6. Jus' sayin"

We haven't been as active in the last few years. Our small packaging business has taken much of our time. Mine actually was in storage for two years. But lately, they are becoming daily drivers again. And are still a kick to drive.

Hopefully we can begin attending the social gatherings once more when this damn COVID thing is over

Old 12-21-2020, 09:03 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Hopefully we can begin attending the social gatherings once more when this damn COVID thing is over
Looking forward to that Franc!

Old 12-21-2020, 11:01 AM
Received 508 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by smfrycruzr
Hello Kern,
Funny thing that...I've owned nothing but Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth products since 1980. The only time we didn't buy "Mopar", it turned into the worst piece of ..., well I'll let you fill in the blank, this is a family forum. lol
I have had a similar experience. Only my Chrysler allegiance started in 1968 when my fiancée wanted a Plymouth Convertible instead of a Pontiac Bonneville. We bought nothing but Chryslers until I went to work and Enterprise Leasing which was, at that time, almost entirely GM. After that period, we went back to Chrysler and I also got into Mercedes Sedans

I thought it cool that Daimler bought out Chrysler. And it is why I bought the Crossfire. Of course they had split by then .But I still liked the Benz products.

No longer. Into BMW's now.

And a fleet of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles. Last count was 8 vehicles from that brand. Plus the two BMW's. Insane, I know. But so many options for doing so many things.